• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trip in Corsica and Sardinia September 2019

addstar

Hi everyone!
We have set for the trip in Island Corsica (France) and Sardinia (Italy) on Mid of September this year.
Is any advises or suggestions from those who made these islands on bike welcome to share!
We will rent a bike from Nice, France and return same place.
Thank you!
Have a good season on two wheels!

Be especially alert when you come across dung on the road as the roaming livestock is close by. You will have a blast. Look for the roads less travelled.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Don't have access to my maps right now, but we had a very enjoyable two-night stay in Saint Florent on NW coast after riding around the Thumb from Bastia. It's a "typical" example of a Med Port with many fancy yachts docked beside the main thoroughfare, with lots of pedestrians and many bikers going around the township. You sit at outdoor tables, drink adult beverages and enjoy the sites! Two Thumbs Up for that town.:thumb:thumb

Also had an interesting visit in Porto Vecchio, but it was an encounter with former New Yorker who married into a local Vintner's family and is raising her family & grapes on the SE coast (I'll try to find the name & address of the vineyard). You'll have a splendid adventure no matter where you end up! And get out and ride the many tiny backroads too; how lost can you get on an island...

Just Relax & Enjoy!
CIAO! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

5 nights in Corsica

You'll have fun..on the Ferry from Genoa (take the overnight and rent a sleeping cabin) 2 fellows from Germany who had toured Corsica a couple of times before look out for 5 things: cattle, pigs, sand, droppings from animals and trees and tourists.

We spent most of our time in the southwest part of the island staying near Pietrosella and a couple of nights in Patrimonio before boarding the ferry back. Visiting the citadel in Bonifacio and riding D-81 through Calanques de Piana and up to Nonza is a great ride. We did ride to St Florent and Bastia. If you go through Genoa, finding the Ferry dock is a bit of a challenge and traffic is a bit of a jam after the collapse of the bridge last year. We also rode in September and weather was great. Roads are narrow and traffic was generally light except for Bastia. Have fun..no report on Sardinia as we did not make it there.

Be especially alert when you come across dung on the road as the roaming livestock is close by. You will have a blast. Look for the roads less travelled.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for alert!
We will watch all animals along the roads!

Don't have access to my maps right now, but we had a very enjoyable two-night stay in Saint Florent on NW coast after riding around the Thumb from Bastia. It's a "typical" example of a Med Port with many fancy yachts docked beside the main thoroughfare, with lots of pedestrians and many bikers going around the township. You sit at outdoor tables, drink adult beverages and enjoy the sites! Two Thumbs Up for that town.:thumb:thumb

Also had an interesting visit in Porto Vecchio, but it was an encounter with former New Yorker who married into a local Vintner's family and is raising her family & grapes on the SE coast (I'll try to find the name & address of the vineyard). You'll have a splendid adventure no matter where you end up! And get out and ride the many tiny backroads too; how lost can you get on an island...

Just Relax & Enjoy!
Thank you for very good points and spots to spend great time and open the culture and find out local people!
If you get the vineyard name will be awesome!

You'll have fun..on the Ferry from Genoa (take the overnight and rent a sleeping cabin) 2 fellows from Germany who had toured Corsica a couple of times before look out for 5 things: cattle, pigs, sand, droppings from animals and trees and tourists.

We spent most of our time in the southwest part of the island staying near Pietrosella and a couple of nights in Patrimonio before boarding the ferry back. Visiting the citadel in Bonifacio and riding D-81 through Calanques de Piana and up to Nonza is a great ride. We did ride to St Florent and Bastia. If you go through Genoa, finding the Ferry dock is a bit of a challenge and traffic is a bit of a jam after the collapse of the bridge last year. We also rode in September and weather was great. Roads are narrow and traffic was generally light except for Bastia. Have fun..no report on Sardinia as we did not make it there.

Thank you guys!
We will take overnight ferry from Nice to Bastia and overnight ferry from Sardinia to Livorno
The plan is also take a ride from Genoa to Nice and stay overnight at National Park Cinque Terre.
We know about traffic problem because the bridge collapsed last year and plan accordingly.
We like hiking and hope to find nice trails and virgin beaches to swim as well to see the new coast lines on both islands Corsica and Sardinia.
Have a nice journey and safe ride!

No information for Corsica, but a little for Sardinia.

1). Travel to the inland area of the island. Many small towns and slower living.

2). Try the local wines and do not be surprised if they look a little cloudy.

3). Remember a lot of the stores will close in the middle of the afternoon for a couple of hours.

4). Be sure to visit/see the cork trees and buy a post card made out of cork.

5). Take a look at visiting Mt Limbara & Tempio. (google Mt. Limbara for more Info).

6). SS125 & SS127 is a great road from the northern coast to Tempio/Mt. Limbara. Twisty and ridge road. Also great beaches in the north part of the island.

7). The road from Tempio to Alghero is very good with several sites to see along the way.

8). While I have not been to this area the southern part of the island has several sight to see.

Have fun in Sardinia and remember they have a slow pace. Be sure to go to the beaches in the Northern tip of the island. They have some of the bluest water I have ever seen. Also be aware the water will be cool anytime of the year.

Hi everyone!
We have set for the trip in Island Corsica (France) and Sardinia (Italy) on Mid of September this year.
Is any advises or suggestions from those who made these islands on bike welcome to share!
We will rent a bike from Nice, France and return same place.
Thank you!
Have a good season on two wheels!

I wish you were on Facebook, I’ve been posting pics and videos of my riding in Corsica and Sardinia there.

In Corsica I stayed in Corte, up in the mountains. In Sardinia I stayed in Cala Gonone, which is on the eastern shore.

When I get back to the US I will put some pics on SmugMug and give you some additional info.

You gotta ride the Cap de Corse... the west side is over the top

No information for Corsica, but a little for Sardinia.

1). Travel to the inland area of the island. Many small towns and slower living.

2). Try the local wines and do not be surprised if they look a little cloudy.

3). Remember a lot of the stores will close in the middle of the afternoon for a couple of hours.

4). Be sure to visit/see the cork trees and buy a post card made out of cork.

5). Take a look at visiting Mt Limbara & Tempio. (google Mt. Limbara for more Info).

6). SS125 & SS127 is a great road from the northern coast to Tempio/Mt. Limbara. Twisty and ridge road. Also great beaches in the north part of the island.

7). The road from Tempio to Alghero is very good with several sites to see along the way.

8). While I have not been to this area the southern part of the island has several sight to see.

Have fun in Sardinia and remember they have a slow pace. Be sure to go to the beaches in the Northern tip of the island. They have some of the bluest water I have ever seen. Also be aware the water will be cool anytime of the year.

Thank you so much , Chuck!
We will check those roads and try to swim if the water warm enough!
Yes, we aware about slow motion life style on islands and will not rush there.
Just would like to test and enjoy these places and rural nature !

Just Relax & Enjoy!

The New Yorker's vineyard: along the Chemin de La Croix À Torraccia, is not to be missed. Ask her to shoot you a sample of whatever's in the Giant stainless steel settling tank (beside the tasting Bar; ours was a delicious Rosé), and prepare for a thorough history lesson. Fascinating stopover! Tell her "HEY!" from Phil & Karen. {waypoint from our GPS tracks: N41° 40.789' E9° 20.071'}

Our 'random rendezvous' w/Sara actually began in Lecci, along N198, at Le Bistro du Boulanger beside a small roundabout, north of Porto-Vecchio, when I was desperate for some coffee & some pastry. She heard us chatting in the queue, and gave me the 3rd degree about not being from Baltimore cause my accent wasn't correct. Next thing we know, we're invited for a special tasting of her husband's family vineyard & business!

Obviously, a wonderful place to meet the transplanted local American from NY! :yum
Bistro.jpeg

From the nearby roundabout, you'll have to wend your way eastward to the end of a narrow, winding, residential street; I think you'll see signs for a church & school. Just keep going to the very end of the road... Prepare to hike through the farmstead for a fine view over the nearby vines and orchards to the Mediterranean Sea... :thumb

HSV-Karen during our long walk from the winery to the vineyard (in all our gear)!
Vineyard.jpeg

P.S. Get a hold of a good Michelin Map of your islands. We procured ours from a Swiss couple we met at lunch; they were headed 'home' and our many memorable adventures were just beginning! Hope to return with some friends before too long! It is a wonderful place to be savoured - as John Hermann writes in his famous book: The Alps and Corsica

Last edited:
Calvi

Noting the age of this thread I'm not sure if you're back yet. Hopefully you got to check out Calvi on Corsica. I was there with the French Foreign Legion in 84/85/86. Napoleon's home is up the top of the town. Beautiful part of the world.

Back