• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Temporary MPH decal for KmH speedo

WalterK75

Is there something I can put over my kph speedo that shows mph? If I go into the US it would be nice to have something like this. I'd like a transparent static cling type that shows miles per hour and saves me the task of converting all the time. It would also increase my accuracy in maintaining legal road speed and help avoid getting pulled over for speeding.

Faced with this type of thing, I have cut small arrows out of a tape like blue painters tape and stuck them on at common intervals such as 20, 40, 60, MPH.
OM

Or you can just remember a few easy ones, 50kmh is about 30 mph, 70kmh is about 45mph, 90 kmh is about 55mph, 120kmh is about 75mph, 160kmh is 100mph. I ride/drive in both countries and have never had an issue. There are only about half a dozen speed limits out there so why worry?

I never bother to change what my GPS is set on which is metric, I typically only use it to show speed, time and whatever so I do know what my speed is in real time but I also know my speedo's on most of my vehicles have about a 5% error so no big deal there either.

If you remember you multiplication tables from school, Just multiply the KPH x 6 it will get you close enough. 50KPHx.6=30MPH, 70KPHx.6=42MPH, 90KPHx.6=54MPH. Or drop the zero off the KPH so 50 become 5, 5x6=30 and so on. It has worked for me while traveling in Canada.

If you know the fibonacci sequence you can convert fairly easy for common ones.

Fibonacci sequence is
1 2 3 5 8 13 (each number is the sum of the 2 previous numbers, so easily calculate the sequence in your head too)

Oddly to convert miles to kilometers approximately, just go to the next number in the sequence.

1 mile is about 2 kilometers. 2 is about 3, 3 is about 5, 5 is about 8, etc...

Add a 10's column and its still fairly accurate so 10's about 20, 20's about 30, etc...

And it works for MPH verse KPH too. So 80 KPH is about 50 mph..

Should get close enough to avoid a ticket.

I have no idea why BMW ships bikes to the USA with mph and smaller text showing kph.

Our Canadian Beemers must be meant to be ridden only in Canada as mph indicators are not included on our speedometers. It seems that on occasion I may have violated BMW's intention as to in which country I should be riding.

I have no idea why BMW ships bikes to the USA with mph and smaller text showing kph.

Our Canadian Beemers must be meant to be ridden only in Canada as mph indicators are not included on our speedometers. It seems that on occasion I may have violated BMW's intention as to in which country I should be riding.

And I would love to have the reverse here in Canada. Yes, a GPS works, but man it would be so easy to put both units on the speedometer. Seems incongruous for a marque that still promotes world wide travel anywhere two wheels can go.

Au Contraire. Your Canadian models are equipped to go virtually anywhere in the world where the Metric system is used while our meager US models had to be specially configured for the Luddites who still use yards, feet, inches, and miles in a long ago dwindled area of the world. As a token bone they give us the inner ring of metric numbers too small to read but there nonetheless.

Au Contraire. Your Canadian models are equipped to go virtually anywhere in the world where the Metric system is used while our meager US models had to be specially configured for the Luddites who still use yards, feet, inches, and miles in a long ago dwindled area of the world. As a token bone they give us the inner ring of metric numbers too small to read but there nonetheless.

:rofl

I'm thinking that if the Canadian Models were truly equipped to go anywhere they would have pontoons :) I think I have some Witworth hanging around.
To save a click-
The Whitworth thread was the world's first national screw thread standard,[1] devised and specified by Joseph Whitworth in 1841. Until then, the only standardization was what little had been done by individual people and companies, with some companies' in-house standards spreading a bit within their industries. Whitworth's new standard specified a 55° thread angle and a thread depth of 0.640327p and a radius of 0.137329p, where p is the pitch. The thread pitch increases with diameter in steps specified on a chart.

Whatever it takes.

OM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

I'm thinking that if the Canadian Models were truly equipped to go anywhere they would have pontoons :) I think I have some Witworth hanging around.
To save a click-
The Whitworth thread was the world's first national screw thread standard,[1] devised and specified by Joseph Whitworth in 1841. Until then, the only standardization was what little had been done by individual people and companies, with some companies' in-house standards spreading a bit within their industries. Whitworth's new standard specified a 55° thread angle and a thread depth of 0.640327p and a radius of 0.137329p, where p is the pitch. The thread pitch increases with diameter in steps specified on a chart.

Whatever it takes.

OM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

I still have my Whitworth adjustable wrench made by Crescent and my Whitworth pliers made by Channellock. :wave

Back