• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning: Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

I took my '13 R1200RT to Laguna Seca and had a blast. I can't wait to bring the wethead! That's where the quickshifter and extra power will really shine. My '13 could only get to about 110 on the straight before the braking point for turn 2 (never made it past 4th gear).

2017-red.jpg

Wow. Red never looked finer and I love your Clearwater Ericas. They are as good as a "Cow Catcher" on my '17 GSA!

But some of the posts underestimate Harley’s power band. They pull pretty good up to about 125. I just still don’t care for the wonder wheel with the trip odometer, the radio or the indicators. And I could have had a K1600. And I just renewed my bmw .org membership. So I’m baaack!!!

125 MPH? Certainly not on a stock Harley! Not a bagger anyway. I have had a 2005 Ultra, a 2010 Ultra and currently own a 2016 Limited. Not one of them would do 110 MPH in stock form. Pipes and tune perhaps, cams even better and you can get over 125 MPH.

125 MPH? Certainly not on a stock Harley! Not a bagger anyway. I have had a 2005 Ultra, a 2010 Ultra and currently own a 2016 Limited. Not one of them would do 110 MPH in stock form. Pipes and tune perhaps, cams even better and you can get over 125 MPH.

I mean a Harley-Davidson. 125 mph no problemo. Been there. Done that.

I mean a Harley-Davidson. 125 mph no problemo. Been there. Done that.

My point was, not on a stock Harley, at least a bagger. A Softail or Dyna might do it.
I have been over 125 on a Harley a few times, but it was not stock.
It gets even worse if you use a GPS. The harley speedo is maybe 6% fast so 100 MPH is closer to an actual 95. 125 closer to 115.

I'm with you! For about 5 years I flew to Kansas City and rented a Ultra Limited. First with the 96" motor then the 106" (I think is was 106 or maybe 103) but the HP motor for sure. We rode on wide open roads out west and the 96" motor could not get above 100MPH. It ran out of steam at about 98 MPH. The newer motor would run 100MPH for sure but not much above 105 and that is pinned wide open. Maybe 110 downhill. On once trip we met a bunch of police officers from all over Colorado and they were on a bunch of different bikes. I was discussing the Harley with them and the Harley rider agreed the 96" would run out of steam at 100 for sure. The new motor a bit better. But NONE close to 125. No way no how. At least not stock. Oh .... maybe the CVO motor. YES! But none of the others.

Oh ... and there is not a Harley I've seen that my RT could not run away from. Hey ... I'm not bad mouthing Harleys. They are a nice bike and very comfortable. But they are what they are. I truly enjoyed my 25,000 Harley miles over the 5 years I rented out west. And the dealers are great when you are on the road.

This is a BMW forum and I don't want to get into trouble babbling on about a different motorcycle brand but:
Harley has had a new 107 motor for about 2 years and a 114 more recently (114 cis is 1868ccs, about 60% more than RT's 1170) not to mention the CVOs. They had two motor upgrades before that since you rode one, a 103 and a HO 103. They are noticeably stronger than the 96, suspension quite improved. I did 125 mph on my 103 Road Glide, a little wobbly and I wouldn't do it again, but 125. And Harley has a certified speedo.

This is a BMW forum and I don't want to get into trouble babbling on about a different motorcycle brand but:
Harley has had a new 107 motor for about 2 years and a 114 more recently (114 cis is 1868ccs, about 60% more than RT's 1170) not to mention the CVOs. They had two motor upgrades before that since you rode one, a 103 and a HO 103. They are noticeably stronger than the 96, suspension quite improved. I did 125 mph on my 103 Road Glide, a little wobbly and I wouldn't do it again, but 125. And Harley has a certified speedo.

The 103 motor Road Glide has 85 HP and weighs 850 pounds. The RT has 125 HP and weighs 600 pounds. :dunno

The 103 motor Road Glide has 85 HP and weighs 850 pounds. The RT has 125 HP and weighs 600 pounds. :dunno
I don't believe a Harley bagger can easily do 125 MPH and "still pulling hard" at that speed. I've owned 96 ci Softails (3 of them) that could never reach that speed. My 2009 H-D XR1200 Sportster, with factory-enhanced performance mods, weighing in at 570 lbs would barely do that speed, flat out. I like Harleys, but they are what they are.

Last edited:
Proof? Document what you state as fact. :dunno

It says "certified" right on it! For example,

https://www.ebay.com/p/2002-HARLEY-...40-miles-SPEEDO-SPRINGER-67033-99A/1111837951

I would like to know what agency certifies them. They don't do a very good job, or they have very relaxed specs! Probably certified by Harley Davidson as a genuine HD speedo. Not to be confused with certified for accuracy!:rofl

My 2005 and my 2010 were about 6% off checked against a GPS. My 2016 is closer, maybe 3% off. My riding buddy has had 4 different Harleys and his findings were the same so I am certain it is not a fluke.

My 2005 with the stock 88" would bump 110 on a good day. My 2010 with the 96" and 2016 with a 103" were worse, maybe 105 at best. A little engine work, cams, tune and exhaust fixed that right up on all of them. The EPA tune chokes the heck out of them. I never could understand why an engine of that size can't produce more HP and torque and still meet EPA. Other manufacturers do it.

It says "certified" right on it!

I would like to know what agency certifies them. They don't do a very good job, or they have very relaxed specs! Probably certified by Harley Davidson as a genuine HD speedo. Not to be confused with certified for accuracy!:rofl
:)

I liked my Harleys, all 5 of them, and I knew their limits. They weren't bred for the autobahn. :)

Last edited:
NI was going to drop it, but some of the posters seem to me to be incorrect. Horsepower is not torque x rpm. Torque and gearing are large factors in top speed, until air pressure becomes overwhelming. Lightness and horsepower are large factors in quickness, not just top speed. Horsepower does push air when it gets limiting. The 107 makes all kinds of more torque than your Bmw 1200, so did the 103, and they has overdrive to take advantage of it. If you are recalling any older Harley’s, forget them. Newer Harley’s look simply to old Harley’s, but the mechanics are completely upgraded.

Last edited:
NI was going to drop it, but some of the posters seem to me to be incorrect. Horsepower is not torque x rpm. Torque and gearing are large factors in top speed, until air pressure becomes overwhelming. Lightness and horsepower are large factors in quickness, not just top speed. Horsepower does push air when it gets limiting. The 107 makes all kinds of more torque than your Bmw 1200, so did the 103, and they has overdrive to take advantage of it. If you are recalling any older Harley’s, forget them. Newer Harley’s look simply to old Harley’s, but the mechanics are completely upgraded.

Um ... Yeah Horsepower IS torque X RPM.

This guy explains it pretty well and if you listen you will see that is the case. And the reason why a BMW 1200cc motor is faster than a 1800cc Harley big twin motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-MH4sf5xkY

Here is an even simpler explanation that basically states .... It has been said that horsepower makes you go fast, but torque is the power that presses you back in your seat as you leave the start line. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/horsepower-vs-torque

Like I have stated before ... each bike does certain things well. But the Harley is not built for speed and handling but is built for comfort and cruising. THAT is what they do well. Just depends on what you are looking for. You can't make a Harley a BMW and you can't make a BMW a Harley. And yes the Harley engines continue to get better and the new Milwaukee Eight is arguably the best yet. I was in Milwaukee and toured the plant where the Milwaukee Eight is built and it is quite impressive. But it is still a big twin motor with low end torque that comes in handy at the low end. Also, the reason why you can cruise all day on a Harley and rarely have to shift ... its the low end torque doing the work.

Back