Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Limited speed on K1600B Grand America 2018

Limited speed on K1600B Grand America 2018

I like to know if some of you had the the computer remap on Grand America to cancel the limited speed set up?
    The original set up limited to 162 KM/H is realy dangerous in some occasion on the road.
    Any Dealers you know who could solve that promblem will be helpfull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lougi View Post
    I like to know if some of you had the the computer remap on Grand America to cancel the limited speed set up?
    The original set up limited to 162 KM/H is realy dangerous in some occasion on the road.
    Not many places where 162KPH/100MPH is safe on a public roadway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ride a G310GS. Due to its displacement and horsepower it runs out of oomph at right about 145 kph. Are you suggesting this motorcycle is thus unsafe to ride? And if so, in what way and why?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I will try to explain to you to survive on the road on a motocycle you have to make sure you are not at the wrong spot in the trafic.
    I am riding motocycle since 42 years and almost of the time with my wife as a passenger.
    Last summer on a trip in Atlantic Province I was in the trafic with 2 cars and a a big tractor & trailer who slow down the trafic in the font of me.
    I knew if i stay there some car or truck will want to go front of us.
    By the way it was the type of highway we have in New Brunswick 2 lanes with trafic each way not wath you call highway in US.
    As soon i had the chance to double the 2 cars and tractor trailer i turn the trotle and start to go front but as soon i was side by side with the tractor trailer i realise a pick-up truck with a camping trailer was in front of him and it was the reason for the slow down in the trafic.
    At that time i had the time to go front of every one but because of that of limited of speed i had to push the brakes to slow down and moving front of the tractor trailer and back of the pick-up truck and is camping trailer.
    If you want survive on the road with a motocycle move on and do not be obstruction in the trafic!!!

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    If you want to survive on the road, don't attempt to pass multiple large vehicles unless you absolutely know it can be safely done. Speed is no substitute for good judgement.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

My objection to a speed limiter is more theoretical. Having done the ton a few times (for the fun) I probably will never put myself in a situation where I need to exceed 80, 90, 100. On the other hand, assuming the bike is safety capable of higher speed, I object to the manufacturer (somewhat arbitrarily) limiting the capability...even though I probably won't need or want it! I wonder if they limit the speed say in Germany where it is legal to far exceed that set speed. If so, the limit is even more annoying and smacks of nannyism.

Check with John Gemi Performance chips. See if he has one for a K1200B. I just googled his name. People have been using the new chips on K1200LT and other bikes.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnGS1100

I agree, leave the common sense to the rider not government rules. So they limit the S1000RR bike ? Not sure, but why if someone wants some track time you should be able to take your K1200B out there.

Report back your findings.
    2003 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
    So they limit the S1000RR bike ?
    I believe they have to in order to import into the US. The limit (I'm told) is 186 mph for all sport bikes. Converts to 300 km/hr. I learned that a few years ago when I was riding on the track.
    2015 R1200GSA

limited speed

162 KPH is about 145 MPH. How is it that you have a realistic problem with that ?

Quote Originally Posted by bikebombs View Post
    162 KPH is about 145 MPH. How is it that you have a realistic problem with that ?
    Check your math, you are 45 MPH high.

I will try to explain to you to survive on the road on a motocycle you have to make sure you are not at the wrong spot in the trafic.
    I am riding motocycle since 42 years and almost of the time with my wife as a passenger.
    Last summer on a trip in Atlantic Province I was in the trafic with 2 cars and a a big tractor & trailer who slow down the trafic in the font of me.
    I knew if i stay there some car or truck will want to go front of us.
    By the way it was the type of highway we have in New Brunswick 2 lanes with trafic each way not wath you call highway in US.
    As soon i had the chance to double the 2 cars and tractor trailer i turn the trotle and start to go front but as soon i was side by side with the tractor trailer i realise a pick-up truck with a camping trailer was in front of him and it was the reason for the slow down in the trafic.
    At that time i had the time to go front of every one but because of that of limited of speed i had to push the brakes to slow down and moving front of the tractor trailer and back of the pick-up truck and is camping trailer.
    If you want survive on the road with a motocycle move on and do not be obstruction in the trafic!!!
    So you passed a semi truck, two cars and a pickup with a camper trailer, at one time? That doesn't look like a safe maneuver at any speed. So you pull out and hit 120 MPH to pass and the pickup and camper decides to pass grandma in her Prius that was in front of him that you did not see either. Now you are fresh road kill.

You need to be sure of the conditions before you pass! I am not saying it is wrong to pass multiple vehicles, but I sure would not go flying by them at twice their speed.

As for the K160B, I also would prefer to be allowed to control my top speed on my own. There has been talk of the "B" being unstable at high speed, the reason for the speed limiter.
    Last edited by PoorUB; 04-03-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    My objection to a speed limiter is more theoretical. Having done the ton a few times (for the fun) I probably will never put myself in a situation where I need to exceed 80, 90, 100. On the other hand, assuming the bike is safety capable of higher speed, I object to the manufacturer (somewhat arbitrarily) limiting the capability...even though I probably won't need or want it! I wonder if they limit the speed say in Germany where it is legal to far exceed that set speed. If so, the limit is even more annoying and smacks of nannyism.
    Get used to speed limiters. The European Union is making them mandatory for cars starting with 2022 models. I have not read that this also applies to motorcycles but I have also not that it doesn't. The current legislation mentions enough kph to equal 112 mph, but also speaks to GPS positioning and speed limiting based on speed limits. It will be a joke for a while and then they will get it worked out and I will be happy with my old bike.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-03-2019 at 04:02 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Sure seem to recall there was a hold or something as the B rolled out. Stability at speed and the limiter seemed to address it.
    The bagger may need some aero tweaking as perhaps it wasn't really intended to do Warp 7.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I think the speed limitation have to do with the aero and rear box. Since it is mandated by BMW I doubt any dealer will get involved. Any engine warranty would be voided I suspect.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Quote Originally Posted by bikebombs View Post
    162 KPH is 100.6 MPH.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT