• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning: Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Yesterday, the dealer called me and offered to sell the R1200RT on consignment. He expected that I would realize $12.5K / $12.8K. He thought wholesale would be $11.5k. I first have to pay the sales tax and get the title in my name. So: [$14,900 + $150 (doc fee) + $20 (Ride away tag) + $231 (Sales Tax) + $75 (state title fee) = $15,376. $15,376 - $12,500 = $2,876.

And he doesn't want me to ride it in the meantime. He says then he has to re-prep the bike.

Oh well. You live and you learn. I should have learned a long time ago.

Further thoughts / observations appreciated.

BMW R1200RT 1.jpg

BMW R1200rt 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey - we all make mistakes. I even test-rode a Victory Cross Country Tour - bought it.

Decided I should have test-rode it several times and for longer durations. Unloaded it within two weeks. Cost me money? Sure, but I figured I could make more tomorrow.

I suggest you simply go with a different dealer. Trade the RT (it's not a perfect machine - had one for 7 years - I know) for a bike you really like. Eat the $$$ difference as a learning experience. Riding season here is WI is almost upon us.

No more lost sleep. Get a bike you really want, learn from an 'Oops' that more people on this forum have experienced than will admit, and see you out on two wheels, smiling, soon. :thumb

Nice Bike

...= $2,876....

Nice Bike. Too bad you don't like it. My suggestion is to take it to a BMW dealer, and test ride some other bikes. Like a nice new 2019 GS. And trade it in. And remember to ask for your MOA discount.

:dance

cap

Thank you Greenwald, Cap. Good comments.

By the way, two questions. What is Gear Shift Assist and is it in a package that comes on a "loaded" bike?

Also, what top case is that, if anyone can tell? How much did it list for new? How does one remove it?
It doesn't have a handle near the key. It does have struts that keep it open.

Also, what top case is that, if anyone can tell? How much did it list for new? How does one remove it?

That is the new top case introduced with the 2014 model year.

You can still order the pre-2014 top cases (photo oelow), which cost about half the cost of the new ones. They work fine on the new wetheads and adorn my 2015 and 2017 RTs.

You open it by lifting a lever on back of the case and then lift the top case off the bike. Easy peasy.

2017-red.jpg

Gear shift assist basically allows clutchless up and downshifts. It works by momentarily cutting power when it senses up or downshift pressure on the foot lever. You still need to slip the clutch to start and stop though. "Loaded" is too vague a term. You can ask your dealer to print you out a build sheet or there are a couple of online VIN checker that will work though I find them kind of spotty.

That case is the BMW 49 liter top box and it retails for an obscene amount of money (like north of $1,000 new). In your place I would remove it and sell it separately. It will just pop off. Check your owners manual. If you didn't get one, you can download a pdf version for free from BMW.

Gear shift assist basically allows clutchless up and downshifts. It works by momentarily cutting power when it senses up or downshift pressure on the foot lever. You still need to slip the clutch to start and stop though. "Loaded" is too vague a term. You can ask your dealer to print you out a build sheet or there are a couple of online VIN checker that will work though I find them kind of spotty.

My mostly-loaded 2015 RT, was missing Gear Shift Assist. My selling dealer added it later for about $500 I recall. I think it was worth the $$ but it's certainly not essential.

Also, you could check out a European supplier for the Top Box: https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-motorcycle-accessories.html

......................................................................How does one remove it?

To remove the top case, open the lid and lift up the carpet pad and rotate the knob to release it and lift the rear portion up, back, and out.

I've lusted after an RT for years, purely on the basis of looks. This despite the fact that my 300 yard long driveway is dirt which doesn't firm up till May, then reverts to mud after every light rain...and the fact that we have only one paved road in town. But ignoring all that I took one for a test ride anyway. Loved the power and the nimbleness, but the ergonomics were just off for me. Up to that point I was considering a fly and ride, but that trip to the dealer convinced me to never buy before taking a bike out for a test ride.

Pete

You know, it’s funny. I had a 2001 r1100r and a later r1150rs I liked them both fine, except maybe the seat on the r1100 and a slight want of power on the 1150. Nothin I’d really have mentioned. Then you start with Harleys and you get used to them.
I wouldn’t mind riding this for a day but then I’ve used it and I’m afraid of the dealer then complaining about having to rep it again.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Yesterday, the dealer called me and offered to sell the R1200RT on consignment. He expected that I would realize $12.5K / $12.8K. He thought wholesale would be $11.5k. I first have to pay the sales tax and get the title in my name. So: [$14,900 + $150 (doc fee) + $20 (Ride away tag) + $231 (Sales Tax) + $75 (state title fee) = $15,376. $15,376 - $12,500 = $2,876.

And he doesn't want me to ride it in the meantime. He says then he has to re-prep the bike.

Oh well. You live and you learn. I should have learned a long time ago.

View attachment 73448

View attachment 73449

Dang ... too bad I already have a 2016 as I love that "one year only" color !!!

You can get more than that selfing it on your own

Years ago I bought a bike. I did not, and did not need to test ride the bike. It was a K1100LT and test riding it in Kansas in April was not necessary.

But later, in July or August I rode it to a BBQ at Ron Ayers' house in Plano, Texas - on the 41st day of triple digit temperatures in the Dallas area. The weather map showed red as far south as Tulsa and purple from Oklahoma City south on to well south of Dallas.

After the BBQ I hit my hotel for 4 hours and boogied north at 4:00 am to beat the heat.

I tried two sets of Baker Air Wings, and then traded the K1100 on an R1150R. That LT fairing is perfect in the winter but not my cup of tea in the summer.

Between purchase and trade-in I lost a little bit, but it was better than owning a bike I didn't want to ride.

Doesn't sound to me like you have actually ridden the bike? How do you know you cannot "tour 250 miles"? Sounds like you are more worried about owning a bike with every option over learning about using the options it does have. No chrome here.....

I don't care who you are, you cannot be used to a Road Glide and get on an RT and ride away thinking "this is the best thing ever"! They are Black vs White. Yes, an RT does feel cramped at first. I ride a Super Tenere and V STroms some. Both have a LOT more room. But I still take the RT on trips of thousands of miles every time over those bikes.

I know I am being a bit harsh, but how can you "review" a bike that you really have no miles on?

I just got a new to me 2015 RT to replace a 2005 RT. I LOVE the RT dynamic. I had highway pegs on the old RT, hated them. I do not need my feet stretched out in front of me. Too much bowed back and weight on my back and spine. On the RT, I sit upright. I will put a peg lowering kit on it though, the new RT is a bit more cramped. Some people like a back rest, I like an aftermarket seat.

I LOVE shift assist, up and down, bang bang, bang... No clutch. Cruise control, I use the helmet mounted speakers, so I ride quiet...

I rode the last one on several 2000+ mile trips, all weather.

The RT is no where near a big Harley, in the way it rides. It is more active. It is light, handles like a sport bike, you can carve corners edge to edge, and eat miles in a straight line.

If you want a passive ride, this is not it.

My favorite thing about owning an RT...

I never wash it. Just clean the windshield... OK, Not never... Rarely.

Doesn't sound to me like you have actually ridden the bike? How do you know you cannot "tour 250 miles"? Sounds like you are more worried about owning a bike with every option over learning about using the options it does have. No chrome here.....

I don't care who you are, you cannot be used to a Road Glide and get on an RT and ride away thinking "this is the best thing ever"! They are Black vs White. Yes, an RT does feel cramped at first. I ride a Super Tenere and V STroms some. Both have a LOT more room. But I still take the RT on trips of thousands of miles every time over those bikes.

I know I am being a bit harsh, but how can you "review" a bike that you really have no miles on?

I just got a new to me 2015 RT to replace a 2005 RT. I LOVE the RT dynamic. I had highway pegs on the old RT, hated them. I do not need my feet stretched out in front of me. Too much bowed back and weight on my back and spine. On the RT, I sit upright. I will put a peg lowering kit on it though, the new RT is a bit more cramped. Some people like a back rest, I like an aftermarket seat.

I LOVE shift assist, up and down, bang bang, bang... No clutch. Cruise control, I use the helmet mounted speakers, so I ride quiet...

I rode the last one on several 2000+ mile trips, all weather.

The RT is no where near a big Harley, in the way it rides. It is more active. It is light, handles like a sport bike, you can carve corners edge to edge, and eat miles in a straight line.

If you want a passive ride, this is not it.

My favorite thing about owning an RT...

I never wash it. Just clean the windshield... OK, Not never... Rarely.

You guys are fantastic!

I think it is BMW Motorcycle people that attract me to the marque more than the motorcycles themselves. I was afraid after I had posted this that I would be darned as a "troll" or disliked or otherwise disparaged after relating my predicament.

No one, not one post, condemned me or dismissed me or ill considered me. No one told me to quiet down and go back to Harley world. All of you gave me thoughtful, constructive posts addressing my concerns and issues.

I really appreciate that.

I have ridden the bike, but not far. Just home from the dealer. You are correct that it is too soon of me to be entirely sure how I feel about the bike itself. Truth be told, the purchase was the most trying aspect of all this. If I can finally pry the title from the seller's hands tomorrow, I might make some more observations.

I have ridden the bike, but not far. Just home from the dealer. You are correct that it is too soon of me to be entirely sure how I feel about the bike itself. Truth be told, the purchase was the most trying aspect of all this. If I can finally pry the title from the seller's hands tomorrow, I might make some more observations.

If I were in a similar situation, I think that I would take a day off (or a weekend day) that is forecast for nice weather, point the bike in a direction, and ride with no particular destination in mind. I'd stop for lunch when I got hungry and look at a map for the next direction to head. When I arrive home (many hours and a full tank of fuel later), I'd decide what I wanted to do.

IMO it takes at least a hour or two to get used to a new bike when you're going to one style to another. I test rode a friends K1300S because I was considering buying it. We (he was on his R1200GS) rode through some local streets, through canyons to the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu (about 45 mins) ate some lunch and back to his house via some highway, canyons, etc... all in all, about 2 hours of riding time. It turned out that the K1300S was not what I was looking for as a 2nd bike, but I was sure of that and knew exactly why after that ride (If I were in a position to have 3 bikes, it would be one of them) because I got used to the riding position, controls, etc... The RT felt like a Winnebego to me when I first got back on it and started riding home.

Ride the RT for a day.

You guys are fantastic!

I think it is BMW Motorcycle people that attract me to the marque more than the motorcycles themselves. I was afraid after I had posted this that I would be darned as a "troll" or disliked or otherwise disparaged after relating my predicament.

No one, not one post, condemned me or dismissed me or ill considered me. No one told me to quiet down and go back to Harley world. All of you gave me thoughtful, constructive posts addressing my concerns and issues.

I really appreciate that.

My free advice is to give it some time and miles before you make a decision. Find the best nearby twisty road and ride it. Ride it on a rainy day. Ride it on a windy day.

My .02 worth:

What style of riding do you prefer? I've owned a couple of Harleys in the past and for laid back cruising and enjoying the scenery, they are pretty hard to beat. However, if you like going into the curves hot, laying the bike over, feeling the front tire bite into the asphalt and the suspension helping everything work like magic, well, the Harley probably isn't the right tool for the job.

My Harleys both had the front edge of the floorboards ground down to nothing after about 10K miles, which convinced me they were the wrong tool for the kind of riding I most enjoyed. I bought a BMW and never looked back as they do support the type of riding I enjoy.

If you have the luxury of several bikes in the stable, you can pick the bike for the kind of riding you want to do that day. If not, you pick a bike which supports the bulk of the kind of riding you enjoy. For me, the R1200RT perfectly fits the bill.

Again, what kind of riding do you prefer?

Back