• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning: Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

One more thing on the highway pegs...

Most RT riders ride down on the regular pegs, rather than immediately going to the feet up position. I had highway pegs on a previous RT, I rarely used them, only on really long rides, where my knees would cramp. I rather like the 1" lower regular pegs a bit better.

The best analogy to riding position comes from horses.

Think English riding vs. Western riding. 2 different styles, both have advantages, both have disadvantages. English, you as the rider are more agile. Western, you are more laid back. The bikes are the same.

One more thing on the highway pegs...

Most RT riders ride down on the regular pegs, rather than immediately going to the feet up position. I had highway pegs on a previous RT, I rarely used them, only on really long rides, where my knees would cramp.

Ultimately if the OP really wants both Sport and Touring full on capability you can't beat the wethead RT--it's equally capable on any kind of pavement. I get the sense w/ the focus on highway pegs and other comments the OP really isn't looking for an ST, or is ST-curious at best. I'm 6'4" tall and took my new '16 out on a 10K mile trip within a few months of taking delivery including lots of rides thru regional twisties including TotD and the fact you can go from attacking curves to cruising in comfort on an interstate thru high winds the Plains is really hard to beat. It's a fantastic single-bike solution and I sense if it really isn't working for the OP no other ST will and it's back to touring or cruising bikes.

Ultimately if the OP really wants both Sport and Touring full on capability you can't beat the wethead RT--it's equally capable on any kind of pavement. I get the sense w/ the focus on highway pegs and other comments the OP really isn't looking for an ST, or is ST-curious at best. I'm 6'4" tall and took my new '16 out on a 10K mile trip within a few months of taking delivery including lots of rides thru regional twisties including TotD and the fact you can go from attacking curves to cruising in comfort on an interstate thru high winds the Plains is really hard to beat. It's a fantastic single-bike solution and I sense if it really isn't working for the OP no other ST will and it's back to touring or cruising bikes.

I appreciate the observation and suggestions. There's nothing wrong with the RT as a sport or tourer. Like I say, I've had several R bikes. I really don't categorize or select bikes between STs, Tourers, Cruisers, etc. (To me, Harleys handle great, are very sporting to ride and have tons of power.)

THe issue with me got down to the cost and the loss (of the trade-in). It's really the deal I made that I regret.

Now, what about the peg lowering?

Look here for the foot peg lowering kit.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.html

Someone just gave me an 04 R1150RT that has the DL3 kit. It is stated that it will fit the R1200RT but you may need a second set of hands to install because of the stiffer spring on the R1200RT wetheads. If you would be interested in a used set let me know.

Someone just gave me an 04 R1150RT that has the DL3 kit. It is stated that it will fit the R1200RT but you may need a second set of hands to install because of the stiffer spring on the R1200RT wetheads.

I pulled the Suburban Machinery DL3 kit from my 2004 RT, and put them on my 2017 RT. I was anxious about the process after reading the warning you mention above. But it was a non-event. 10-minute job, no helper.

Cap

There's nothing wrong with the RT as a sport or tourer. Like I say, I've had several R bikes.

Yes I read you had several R bikes which is not the same as a wethead RT. I wholeheartedly agree--there is nothing wrong w/ RTW in either S or T roles--it is the quintessential balanced ST, equally competent in both roles, and as such nothing touches it IMO. Power:Weight is amply sufficient, curb weight is lightest in class by a considerable margin, fuel economy is decent, ergonomics are perfectly balanced between S & T roles, tech is useful and practical in particular TPC, heated seat/grips, fabulous wind and weather management, and when it's time to take on the canyons the HD cruisers will be trailing--provided the rider skill & risk tolerance is the same of course. But I sense once again that is just not what you're after. You know yourself best, but that's what's coming thru to me when I read your post.

I wouldn't fret another second on the deal--if you want a world class ST, you've got a fabulous piece of kit and you can make peace and enjoy the hell out of it. It does sound to me like you're not so much looking for a world class ST, whether or not you see bikes in one class or another. This comment from your OP, "It's half the bike the Road Glide Ultra was." leads me to think you're just a poor fit for this particular machine, or should I say it's not a good fit for you.

I'll be keeping my '16 until it's either too heavy for me or hits 200K miles! Fabulous, fabulous bike and at 37,167m I continue to marvel at how blessed I am to have found it.

Last edited:
What kept me awake last night was worrying about further interactions with the dealer. I have come to cringe at going back in there for service and I believe in using a bmw shop for service. There isn’t any competition around here for this bmw shop. Funny because the mechanic takes the same commuter train with me and I have a good repore with him.

Service should be based on flat rate prices. They should be able to give you an exact price up front for any service/maintenance you inquire about. BMW dealer service centers are held to a higher standard than many other brands. But probably still short of the Harley Davidson service reputation. So, if used to Harley shops, I doubt very much you will cringe at any service pricing.

... You mention the windshield...as good as that is there are aftermarket alternatives that improve on it significantly! ....

I'm wondering, what aftermarket windshield alternatives have proved successful? I see Realshelby likes WERKS.

I'm wondering, what aftermarket windshield alternatives have proved successful? I see Realshelby likes WERKS.

Just remember, you do not look through the windshield on an RT, you look over it. I had to get a lower shield when I bought my 2005 used. The previous owner was 6'5", I am 5'10.

On the Suburban pegs, easy install. 10 minute job. The hard part is adjusting the shifter. I have not done my 2015 yet. Soon...

Let me Rephrase the Subject

Not to avoid further discussion of the windshield, but more to the original point, what would you expect to willingly pay (a reasonable BMW dealer) for:

2015 R1200RT w/14 K miles,
standard and premium package
I believe all options except the remote key fob
new tires
full 12,000 mile service performed and new oil change
includes 48 Liter top case and Ilium guards and pegs?

No warranty, one key.

What kept me awake last night was worrying about further interactions with the dealer. I have come to cringe at going back in there for service and I believe in using a bmw shop for service. There isn’t any competition around here for this bmw shop. Funny because the mechanic takes the same commuter train with me and I have a good repore with him.

If you have a good repore with the mechanic, what's to worry about interacting with the dealer?

I think you need to CTFD, go ride the bike, learn the bikes power band [ which is different than you are used to with Harley's and has been stated here already ]. Go learn the bike, that takes riding it.

Coming from wings and jap bikes, it took me a month to learn to shift the r1200gs properly, learn where/what revs the power is available [ already mentioned here also ] on THAT bike, learn it's balance and enjoy the snot out of that bike. You bought a nice bike, it's just different than you're useed to.

My 1200GS shifts like a Mac truck compared to other bikes, including my 1200GT beemer which shifts like the race bike it is. Each bike is different, you only need to learn how to ride the bike you have.

You think you got taken, you're not happy and no one here is going to change your mind. If it's causing you this much stress, bite the loss and go buy/trade it in on another Harley. Just an FYI, you couldn't give me a Harley, after riding the Beemers and wings, they are dogs that make a lot of noise comparatively.

Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

I'm impressed with the members on this forum -- very civilized. I salute you! :thumb

If the OP had made a similar type post on a H-D forum stating how he disliked his new (to him) H-D and kept comparing the H-D to his old BMW, they would have . . . well let's just say it would have been entertaining. I've had 6 Harleys over the years, big twins and Sportsters, and I still have one, a 2009 XR1200, and I'm a member of several H-D forums. They ain't as nice over there. :)

BTW, many years ago I had a nice rapport with a gal who rode the same bus. I didn't see her for a while. It turned out she killed her boyfriend.:heh

Last edited:
What kept me awake last night was worrying about further interactions with the dealer.

I know that feeling. Some dealers are... suboptimal. Others are awesome. My local dealer has changed ownership about 3 times in the last 10 years. And they seem to have a new sales manager every year. I went to buy a new 2018 RT off their floor late last summer, and asked them to quote me a price. The new models had been announced, and I expected that they would be interested in moving their old inventory. Not so, apparently. I made 3 visits to the showroom, each time asking the sales manager to make me a deal. Not only did I not get a reasonable deal offered, but the guy never even quoted me a price. In contrast, I made one call to Gateway in St. Louis, and was quoted a great price over the phone. So, I flew to St. Louis, paid cash for the bike, and rode home to Colorado. Gateway sent somebody to pick me up at the airport, and would not let me leave until I had been thoroughly checked out on the new bike. They have earned my everlasting trust.

I, too, was a bit reticent to bring my RT to my local dealer for service, after my less than stellar interaction with the sales manager. The good news is that I stuck my nose in to the dealer this week, and was treated well by the parts and service techs... And the sales manager is no longer with them. :)

So, my point is that you can ignore the dude who sold you the bike, and work with the service and parts folks. Or ride south to Gateway.

...is, paid cash for Gateway sent somebody to pick me up at the airport, and would not let me leave until I had been thoroughly checked out on the new bike. They have earned my everlasting trust.

I, too, was a bit reticent to bring my RT to my local dealer for service, after my less than stellar interaction with the sales manager. The good news is that I stuck my nose in to the dealer this week, and was treated well by the parts and service techs... And the sales manager is no longer with them. :)

So, my point is that you can ignore the dude who sold you the bike, and work with the service and parts folks. Or ride south to Gateway.

I think Gateway had the similar bike listed about $4k less and that’s part of what’s driving me crazy.

Someone on the train said “forgive yourself.” That’s what I’m about, now. Thanks for all your thoughts fellows and gals.

I'm impressed with the members on this forum -- very civilized. I salute you! :thumb

If the OP had made a similar type post on a H-D forum stating how he disliked his new (to him) H-D and kept comparing the H-D to his old BMW, they would have . . . well let's just say it would have been entertaining. I've had 6 Harleys over the years, big twins and Sportsters, and I still have one, a 2009 XR1200, and I'm a member of several H-D forums. They ain't as nice over there. :)

BTW, many years ago I had a nice rapport with a gal who rode the same bus. I didn't see her for a while. It turned out she killed her boyfriend.:heh

Re: the Harley forums...tough love? it is very entertaining! unless you're the butt.

HA- '09 XR1200 here too! Name on the XR owners forum??
Not a hijack cause the other conversation is finished (lol)
Anyway- there aren't many XR's out there, great bike.

empathetic for you frustration

When I decided to buy my first new bike it was the 2016 RT fully loaded. I ordered it without a test ride. While I was waiting on the bike I did do a test ride with the Mrs. on the back. It was a little different from my '05 RT... but I quickly got used to it and love it. I hope you find the bike your looking for soon sir. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to not have the bike that suits you.

Ride safe sir.

29572383_437199000038664_1671981696930132311_n.jpg

Back