• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT front strut leaking problem

addstar

Hello to everyone!
My BMW dealer notices my front suspension strut is leaking and needs to be replaced.
It’s an ESA suspension and must be replaced the whole part by BMW standard.
I wonder if they replace just shock with spring or they will replace the whole assembly of this front strut.
It’s very expensive part. The bike has only 60k miles on highway riding mostly two ups, cross country.
If anybody has replaced it already or had same issue please share your experience and details.
We are going in the trip in May and I debate myself to replace right before the trip or after vacation.
Thank you and have a great season of riding!

Welcome to the forum addstar:wave

Are you doing the replacement? Or you looking for an option at a dealer?

The ESA is a assembly and they will R&R the unit at the dealer. Some dealers may offer going aftermarket...some do not.

There are at least two shock makers who transfer the ESA onto their product or was when I did mine years ago. Wilbers and Ohlins...and then Touratech makes a plug and play replacement system with remote motor unit. The first two were a cheaper route than replacing with another OEM and is set to your riding preferences and weight (s).

I had the ESA motor put on a set of Wilbers by Ted and the bike was down on my shop floor for a little over ten days with shipping and their work on the units. I guess it depends on his timelines so just a guesstimate.

Oh, a leak never stops and may seriously give you handling issues at some point.Mine was on the rear and dumped almost all its oil...very rough ride home, luckily close that day.

Kluas at EPM performance is a good guy for questions you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Lucky year!

Our 2013 RT must be a lucky year, LOL. I just finished installing a new set of Tractive shocks from Ted Porter. I had to send them my rear assembly to transfer over my old parts to the new shock. They turned it around in a day and both shocks were on their way back to me. My reasons for replacing both were cost, ride height and performance. Just the front shock at the dealer (Canada) was quoted as $2,090 plus 12% tax. I bought a both shocks, one inch lowered (perfect fit now!) shipped to the Canada border for the same price after converting to the Canadian Peso. The removal and installation was relatively simple. I haven't even had a chance to test ride them but the ride height change alone makes me happy to make the switch.

Good Luck, Leon

I put Tractive Shocks from Teds on my bike also.. I had 60 K on my stock shocks.. It's night and day better now.. I don't have to dodge any bumps in the road like a scared squirrel anymore.
I actually don't feel much of anything now.. It's not cheap upgrading.. but I'm not as tired on a full days ride now.. That says a lot for my comfort.

I'm sure a new set of factory shocks would ride nice, but the aftermarket stuff is better and cheaper (less expensive) I think..

Back