Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Limited speed on K1600B Grand America 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Limited speed on K1600B Grand America 2018

    I like to know if some of you had the the computer remap on Grand America to cancel the limited speed set up?
    The original set up limited to 162 KM/H is realy dangerous in some occasion on the road.
    Any Dealers you know who could solve that promblem will be helpfull!!!!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by lougi View Post
    I like to know if some of you had the the computer remap on Grand America to cancel the limited speed set up?
    The original set up limited to 162 KM/H is realy dangerous in some occasion on the road.
    Any Dealers you know who could solve that promblem will be helpfull!!!!
    Not many places where 162KPH/100MPH is safe on a public roadway.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    I ride a G310GS. Due to its displacement and horsepower it runs out of oomph at right about 145 kph. Are you suggesting this motorcycle is thus unsafe to ride? And if so, in what way and why?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    I will try to explain to you to survive on the road on a motocycle you have to make sure you are not at the wrong spot in the trafic.
    I am riding motocycle since 42 years and almost of the time with my wife as a passenger.
    Last summer on a trip in Atlantic Province I was in the trafic with 2 cars and a a big tractor & trailer who slow down the trafic in the font of me.
    I knew if i stay there some car or truck will want to go front of us.
    By the way it was the type of highway we have in New Brunswick 2 lanes with trafic each way not wath you call highway in US.
    As soon i had the chance to double the 2 cars and tractor trailer i turn the trotle and start to go front but as soon i was side by side with the tractor trailer i realise a pick-up truck with a camping trailer was in front of him and it was the reason for the slow down in the trafic.
    At that time i had the time to go front of every one but because of that of limited of speed i had to push the brakes to slow down and moving front of the tractor trailer and back of the pick-up truck and is camping trailer.
    If you want survive on the road with a motocycle move on and do not be obstruction in the trafic!!!

  5. #5
    '99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,734
    If you want to survive on the road, don't attempt to pass multiple large vehicles unless you absolutely know it can be safely done. Speed is no substitute for good judgement.

    Friedle
    Ride fast safely

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    297
    My objection to a speed limiter is more theoretical. Having done the ton a few times (for the fun) I probably will never put myself in a situation where I need to exceed 80, 90, 100. On the other hand, assuming the bike is safety capable of higher speed, I object to the manufacturer (somewhat arbitrarily) limiting the capability...even though I probably won't need or want it! I wonder if they limit the speed say in Germany where it is legal to far exceed that set speed. If so, the limit is even more annoying and smacks of nannyism.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    If you want to survive on the road, don't attempt to pass multiple large vehicles unless you absolutely know it can be safely done. Speed is no substitute for good judgement.

    Friedle
    Dude, whatever happened to “Ride Fast and Take Chances” ... did you get old or something?

    I had no idea that this model was restricted to 100mph. I wouldn’t buy it because of this and it makes me wonder if the bike’s design makes it unstable at speed?

    Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by lougi View Post
    I will try to explain to you to survive on the road on a motocycle you have to make sure you are not at the wrong spot in the trafic.
    I am riding motocycle since 42 years and almost of the time with my wife as a passenger.
    Last summer on a trip in Atlantic Province I was in the trafic with 2 cars and a a big tractor & trailer who slow down the trafic in the font of me.
    I knew if i stay there some car or truck will want to go front of us.
    By the way it was the type of highway we have in New Brunswick 2 lanes with trafic each way not wath you call highway in US.
    As soon i had the chance to double the 2 cars and tractor trailer i turn the trotle and start to go front but as soon i was side by side with the tractor trailer i realise a pick-up truck with a camping trailer was in front of him and it was the reason for the slow down in the trafic.
    At that time i had the time to go front of every one but because of that of limited of speed i had to push the brakes to slow down and moving front of the tractor trailer and back of the pick-up truck and is camping trailer.
    If you want survive on the road with a motocycle move on and do not be obstruction in the trafic!!!
    So you passed a semi truck, two cars and a pickup with a camper trailer, at one time? That doesn't look like a safe maneuver at any speed. So you pull out and hit 120 MPH to pass and the pickup and camper decides to pass grandma in her Prius that was in front of him that you did not see either. Now you are fresh road kill.

    You need to be sure of the conditions before you pass! I am not saying it is wrong to pass multiple vehicles, but I sure would not go flying by them at twice their speed.


    As for the K160B, I also would prefer to be allowed to control my top speed on my own. There has been talk of the "B" being unstable at high speed, the reason for the speed limiter.
    Last edited by PoorUB; 04-03-2019 at 11:47 AM.

  9. #9
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,320

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by lougi View Post
    I will try to explain to you to survive on the road on a motocycle you have to make sure you are not at the wrong spot in the trafic.
    I am riding motocycle since 42 years and almost of the time with my wife as a passenger.
    Last summer on a trip in Atlantic Province I was in the trafic with 2 cars and a a big tractor & trailer who slow down the trafic in the font of me.
    I knew if i stay there some car or truck will want to go front of us.
    By the way it was the type of highway we have in New Brunswick 2 lanes with trafic each way not wath you call highway in US.
    As soon i had the chance to double the 2 cars and tractor trailer i turn the trotle and start to go front but as soon i was side by side with the tractor trailer i realise a pick-up truck with a camping trailer was in front of him and it was the reason for the slow down in the trafic.
    At that time i had the time to go front of every one but because of that of limited of speed i had to push the brakes to slow down and moving front of the tractor trailer and back of the pick-up truck and is camping trailer.
    If you want survive on the road with a motocycle move on and do not be obstruction in the trafic!!!

    I can visualize the scenario you are describing. Friedle is correct - that "speed is a poor substitute for good judgment."

    That being said, the very nature of motorcycling - the freedom we feel controlling our speed and road position so easily as compared to cages - does not foster an appetite for patience. How long any of us would have put up with that snail caravan you were in, is an individualized decision.

    But I think most of us have found ourselves in a situation, right or wrong, where the instant application of great speed gets us out of harm's way. I think that's what you needed then and found it lacking, due to a 'limiter.'

    I believe the HP should have been available, and for you to decide when and how to use it. There has been a time or two when even I have cracked triple digits to either compensate for a bad decision, or to avoid a road idiot.

    Unfortunately, too many BMW riders think the performance capability of their bikes is a 'free pass' to treat USA interstates as 'Autobans.'

    Some bikes (my son's former ST1300, for example) get unstable at near-top speed. Some manufacturers install limiters to avoid this situation.

    Buy the bike that suits your needs, including the power to escape danger - whether it sneaks up on you or is self-inflicted.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post



    Some bikes (my son's former ST1300, for example) get unstable at near-top speed. Some manufacturers install limiters to avoid this situation.
    NHTSA has opened an investigation into front end directional stability (wobble) issues on BMW K1600 motorcycles. This is a result of 8 complaints to the Feds followed by discussion with BMW identifying an additional 15 or so complaints of wobble issues at speeds above 60 miles per hour. The notice of the investigation simply says K1600 and does not identify which submodels are included in the investigation.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I ride a G310GS. Due to its displacement and horsepower it runs out of oomph at right about 145 kph. Are you suggesting this motorcycle is thus unsafe to ride? And if so, in what way and why?
    unrelated but what do you think of the bike?

  12. #12

    limited speed

    Quote Originally Posted by lougi View Post
    I like to know if some of you had the the computer remap on Grand America to cancel the limited speed set up?
    The original set up limited to 162 KM/H is realy dangerous in some occasion on the road.
    Any Dealers you know who could solve that promblem will be helpfull!!!!
    162 KPH is about 145 MPH. How is it that you have a realistic problem with that ?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebombs View Post
    162 KPH is about 145 MPH. How is it that you have a realistic problem with that ?
    Check your math, you are 45 MPH high.

  14. #14
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,153
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebombs View Post
    162 KPH is about 145 MPH. How is it that you have a realistic problem with that ?
    162 KPH is 100.6 MPH.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  15. #15
    One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    216

    K1600B Grand America Speed Limiter

    You are correct. The speed limiter was introduced due to instability issues driven by the aerodynamics associated with the top box. This ensures that riders have sufficient threshold before reaching that point. As a former owner of a K1300S, I can't say that riding at full twist isn't a whole lot of fun but in the US where >100 mph imply very large speed differentials with other vehicles that are being passed, you're increasing the risk of a bad outcome substantially. In particular when you consider what it takes to get a driver's license in the US versus Germany! They may as well give them away in a box of Cheerios here! In any case, I doubt you'll get any dealer to help you with that request as it only exposes them to a significant liability.

    Kent

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-27-2019, 10:34 AM
  2. Is top Speed limited on K16B?
    By flhfxd in forum Straight 6 K1600 GT/GTL/B
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-02-2019, 09:46 PM
  3. Removing Top Case K1600B Grand America
    By lougi in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2019, 04:32 PM
  4. 2018 k1600b
    By stig302 in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2019, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •