Thread: 2013 R1200RT front strut leaking problem

2013 R1200RT front strut leaking problem

Hello to everyone!
    My BMW dealer notices my front suspension strut is leaking and needs to be replaced.
    Itís an ESA suspension and must be replaced the whole part by BMW standard.
    I wonder if they replace just shock with spring or they will replace the whole assembly of this front strut.
    Itís very expensive part. The bike has only 60k miles on highway riding mostly two ups, cross country.
    If anybody has replaced it already or had same issue please share your experience and details.
    We are going in the trip in May and I debate myself to replace right before the trip or after vacation.
    Thank you and have a great season of riding!

Contact Ted Porter at the Beemershop: http://www.beemershop.com/

Ted can tell you what all of your options are including aftermarket struts or BMW struts using the existing ESA control and adjustment components.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Ditto, call Ted.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Contact Ted Porter at the Beemershop: http://www.beemershop.com/

Ted can tell you what all of your options are including aftermarket struts or BMW struts using the existing ESA control and adjustment components.
    That is your answer.

I recommend doing both ends. You will not regret it.

GD
    (New to me) 2010 R1200RT after HD Electra Glides for 35 years

Welcome to the forum addstar

Are you doing the replacement? Or you looking for an option at a dealer?

The ESA is a assembly and they will R&R the unit at the dealer. Some dealers may offer going aftermarket...some do not.

There are at least two shock makers who transfer the ESA onto their product or was when I did mine years ago. Wilbers and Ohlins...and then Touratech makes a plug and play replacement system with remote motor unit. The first two were a cheaper route than replacing with another OEM and is set to your riding preferences and weight (s).

I had the ESA motor put on a set of Wilbers by Ted and the bike was down on my shop floor for a little over ten days with shipping and their work on the units. I guess it depends on his timelines so just a guesstimate.

Oh, a leak never stops and may seriously give you handling issues at some point.Mine was on the rear and dumped almost all its oil...very rough ride home, luckily close that day.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Kluas at EPM performance is a good guy for questions you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Lucky year!

Our 2013 RT must be a lucky year, LOL. I just finished installing a new set of Tractive shocks from Ted Porter. I had to send them my rear assembly to transfer over my old parts to the new shock. They turned it around in a day and both shocks were on their way back to me. My reasons for replacing both were cost, ride height and performance. Just the front shock at the dealer (Canada) was quoted as $2,090 plus 12% tax. I bought a both shocks, one inch lowered (perfect fit now!) shipped to the Canada border for the same price after converting to the Canadian Peso. The removal and installation was relatively simple. I haven't even had a chance to test ride them but the ride height change alone makes me happy to make the switch.

Good Luck, Leon
    Leon
    Kelowna BC Canada
    2013 BMW R1200RT

I put Tractive Shocks from Teds on my bike also.. I had 60 K on my stock shocks.. It's night and day better now.. I don't have to dodge any bumps in the road like a scared squirrel anymore.
    I actually don't feel much of anything now.. It's not cheap upgrading.. but I'm not as tired on a full days ride now.. That says a lot for my comfort.

I'm sure a new set of factory shocks would ride nice, but the aftermarket stuff is better and cheaper (less expensive) I think..

If you don't have the coin for new then how about this......

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/31427716584.html
    "Whether you think you can...or you think you can't -- you're right"