Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    ...is, paid cash for Gateway sent somebody to pick me up at the airport, and would not let me leave until I had been thoroughly checked out on the new bike. They have earned my everlasting trust.

I, too, was a bit reticent to bring my RT to my local dealer for service, after my less than stellar interaction with the sales manager. The good news is that I stuck my nose in to the dealer this week, and was treated well by the parts and service techs... And the sales manager is no longer with them.

So, my point is that you can ignore the dude who sold you the bike, and work with the service and parts folks. Or ride south to Gateway.
    I think Gateway had the similar bike listed about $4k less and that’s part of what’s driving me crazy.

Someone on the train said “forgive yourself.” That’s what I’m about, now. Thanks for all your thoughts fellows and gals.
    Turn on, tune in and ride off

Quote Originally Posted by 75450 View Post
    I'm impressed with the members on this forum -- very civilized. I salute you!

If the OP had made a similar type post on a H-D forum stating how he disliked his new (to him) H-D and kept comparing the H-D to his old BMW, they would have . . . well let's just say it would have been entertaining. I've had 6 Harleys over the years, big twins and Sportsters, and I still have one, a 2009 XR1200, and I'm a member of several H-D forums. They ain't as nice over there.

BTW, many years ago I had a nice rapport with a gal who rode the same bus. I didn't see her for a while. It turned out she killed her boyfriend.
    Re: the Harley forums...tough love? it is very entertaining! unless you're the butt.

HA- '09 XR1200 here too! Name on the XR owners forum??
    Not a hijack cause the other conversation is finished (lol)
    Anyway- there aren't many XR's out there, great bike.

empathetic for you frustration

When I decided to buy my first new bike it was the 2016 RT fully loaded. I ordered it without a test ride. While I was waiting on the bike I did do a test ride with the Mrs. on the back. It was a little different from my '05 RT... but I quickly got used to it and love it. I hope you find the bike your looking for soon sir. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to not have the bike that suits you.

Ride safe sir.

29572383_437199000038664_1671981696930132311_n.jpg
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Super happy with my 2016 RT!
    2006 DL 650 V-Strom
    2016 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    I'm wondering, what aftermarket windshield alternatives have proved successful? I see Realshelby likes WERKS.

Love my WERKS. Much more comfortable, much quieter.

Different strokes

I’ve owned 5 Harley’s over the last 30 years, I liked them all.
    My last one was an Ultra Classic I had for twelve years.
    I sold it and bought the RT for the reasons you mentioned, 300 lbs lighter, more than double the horsepower, all the latest engineering with shift assist, traction control, ride modes, etc.
    I did take it for a long test ride on one of the twisters by the dealer made for motorcycling, it just completely blew me away.
    I’ve had it now two years and 12,000 miles and it still impresses me every time I ride it.
    Without exaggerating I can take corners twice as fast as on my Ultra with far less effort.
    When I am on the interstate going across Montana or N Dakota I typically run 80-85 just effortlessly.
    Again I liked all my Harley’s but the RT in my opinion is just light years ahead of them.
    However we’re all different, thank God or it would be a boring world.
    Good luck, change it up.

My first BMW was a 1997 R1100RT that I purchased used in 2000 with about 6500 miles on it. The seller was selling it to "move up" to a K1200LT or so he thought. He delivered the bike to me and I drove him to our local dealer where he rode home on his new 2000 K1200LT. He and I became great friends and riding buddies and to this day travel together. About 7 months after he sold me the RT and he bought the new LT he traded that LT for a 2002 (early release) R1150RT! He just never bonded with that LT and felt it was a big heavy monster. BUT he simply bit the bullet, took the hit on trading his LT and rode home on a bike he truly loved! Sometimes you just make a mistake and buy the wrong bike. As you can see from the posts here we all love our BMW's and I LOVE my 2016RT and my newly purchased R1200GS. But they are not for everyone. Maybe you are just a "Harley guy" and that is OK! They are great bikes and those who own them love them. So if you truly hate the RT it may be best to just move on and go back to a bike that puts a smile on your face because THAT is what it is all about!

"Stuff happens"! Good luck to you and I am sure you will have no problem finding a good home for that pretty RT!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

I have ridden a lot of different bike from dirt bikes to sport bikes to cruisers. For me, it was love from the first time I took a test ride on my RT. Now I will say I have had to tweak it a bit to make it just right for me. I added Illium Bar Risers, BMW's low seat and a set of Wunderlich Peg Lowering Kit. As for you, if you feel you got screwed by the dealer I don't blame you for being miffed but that should be no reflection on the bike. Now if you don't like the bike, well cut your losses and put it up for sale and go purchase something that fits you ergonomically and your personal likes. good luck on your journey.

I keep hearing the OP say the dealer did him wrong but $14K for a 2015 RT with less than 15k miles is NOT a bad deal at all! I just did a Cycle Trader search for 2014 and 2015 RT's with less than 15K miles and there are 27 for sale with the highest price being $17,499 and lowest being $11,250 and the average being $13,860. So while the dealer may not want to take it back for what you paid the price you originally paid was very much in line. In addition that was a one year only color that in my opinion makes it even more attractive.

As the last poster stated .... you will be happier if you simply cut your losses and buy a bike that puts a smile on your face.
    Ed Apelian

[QUOTE=gsinnc;... Maybe you are just a "Harley guy" and that is OK! They are great bikes and those who own them love them. So if you truly hate the RT it may be best to just move on and go back to a bike that puts a smile on your face because THAT is what it is all about!

"Stuff happens"! ...[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your thoughtful and understanding response. I definitely am a Harley guy, but not exclusively. I can hang around the Harley Dealership drinking coffee and chatting with the staff and other customers. At a BMW Dealership? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by motor10 View Post
    .... As for you, if you feel you got screwed by the dealer I don't blame you for being miffed but that should be no reflection on the bike. Now if you don't like the bike, well cut your losses and put it up for sale and go purchase something that fits you ergonomically and your personal likes. good luck on your journey.
    As of last night, I'm still losing sleep. I may put it up on consignment at Midwest Action Cycle in Lake Geneva, WI tomorrow. It'll be a bargain for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    I keep hearing the OP say the dealer did him wrong but $14K for a 2015 RT with less than 15k miles is NOT a bad deal at all! I just did a Cycle Trader search for 2014 and 2015 RT's with less than 15K miles and there are 27 for sale with the highest price being $17,499 and lowest being $11,250 and the average being $13,860. So while the dealer may not want to take it back for what you paid the price you originally paid was very much in line. In addition that was a one year only color that in my opinion makes it even more attractive.

As the last poster stated .... you will be happier if you simply cut your losses and buy a bike that puts a smile on your face.
    Thank you for your thoughtful and understanding responses. It is a nice ride. The bike appears to have all the options other than remote key fob, which somewhat justifies the price. I'm a guy who should have bought the base model 2011 for cheap. I'd'a' been happier. I tell you, it is the missing key for the top case that gauls me the most. How dare they mount a $1400 top case and not tell me it doesn't include a key or refuse to provide a seperate key. We've talked since. They won't. I'd consider suing them, but like an idiot I initialed the waiver/arbitration box in the contract. Don't EVER do that for free.
    Turn on, tune in and ride off

I can hang around the Harley Dealership drinking coffee and chatting with the staff and other customers. At a BMW Dealership? No way.
    My experience is just the opposite.

As of last night, I'm still losing sleep.
    You better hope that nothing really bad happens in your life.

I'd consider suing them, . . .
    Well, of course . . .
    2000 K1200RS, 2004 R1100S
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

Thank you for your thoughtful and understanding response. I definitely am a Harley guy, but not exclusively. I can hang around the Harley Dealership drinking coffee and chatting with the staff and other customers. At a BMW Dealership? No way.

As of last night, I'm still losing sleep. I may put it up on consignment at Midwest Action Cycle in Lake Geneva, WI tomorrow. It'll be a bargain for someone.

Thank you for your thoughtful and understanding responses. It is a nice ride. The bike appears to have all the options other than remote key fob, which somewhat justifies the price. I'm a guy who should have bought the base model 2011 for cheap. I'd'a' been happier. I tell you, it is the missing key for the top case that gauls me the most. How dare they mount a $1400 top case and not tell me it doesn't include a key or refuse to provide a seperate key. We've talked since. They won't. I'd consider suing them, but like an idiot I initialed the waiver/arbitration box in the contract. Don't EVER do that for free.
    It really sounds like you have experienced a less than good BMW dealer. My dealer would not have treated you that way. But honestly I think you should cut your losses and just move on. It is not worth the stress and losing sleep over something as unimportant in life as a motorcycle. A year from now you will look back on this and not give it a second thought. Life is way too short my friend!

Good luck! And Sorry I already own a 2016 RT as I really like that color and when I bought my 2016 I specifically DID NOT want keyless ride.

Be well!
    Ed Apelian

Answers and solutions.

For what it's worth, it's simple to reset the tumblers in your top case so it fits the ignition key and your side cases. Just about any BMW sales person worth his (or her) salt should be able to do it for you in 15 minutes. You could do it yourself if you have any mechanical aptitude - just google, or try this thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...a-49L-Top-Case

Any dealer can also order you an additional key. If you don't have the "Keyless Ride" option, you'll need a chipped key which will run you $70-80 precut to your ignition. You'll need to provide your VIN and proof of ownership

You can also find out exactly what factory options were provided on your bike (Build sheet) on the BMW After-Sales Assistance Portal as well as download the rider's manual. Here:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...html&notrack=1

You'll need the last 7 digits of your VIN. If nothing else, this info should help you when it comes time to sell it.

What has happened to you with this transaction is a real shame, and reflects poorly on the brand. My condolences. Let me know if you need help navigating the bmw web portal.

Courtney in Seattle

The top case lock is easy. I am surprised the dealer won't take care of it. The lock kit is something like $35 and easy to fit the tumblers to match your key. I did mine last fall. Youtube has videos explaining the process.

Love my bike

I think motorcycles are like spouse's. Everyone know someone that they look at their spouse and think, I just don't get it. Maybe the BMW just isn't "you". I had a 03 Ultra, loved to look at the bike, hated to ride it. I had always wanted a BMW since the first time I saw a friend of my fathers with a new R90S. When I finally got a chance to buy a BMW and I took one for a test ride I hated it, both a K and an R. So I bought the H-D. After 3 year and 15K miles of hearing, ever time something broke," they do that" from the dealer, I decided to give BMW another shot and haven't looked back. I got a 07 RT and put 80k on it before trading it in for a 16 GSA. The RT would run all day WELL over the speed limit and never get hot, something the H-D could never do. Would go over 300 mile on a tank of gas, 334 to be exact, don't ask how I know, doesn't advertise to every cop for a mile that I'm coming or wake up my neighbors when I ride it to work in the AM. And incredibly forgiving to " poor corner entry speed". The BMW community is awesome and I've learned to be a much better rider through them.
    Love my bike and can't imagine a better dance partner when the roads get twisty and with the GSA or muddy, and it's pretty comfortable getting there too.
    As a side note my wife hast a 05 R1150R and wouldn't dream of getting trading it in.