Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

I bought a new G310GS without a test ride. Stupid. Big mistake. I told the dealer I made a stupid mistake, and he saved me by taking it back. Sold it shortly later to someone who did want the 310. Never buy a bike with which you are not very familiar without a test ride.

Years ago I was not so stupid. I test rode two Harleys and learned quickly they were not for me. Heavy, hot, sliggish, with harsh back-breaking suspensions.

Have been riding BMW RTs ever since -- airheads, oildheads, and now wetheads. Hands down, the best motorcycles I have ever ridden.

My 2015 R1200RT came with one fob. I bought a second fob -- not a problem. Same for my 2017 RT.
    Last edited by bmwdean; 04-03-2019 at 02:02 AM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

There's a big difference between "this thing is crap" and "This thing doesn't work for me". I can buy that it doesn't work for you... In some respects the Road Glide comparo may be legit but a true compare would have to acknowledge the pluses and minuses (differences?) of each. Anyway, the conclusion would have to be that they are totally different bikes useful for similar tasks (touring- albeit some say the RT is "adventure touring- I didn't know that and I am having a ball just plain touring on my 2016 RT)
    The acceleration is so linear that it is deceptively fast, the electronics are in a class of their own and the style is, well, BMW! I tour with my son (he on his HD Ultra) and I feel like we are representing 2 marques that are deservedly legendary. (I do have a Heritage Softail for shorter trips and posing!) Honestly, it pains me when any of the classics I own are denigrated (Harley, BMW, and Triumph) Sure, compare euro touring, or big twin cruising or British iron, but beyond that, the type of "comparison" that offends (too strong a word but...) me is the apples to oranges. A wiser man than I once said "comparison is odious". Apparently this bike doesn't work for the OP.

Oh and I guess I dodged a bullet when I bought it- never test rode! I figured if my 6 year old GS650 was THAT good for its purpose this RT would do ITS job at least as well- and it did/does

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    With keyless you need to have the fob within a couple feet of the bike.
    Starting procedure is the same as other bikes, you just don't have to insert a key into a ignition slot.
    Even if the bike is in neutral you can't start the bike from inside the house if the bike is in the garage or out on the driveway.

I don't know if keyless was a option on the 2015 RT.
    My 2016 RS has it.
    The answer is yes, my 2015 RT has keyless.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    But I lost at least two nights sleep so far and I've got more headaches ahead. And I'm not happy with the dealer. Bah!
    Sell it on craigslist or CycleTrader. Asking a dealer to buy back a bike you just purchased from them is not the best route to take because you're only going to be offered trade-in value -- not the high dealer retail price that you just paid. That's probably true for any dealership of any manufacturer. And, of course, there are exceptions.

BTW, loss of 2+ nights of sleep is more than just "buyer's remorse."
    2000 K1200RS, 2004 R1100S
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

I can not imagine spending thousands of dollars on a motorcycle and not test riding it. The OP screwed up!

The RT is a great motorcycle, it just is not for everyone. I also ride a Yamaha R1. It is a great bike too, if you ride it as it was intended.

The OP got rid of a fat, heavy HD and buys a sport touring machine. Like going from a Chevy Impala to a Camaro, and not liking the Camaro because it is not as comfortable.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Yesterday, the dealer called me and offered to sell the R1200RT on consignment. He expected that I would realize $12.5K / $12.8K. He thought wholesale would be $11.5k. I first have to pay the sales tax and get the title in my name. So: [$14,900 + $150 (doc fee) + $20 (Ride away tag) + $231 (Sales Tax) + $75 (state title fee) = $15,376. $15,376 - $12,500 = $2,876.

And he doesn't want me to ride it in the meantime. He says then he has to re-prep the bike.

Oh well. You live and you learn. I should have learned a long time ago.

Further thoughts / observations appreciated.

BMW R1200RT 1.jpg

BMW R1200rt 2.jpg
    Last edited by jamo; 04-03-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Add Photo

Rally Rat

Smile

Hey - we all make mistakes. I even test-rode a Victory Cross Country Tour - bought it.

Decided I should have test-rode it several times and for longer durations. Unloaded it within two weeks. Cost me money? Sure, but I figured I could make more tomorrow.

I suggest you simply go with a different dealer. Trade the RT (it's not a perfect machine - had one for 7 years - I know) for a bike you really like. Eat the $$$ difference as a learning experience. Riding season here is WI is almost upon us.

No more lost sleep. Get a bike you really want, learn from an 'Oops' that more people on this forum have experienced than will admit, and see you out on two wheels, smiling, soon.

Nice Bike

...= $2,876....

Further thoughts / observations appreciated.
    Nice Bike. Too bad you don't like it. My suggestion is to take it to a BMW dealer, and test ride some other bikes. Like a nice new 2019 GS. And trade it in. And remember to ask for your MOA discount.

cap

Thank you Greenwald, Cap. Good comments.

By the way, two questions. What is Gear Shift Assist and is it in a package that comes on a "loaded" bike?

Also, what top case is that, if anyone can tell? How much did it list for new? How does one remove it?
    It doesn't have a handle near the key. It does have struts that keep it open.

Also, what top case is that, if anyone can tell? How much did it list for new? How does one remove it?
    That is the new top case introduced with the 2014 model year.

You can still order the pre-2014 top cases (photo oelow), which cost about half the cost of the new ones. They work fine on the new wetheads and adorn my 2015 and 2017 RTs.

You open it by lifting a lever on back of the case and then lift the top case off the bike. Easy peasy.

Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Gear shift assist basically allows clutchless up and downshifts. It works by momentarily cutting power when it senses up or downshift pressure on the foot lever. You still need to slip the clutch to start and stop though. "Loaded" is too vague a term. You can ask your dealer to print you out a build sheet or there are a couple of online VIN checker that will work though I find them kind of spotty.

That case is the BMW 49 liter top box and it retails for an obscene amount of money (like north of $1,000 new). In your place I would remove it and sell it separately. It will just pop off. Check your owners manual. If you didn't get one, you can download a pdf version for free from BMW.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    Gear shift assist basically allows clutchless up and downshifts. It works by momentarily cutting power when it senses up or downshift pressure on the foot lever. You still need to slip the clutch to start and stop though. "Loaded" is too vague a term. You can ask your dealer to print you out a build sheet or there are a couple of online VIN checker that will work though I find them kind of spotty.
    My mostly-loaded 2015 RT, was missing Gear Shift Assist. My selling dealer added it later for about $500 I recall. I think it was worth the $$ but it's certainly not essential.

Also, you could check out a European supplier for the Top Box: https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com...cessories.html
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Love my RT

5270F24B-808C-47B1-AABB-1471A18A84ED.jpg

I love my 2016 R1200RT!!

Ride before you buy....as always YMMV

.................................................. ....................How does one remove it?

To remove the top case, open the lid and lift up the carpet pad and rotate the knob to release it and lift the rear portion up, back, and out.
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I've lusted after an RT for years, purely on the basis of looks. This despite the fact that my 300 yard long driveway is dirt which doesn't firm up till May, then reverts to mud after every light rain...and the fact that we have only one paved road in town. But ignoring all that I took one for a test ride anyway. Loved the power and the nimbleness, but the ergonomics were just off for me. Up to that point I was considering a fly and ride, but that trip to the dealer convinced me to never buy before taking a bike out for a test ride.

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/