• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 intermittent engine revs but no power

ARMYMUTT

After doing my top end reseal, I put the bike back together. Now I'm getting an intermittent issue where I twist the throttle and the engine revs, but my speed slowly decreases. It's almost like the bike is in 1st gear when it is in 3rd. I can't tie it to any condition. It happens whether the gas is a week old or fresh. Any ideas of what I can check?

After doing my top end reseal, I put the bike back together. Now I'm getting an intermittent issue where I twist the throttle and the engine revs, but my speed slowly decreases. It's almost like the bike is in 1st gear when it is in 3rd. I can't tie it to any condition. It happens whether the gas is a week old or fresh. Any ideas of what I can check?

I am not sure I understand. You say you twist the throttle, the engine revs, but speed decreases.

If you roll the throttle but the rpm of the engine does not increase and you slow down that is an engine issue.

If you roll the throttle and engine rpm goes up but speed does not or decreases that is a slipping clutch.

The higher the gear, the worse the slipping clutch will be. In high gear, the torque from the engine can easily overcome the clutch if not adjusted right or if the clutch disk is contaminated with oil.

I didn't mess with the clutch at all. It has more freeplay than any of my other bikes. Seems to me that if the clutch was the issue, it would be associated with operating the clutch. This occurs while I'm just cruising down the road. It comes on, last for about 10 seconds, then goes away.

I didn't mess with the clutch at all. It has more freeplay than any of my other bikes. Seems to me that if the clutch was the issue, it would be associated with operating the clutch. This occurs while I'm just cruising down the road. It comes on, last for about 10 seconds, then goes away.

I by chance happen to have a K75 that has a slipping clutch. Riding along at say 70 mph (the speed limit) in 5th gear, if I roll sharply on the throttle the engine rpm increases but the bike does not accelerate. Or simply riding along if I encounter a hill and roll on slightly the clutch slips. In forth gear the result is much diminished. This is typical of a clutch issue which comes down to basically two choices: the clutch disk is too thin, or the clutch is contaminated with a lubricant - gear oil, engine oil, or on early hydraulic clutch bikes, brake fluid.

Last edited:
That's interesting, and is pretty similar to what is going on. Seems odd that it only occurred after I did the re-seal. Could it have been contaminated in someway during the procedure? I had the tranny replaced a decade ago. I wonder if the guy who did it screwed up the seal. Apparently, he did like to drink a lot while wrenching.

The good news is, if need be, one can R&R the trans in a weekend. Start with a proper adjustment as suggested first though. Could be something simple.

I'm reading through Snowbum's article on how to do it. Not giving me a warm and fuzzy with all the warnings. Going to have to look for some videos and picture sites.

Clutch may be slipping as discussed by others but also confirm:

Rear wheel splines and spline cup rivets

Trans input shaft still has teeth

Spline cup at rear of drive shaft still firmly attached

Clutch may be slipping as discussed by others but also confirm:

Rear wheel splines and spline cup rivets

Trans input shaft still has teeth

Spline cup at rear of drive shaft still firmly attached

It might be helpful if you further explain

"Top end reseal"

And

"Put the bike back together"

It might be helpful if you further explain

"Top end reseal"

And

"Put the bike back together"

Top end reseal - changed the cylinder base gaskets, head gaskets, pushrod tube seals, o-rings in the head, and rocker cover gaskets. Put the bike back together - return all parts to their correct operating location at the appropriate torque.

Took the bike for a 60 mile ride, including some distance behind school buses making stops every 50 yards. Lots of stop and go. Had no issues this time around. I guess I'll just have to see if it happens again.

Could be an intake vacuum leaking pure air in and leaning out one or both carbs. Easy to cause with old hard rubber tubes or a loose vacuum port screw. Easy to cure by refitting parts. Might not even be aware of the leak.

Timing advance mechanism can stick intermittently messing with engine performance.

Sounds can be deceiving, misleading and confusing.

When I have a new symptom after service, I look at what I did and what's near to the recent work.
John

Back