• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Limited speed on K1600B Grand America 2018

NHTSA has opened an investigation into front end directional stability (wobble) issues on BMW K1600 motorcycles. This is a result of 8 complaints to the Feds followed by discussion with BMW identifying an additional 15 or so complaints of wobble issues at speeds above 60 miles per hour. The notice of the investigation simply says K1600 and does not identify which submodels are included in the investigation.

Wow!

Keep us posted. :wave

I have read a ton of complaints about the K1600B's top speed limiter (mostly on the K1600 Forum). As a GTL owner, whose motorcycle supposedly isn't top speed limited, I have a few observations.

If a complaint from B owners is that they should be able to drive as fast as they want, then I am fine with that. That's an argument that can be made. But if you are going to argue that not being able to get to 100 to 140 mph is a safety issue, you're out of your mind. Don't ask me how I know, but the time it takes the big K to get from 110 to 132 (GPS Speed - ahem!) is not quick. It takes a few moments to get there. Its not instant 0-100 mph acceleration. It is not quick enough to get you out of trouble. If you are arguing that you need instant acceleration from 70 to 100, I am with you.

Regardless, if you are going that fast, you are overriding your ability to react. And any reaction you have is likely to destabilize your bike anyway. Throw in the discussion that the B or GA is unstable at those speeds... it's just not worth it. Especially if you're an idiot and decide you want to see how fast it will go. (by the last comment I am only referring to the idiot who knows it takes a while to get up to 132 mph)

If you want to survive on the road, don't attempt to pass multiple large vehicles unless you absolutely know it can be safely done. Speed is no substitute for good judgement. :dunno

Friedle

Dude, whatever happened to “Ride Fast and Take Chances” ... did you get old or something? :ha

I had no idea that this model was restricted to 100mph. I wouldn’t buy it because of this and it makes me wonder if the bike’s design makes it unstable at speed?

Ian

That seems rather slow, for bragging rights. So some fat old guy on a dirty GS can run off and leave you. And of course the rider on the R1250RT can run off and leave him. The S1000RR rider yawns and shifts to 4th.

There is always someone faster, smarter etc. Just go ride.

Interesting stories beat bragging rights.

Rod

A lot of good comments here. I seriously doubt that I will ever see the top speed on my R1200RT, but take some comfort in knowing that the extra ponies are there. This thread reminds me of a C. S. Lewis quote I saw recently:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under Robber Barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep. his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience..."

Seems applicable, so I thought I'd share it.

I ride a G310GS. Due to its displacement and horsepower it runs out of oomph at right about 145 kph. Are you suggesting this motorcycle is thus unsafe to ride? And if so, in what way and why?

unrelated but what do you think of the bike?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under Robber Barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep. his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience..."
Do you consider the pressure relief valve on your water heater to be a tyranny? Its purpose is to prevent the water heater from operating outside its safe design limits. Same for the speed limiter on the K1600B Grand America.

I guess it all depends on how you define tyranny. And FWIW, Lewis is one of my favorites :)

Dude, whatever happened to “Ride Fast and Take Chances” ... did you get old or something? :ha

I had no idea that this model was restricted to 100mph. I wouldn’t buy it because of this and it makes me wonder if the bike’s design makes it unstable at speed?

Ian

Hey Ian, my sig quote is "Ride fast safely". NOT "Ride Fast and Take Chances". Quite a difference between the two. It is what has enabled me to grow old AND ride fast !!! :wave :dance

Friedle

10-20 years ago BMW built the Cruiser, 60hp and slowest in class, a total disgrace. Now BMW builds a Bagger; 1600cc, 6 cylinders, dual overhead cam, 4 valve head, and it can barely hit 100mph, and it wobbles. This bike should be the bestest, fastest, safest, coolest, Bagger on the planet. :scratch:dunno

Do you consider the pressure relief valve on your water heater to be a tyranny? Its purpose is to prevent the water heater from operating outside its safe design limits. Same for the speed limiter on the K1600B Grand America.

I guess it all depends on how you define tyranny. And FWIW, Lewis is one of my favorites :)

Lol

No, I don't think the pressure relief valve is a tyranny, but I get no joy from increasing or decreasing my water pressure as I navigate the laundry either, so it's not quite an apt comparison.

I do agree that in today's world of astounding technology that surpasses human ability to cope that limits may be necessary. However, I also like for my bike to be able to pull away from pick-up trucks at any speed. This probably stems from my early days of riding, the early 70's, in Texas, where certain types of young men in cowboy hats found it greatly amusing to force motorcyclists off the road, if they could catch up to them. Old habits die hard I guess.

I like to know if some of you had the the computer remap on Grand America to cancel the limited speed set up?
The original set up limited to 162 KM/H is realy dangerous in some occasion on the road.
Any Dealers you know who could solve that promblem will be helpfull!!!!

You're dreaming if you think any "bagger" is safe over 100 mph.

Knowing BMW, they likely tested this. It was engineers doing the testing.

Another fantasy is thinking you'll find a dealer that will defeat this safety feature for you.

Our 3 series is limited to 155. Should we sell? :banghead

I'd prefer something over 100 on a motorcycle though. What I would not prefer is to pass blindly at over 100. :dunno

Knowing BMW, they likely tested this. It was engineers doing the testing.

Another fantasy is thinking you'll find a dealer that will defeat this safety feature for you.

Although rare, I find myself in agreement with lkchris. :D

Would either of you be ok if your cars were limited to say 100 mph speed? Just curious.:) Something tells me you like real performance.

Would either of you be ok if your cars were limited to say 100 mph speed? Just curious.:) Something tells me you like real performance.

Well, I wouldn't buy a bike that the engineers thought to be unsafe at over 100 mph. But to answer your question - no. :)

I guess a feeble attempt to limit the speed of all cars and bikes was made in the '70s by mandating 85 mph speedometers by that paragon of safety-mindedness and rear-steering motorcycle prototypes - Joan Claybrook.

The primary criteria in determining speed limiting is where the rubber hits the road.

Speaking strictly about the industry I am in, heavy equipment, semi's have the HP to hit serious speeds, the tires don't. You can gear a loader to get up to the 60 kmh range but they haven't made a tire yet that will.

The speed limiter on my primary bike is 132 mph. My fun bike, the speed limiter is 156 mph. Both use the same tire/size but one is 150 lbs lighter than the other.

Back