• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Limited speed on K1600B Grand America 2018

lougi

I like to know if some of you had the the computer remap on Grand America to cancel the limited speed set up?
The original set up limited to 162 KM/H is realy dangerous in some occasion on the road.
Any Dealers you know who could solve that promblem will be helpfull!!!!

I like to know if some of you had the the computer remap on Grand America to cancel the limited speed set up?
The original set up limited to 162 KM/H is realy dangerous in some occasion on the road.

Not many places where 162KPH/100MPH is safe on a public roadway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ride a G310GS. Due to its displacement and horsepower it runs out of oomph at right about 145 kph. Are you suggesting this motorcycle is thus unsafe to ride? And if so, in what way and why?

I will try to explain to you to survive on the road on a motocycle you have to make sure you are not at the wrong spot in the trafic.
I am riding motocycle since 42 years and almost of the time with my wife as a passenger.
Last summer on a trip in Atlantic Province I was in the trafic with 2 cars and a a big tractor & trailer who slow down the trafic in the font of me.
I knew if i stay there some car or truck will want to go front of us.
By the way it was the type of highway we have in New Brunswick 2 lanes with trafic each way not wath you call highway in US.
As soon i had the chance to double the 2 cars and tractor trailer i turn the trotle and start to go front but as soon i was side by side with the tractor trailer i realise a pick-up truck with a camping trailer was in front of him and it was the reason for the slow down in the trafic.
At that time i had the time to go front of every one but because of that of limited of speed i had to push the brakes to slow down and moving front of the tractor trailer and back of the pick-up truck and is camping trailer.
If you want survive on the road with a motocycle move on and do not be obstruction in the trafic!!!

If you want to survive on the road, don't attempt to pass multiple large vehicles unless you absolutely know it can be safely done. Speed is no substitute for good judgement. :dunno

Friedle

My objection to a speed limiter is more theoretical. Having done the ton a few times (for the fun) I probably will never put myself in a situation where I need to exceed 80, 90, 100. On the other hand, assuming the bike is safety capable of higher speed, I object to the manufacturer (somewhat arbitrarily) limiting the capability...even though I probably won't need or want it! I wonder if they limit the speed say in Germany where it is legal to far exceed that set speed. If so, the limit is even more annoying and smacks of nannyism.

Check with John Gemi Performance chips. See if he has one for a K1200B. I just googled his name. People have been using the new chips on K1200LT and other bikes.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnGS1100

I agree, leave the common sense to the rider not government rules. So they limit the S1000RR bike ? Not sure, but why if someone wants some track time you should be able to take your K1200B out there.

Report back your findings.

So they limit the S1000RR bike ?

I believe they have to in order to import into the US. The limit (I'm told) is 186 mph for all sport bikes. Converts to 300 km/hr. I learned that a few years ago when I was riding on the track.

limited speed

162 KPH is about 145 MPH. How is it that you have a realistic problem with that ?

I will try to explain to you to survive on the road on a motocycle you have to make sure you are not at the wrong spot in the trafic.
I am riding motocycle since 42 years and almost of the time with my wife as a passenger.
Last summer on a trip in Atlantic Province I was in the trafic with 2 cars and a a big tractor & trailer who slow down the trafic in the font of me.
By the way it was the type of highway we have in New Brunswick 2 lanes with trafic each way not wath you call highway in US.
As soon i had the chance to double the 2 cars and tractor trailer i turn the trotle and start to go front but as soon i was side by side with the tractor trailer i realise a pick-up truck with a camping trailer was in front of him and it was the reason for the slow down in the trafic.
At that time i had the time to go front of every one but because of that of limited of speed i had to push the brakes to slow down and moving front of the tractor trailer and back of the pick-up truck and is camping trailer.
If you want survive on the road with a motocycle move on and do not be obstruction in the trafic!!!

So you passed a semi truck, two cars and a pickup with a camper trailer, at one time? That doesn't look like a safe maneuver at any speed. So you pull out and hit 120 MPH to pass and the pickup and camper decides to pass grandma in her Prius that was in front of him that you did not see either. Now you are fresh road kill.

You need to be sure of the conditions before you pass! I am not saying it is wrong to pass multiple vehicles, but I sure would not go flying by them at twice their speed.

As for the K160B, I also would prefer to be allowed to control my top speed on my own. There has been talk of the "B" being unstable at high speed, the reason for the speed limiter.

Last edited:
My objection to a speed limiter is more theoretical. Having done the ton a few times (for the fun) I probably will never put myself in a situation where I need to exceed 80, 90, 100. On the other hand, assuming the bike is safety capable of higher speed, I object to the manufacturer (somewhat arbitrarily) limiting the capability...even though I probably won't need or want it! I wonder if they limit the speed say in Germany where it is legal to far exceed that set speed. If so, the limit is even more annoying and smacks of nannyism.

Get used to speed limiters. The European Union is making them mandatory for cars starting with 2022 models. I have not read that this also applies to motorcycles but I have also not that it doesn't. The current legislation mentions enough kph to equal 112 mph, but also speaks to GPS positioning and speed limiting based on speed limits. It will be a joke for a while and then they will get it worked out and I will be happy with my old bike.

Last edited:
Sure seem to recall there was a hold or something as the B rolled out. Stability at speed and the limiter seemed to address it.
The bagger may need some aero tweaking as perhaps it wasn't really intended to do Warp 7.

I think the speed limitation have to do with the aero and rear box. Since it is mandated by BMW I doubt any dealer will get involved. Any engine warranty would be voided I suspect.

I'd be surprised if a dealer would do this for you.
Your best best is a tuner and it may void the warranty, you'll need to research the warranty issue.
If you can put up with the limiter for three years you could have a tune done after warranty.

Get used to speed limiters. The European Union is making them mandatory for cars starting with 2022 models. I have not read that this also applies to motorcycles but I have also not that it doesn't. The current legislation mentions enough kph to equal 112 mph, but also speaks to GPS positioning and speed limiting based on speed limits. It will be a joke for a while and then they will get it worked out and I will be happy with my old bike.

The report I say mentioned limiting the vehicle to the posted speed limit.
This would be done with onboard cameras and GPS.

I can visualize the scenario you are describing. Friedle is correct - that "speed is a poor substitute for good judgment."

That being said, the very nature of motorcycling - the freedom we feel controlling our speed and road position so easily as compared to cages - does not foster an appetite for patience. How long any of us would have put up with that snail caravan you were in, is an individualized decision.

But I think most of us have found ourselves in a situation, right or wrong, where the instant application of great speed gets us out of harm's way. I think that's what you needed then and found it lacking, due to a 'limiter.'

I believe the HP should have been available, and for you to decide when and how to use it. There has been a time or two when even I have cracked triple digits to either compensate for a bad decision, or to avoid a road idiot.

Unfortunately, too many BMW riders think the performance capability of their bikes is a 'free pass' to treat USA interstates as 'Autobans.'

Some bikes (my son's former ST1300, for example) get unstable at near-top speed. Some manufacturers install limiters to avoid this situation.

Buy the bike that suits your needs, including the power to escape danger - whether it sneaks up on you or is self-inflicted. :dunno

Some bikes (my son's former ST1300, for example) get unstable at near-top speed. Some manufacturers install limiters to avoid this situation.

NHTSA has opened an investigation into front end directional stability (wobble) issues on BMW K1600 motorcycles. This is a result of 8 complaints to the Feds followed by discussion with BMW identifying an additional 15 or so complaints of wobble issues at speeds above 60 miles per hour. The notice of the investigation simply says K1600 and does not identify which submodels are included in the investigation.

K1600B Grand America Speed Limiter

You are correct. The speed limiter was introduced due to instability issues driven by the aerodynamics associated with the top box. This ensures that riders have sufficient threshold before reaching that point. As a former owner of a K1300S, I can't say that riding at full twist isn't a whole lot of fun but in the US where >100 mph imply very large speed differentials with other vehicles that are being passed, you're increasing the risk of a bad outcome substantially. In particular when you consider what it takes to get a driver's license in the US versus Germany! They may as well give them away in a box of Cheerios here! In any case, I doubt you'll get any dealer to help you with that request as it only exposes them to a significant liability.

Kent

Back