• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

so... about those podcasts...

chiba

hack'd
A few people have mentioned the podcasts on the Forums, and Reece encouraged me to post a bit about them, so here we go.

There are two MOA-produced podcasts; the first is Chasing the Horizon and it is aimed at the entire body of motorcycle riders and the motorcycle industry. There are two parts to each episode - first, news about what's going on in the motorcycle industry at large, especially some overseas stuff that might be outside most riders' radar. I also get into some racing news from time to time. Second is a discussion with somebody from the motorcycle world - maybe a regular rider, but also maybe a CEO.

You can (of course) subscribe to Chasing the Horizon in any major podcast-listening app or platform, or you can also stream the episodes directly from the CTH website at http://horizon.bmwmoa.org/. We're up to 47 episodes and Episode 48 will feature an interview done by another MOA member, Scott Correy. It will be Scott's third appearance on the show, but the first time an interview he's done is the centerpiece.

The second podcast is 200 Miles Before Breakfast, and it is all about the members of the MOA. In each episode I talk about some upcoming MOA event or member benefit, then have a chat with a member of the MOA. It's been a lot of fun getting to know my fellow members. You can subscribe to 200MBB anywhere you like, too, and you can also stream from the MOA website at https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/200milespodcast. I'll be pushing the 10th episode some time over the weekend, Monday at the latest.

I've greatly enjoyed creating the podcasts from the ground up and the support for them that's come from the members, staff and Directors. I look forward to continuing both shows and am always open to suggestions from you as to who you'd like me to have as a guest on either show. Feel free to post here or to email me at podcast@bmwmoa.org. Between both shows you can get a new episode every Monday morning for your commute to work!!

As I say at the end of every CTH episode - see you out there on the road... or off it! Ride safe :)

Since I can embed an episode directly, here's the most recent episode of both shows. Enjoy!

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/9212639/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/9122231/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

:thumb:thumb on the Alonzo Bodden episode of CTH.

One suggestion for the 200 miles page - you list the episodes and they have names attached, but a bio synopsis about the featured member would make it more likely to gain enough interest to click on one and give it a listen.

:thumb:thumb on the Alonzo Bodden episode of CTH.
He was a ton of fun to talk to and LOVES his BMWs. If he comes to your town, please support him by going to see his show. Dude is funny!

One suggestion for the 200 miles page - you list the episodes and they have names attached, but a bio synopsis about the featured member would make it more likely to gain enough interest to click on one and give it a listen.
Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good idea. We're discussing better ways to process/store/display the 200MBB episodes so once we settle on something, I'll incorporate this idea.

The Podcasts

I have thoroughly enjoyed the (both) podcasts, and have found myself listening to the one with Jack Riepe repeatedly; we could tell you were tickled to talk with him too!! Keep up the good work, with interesting guests and your intelligent questions.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the (both) podcasts, and have found myself listening to the one with Jack Riepe repeatedly; we could tell you were tickled to talk with him too!! Keep up the good work, with interesting guests and your intelligent questions.

Thanks Lance - yeah, Jack cracked me up enough that several times I had to mute my microphone.

Here's the newest episode of 200MBB; our guest is Deb Gasque, 2018 Rally Co-Chair and Iron Butt Fashionista Extraordinaire!

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/9322754/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

New episode of Chasing the Horizon is available - get it here before it goes out to subscribers!

Our guest is Loryn Cole, who restored a Honda XL250R from the ground up and went on to display it in the One Moto show out in Portland. She's interviewed by Scott Correy and Elizabeth Howe, a couple that have co-hosted before and are helping out with more & more as they get more involved in the MOA.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/9384236/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Got a little behind! Now you're all caught up ... new CTH out on Monday, Episode 50!

200MBB Ep 11, with Barry Dwernychuk from British Columbia

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/9477248/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

CTH Ep 49, with Travis Wyman. Travis is part of a racing family & currently is doing quite well in the Stock 1000 class in MotoAmerica.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/9550766/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Got a little behind! Now you're all caught up ...

Thank you, Wes for doing these and for posting links here on the forum. This, imo, is money well spent.

It could be even better spent, imo, if the MOA made the investment to place PAID advertising via social media and Google AdWords system. Use the podcasts as “bait,” of course.

We could be reaching TONS of non-members that are interested in BMW motorcycles, making a positive impression through your work, and making a pitch for joining the MOA. (See previous discussions about sales funnels).

I know you probably don’t get paid much to do these, but we could be getting SO MUCH MORE return on our investment if we just threw a few dollars toward paid placement.

:thumb

Ian

Last edited:
<iframe style="border: none;" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/9659645/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Wes, MOA member since 2011, is currently the president of the club's Board of Directors. We chat about motorcycles, the MOA, volunteerism and the upcoming 2019 Rally in Lebanon, Tennessee. This episode includes news about personnel changes at BMW Motorrad and next year's rally date and location, too!

Where's Wes?

Sabbatical, LOA, or summer flu?

Have not seen any new episodes lately on CTH or 200? Am I missing something?

Hope you are well, Wes.

John

Let's call it a sabbatical :)

Fresh episode - #54 - featuring Wendy Crockett, winner of the 2019 Iron Butt Rally.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/10668212/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Ooof... I have been slacking!! Here's the episodes I neglected to post in a timely fashion (hope y'all are subscribing tho)

Motorcycle industry news from July 2019
<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/10676294/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Jay Giraud, founder of Damon Motorcycles
<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/10990715/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Motorcycle industry news from August 2019
<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/10990769/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Lemmy from RevZilla
<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/11066912/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Caius Tenche, founder of the Toronto Motorcycle Film Festival
<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/11247068/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Plus the newest episodes of 200 Miles Before Breakfast

Vance & Mari Harrelson, this year's rally chairs
<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/9827321/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

A deep dive into the MOA's Tourstart app
<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/10910681/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Lisa Taylor, one of the women vying for a spot on the international women's GS Trophy team
<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/11153486/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Newest episode of 200 Miles Before Breakfast is available - features a discussion (during the TN rally) with John & Tena Gallagher, a two-up touring team.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/11346797/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Monarch Pass1.jpeg

AIMExpo 2019 interviews from the floor

I talked to LOTS of people this year - though, oddly, only one dealer would chat with me on the record. Most dealers did not exhibit a lot of excitement about the show this year.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/11482907/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Cliff Musante

Cliff gave a seminar at the Rally in Lebanon about GPS use ... and now he's on an epic journey!! Check out his blog at http://motocliffnotes.info and his YouTube channel as well.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/11507636/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

musante 04.jpg

Thank you for doing the podcasts! I recently started listening to them. Enjoyed the 1 with Wendy winning the IBR. Absolutely loved the Peter Egan interview , lol a few times , have enjoyed his writing for a while . I like him even more after listening to him !

Thank you for doing the podcasts! I recently started listening to them. Enjoyed the 1 with Wendy winning the IBR. Absolutely loved the Peter Egan interview , lol a few times , have enjoyed his writing for a while . I like him even more after listening to him !

Thanks for listening, Bart (Mark?), glad you're enjoying the show. Hopefully you'll enjoy the discussion with my next guest, Ryan from FortNine!

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/11980397/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Ryan2 crop.jpg

Due to my work schedule, I've been struggling to get 200 Miles out. I'll have at least one if not two episodes out before the end of the year, and in 2020 my work schedule should ease up and allow me to get back to producing those episodes more regularly.

In the meantime, here is a two-part episode featuring Hans Muth, designer of a number of motorcycles including the R 90 S, R 65 LS, the first Suzuki Katana and the original concept for the first GS. Thanks again to Todd Trumbore for putting on the anniversary event back in September and inviting me & connecting me with Hans.

Hans here stands with an R 65 LS.
Hans Muth 600.jpg

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/12153467/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/12153515/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f7ac06/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Back