Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

You know, itís funny. I had a 2001 r1100r and a later r1150rs I liked them both fine, except maybe the seat on the r1100 and a slight want of power on the 1150. Nothin Iíd really have mentioned. Then you start with Harleys and you get used to them.
    I wouldnít mind riding this for a day but then Iíve used it and Iím afraid of the dealer then complaining about having to rep it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    Thank you all for your thoughts.

Yesterday, the dealer called me and offered to sell the R1200RT on consignment. He expected that I would realize $12.5K / $12.8K. He thought wholesale would be $11.5k. I first have to pay the sales tax and get the title in my name. So: [$14,900 + $150 (doc fee) + $20 (Ride away tag) + $231 (Sales Tax) + $75 (state title fee) = $15,376. $15,376 - $12,500 = $2,876.

And he doesn't want me to ride it in the meantime. He says then he has to re-prep the bike.

Oh well. You live and you learn. I should have learned a long time ago.

Further thoughts / observations appreciated.

Attachment 73448

Attachment 73449
    Dang ... too bad I already have a 2016 as I love that "one year only" color !!!

You can get more than that selfing it on your own
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Years ago I bought a bike. I did not, and did not need to test ride the bike. It was a K1100LT and test riding it in Kansas in April was not necessary.

But later, in July or August I rode it to a BBQ at Ron Ayers' house in Plano, Texas - on the 41st day of triple digit temperatures in the Dallas area. The weather map showed red as far south as Tulsa and purple from Oklahoma City south on to well south of Dallas.

After the BBQ I hit my hotel for 4 hours and boogied north at 4:00 am to beat the heat.

I tried two sets of Baker Air Wings, and then traded the K1100 on an R1150R. That LT fairing is perfect in the winter but not my cup of tea in the summer.

Between purchase and trade-in I lost a little bit, but it was better than owning a bike I didn't want to ride.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    Doesn't sound to me like you have actually ridden the bike? How do you know you cannot "tour 250 miles"? Sounds like you are more worried about owning a bike with every option over learning about using the options it does have. No chrome here.....

I don't care who you are, you cannot be used to a Road Glide and get on an RT and ride away thinking "this is the best thing ever"! They are Black vs White. Yes, an RT does feel cramped at first. I ride a Super Tenere and V STroms some. Both have a LOT more room. But I still take the RT on trips of thousands of miles every time over those bikes.

I know I am being a bit harsh, but how can you "review" a bike that you really have no miles on?

I just got a new to me 2015 RT to replace a 2005 RT. I LOVE the RT dynamic. I had highway pegs on the old RT, hated them. I do not need my feet stretched out in front of me. Too much bowed back and weight on my back and spine. On the RT, I sit upright. I will put a peg lowering kit on it though, the new RT is a bit more cramped. Some people like a back rest, I like an aftermarket seat.

I LOVE shift assist, up and down, bang bang, bang... No clutch. Cruise control, I use the helmet mounted speakers, so I ride quiet...

I rode the last one on several 2000+ mile trips, all weather.

The RT is no where near a big Harley, in the way it rides. It is more active. It is light, handles like a sport bike, you can carve corners edge to edge, and eat miles in a straight line.

If you want a passive ride, this is not it.

My favorite thing about owning an RT...

I never wash it. Just clean the windshield... OK, Not never... Rarely.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by jstrube View Post
    Doesn't sound to me like you have actually ridden the bike? How do you know you cannot "tour 250 miles"? Sounds like you are more worried about owning a bike with every option over learning about using the options it does have. No chrome here.....

I don't care who you are, you cannot be used to a Road Glide and get on an RT and ride away thinking "this is the best thing ever"! They are Black vs White. Yes, an RT does feel cramped at first. I ride a Super Tenere and V STroms some. Both have a LOT more room. But I still take the RT on trips of thousands of miles every time over those bikes.

I know I am being a bit harsh, but how can you "review" a bike that you really have no miles on?

I just got a new to me 2015 RT to replace a 2005 RT. I LOVE the RT dynamic. I had highway pegs on the old RT, hated them. I do not need my feet stretched out in front of me. Too much bowed back and weight on my back and spine. On the RT, I sit upright. I will put a peg lowering kit on it though, the new RT is a bit more cramped. Some people like a back rest, I like an aftermarket seat.

I LOVE shift assist, up and down, bang bang, bang... No clutch. Cruise control, I use the helmet mounted speakers, so I ride quiet...

I rode the last one on several 2000+ mile trips, all weather.

The RT is no where near a big Harley, in the way it rides. It is more active. It is light, handles like a sport bike, you can carve corners edge to edge, and eat miles in a straight line.

If you want a passive ride, this is not it.

My favorite thing about owning an RT...

I never wash it. Just clean the windshield... OK, Not never... Rarely.

You guys are fantastic!

I think it is BMW Motorcycle people that attract me to the marque more than the motorcycles themselves. I was afraid after I had posted this that I would be darned as a "troll" or disliked or otherwise disparaged after relating my predicament.

No one, not one post, condemned me or dismissed me or ill considered me. No one told me to quiet down and go back to Harley world. All of you gave me thoughtful, constructive posts addressing my concerns and issues.

I really appreciate that.

I have ridden the bike, but not far. Just home from the dealer. You are correct that it is too soon of me to be entirely sure how I feel about the bike itself. Truth be told, the purchase was the most trying aspect of all this. If I can finally pry the title from the seller's hands tomorrow, I might make some more observations.

Good luck. ...and many (most? all?) of us will still wave no matter what you're riding!

I have ridden the bike, but not far. Just home from the dealer. You are correct that it is too soon of me to be entirely sure how I feel about the bike itself. Truth be told, the purchase was the most trying aspect of all this. If I can finally pry the title from the seller's hands tomorrow, I might make some more observations.
    If I were in a similar situation, I think that I would take a day off (or a weekend day) that is forecast for nice weather, point the bike in a direction, and ride with no particular destination in mind. I'd stop for lunch when I got hungry and look at a map for the next direction to head. When I arrive home (many hours and a full tank of fuel later), I'd decide what I wanted to do.

IMO it takes at least a hour or two to get used to a new bike when you're going to one style to another. I test rode a friends K1300S because I was considering buying it. We (he was on his R1200GS) rode through some local streets, through canyons to the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu (about 45 mins) ate some lunch and back to his house via some highway, canyons, etc... all in all, about 2 hours of riding time. It turned out that the K1300S was not what I was looking for as a 2nd bike, but I was sure of that and knew exactly why after that ride (If I were in a position to have 3 bikes, it would be one of them) because I got used to the riding position, controls, etc... The RT felt like a Winnebego to me when I first got back on it and started riding home.

Ride the RT for a day.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

You guys are fantastic!

I think it is BMW Motorcycle people that attract me to the marque more than the motorcycles themselves. I was afraid after I had posted this that I would be darned as a "troll" or disliked or otherwise disparaged after relating my predicament.

No one, not one post, condemned me or dismissed me or ill considered me. No one told me to quiet down and go back to Harley world. All of you gave me thoughtful, constructive posts addressing my concerns and issues.

I really appreciate that.

My free advice is to give it some time and miles before you make a decision. Find the best nearby twisty road and ride it. Ride it on a rainy day. Ride it on a windy day.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

My .02 worth:

What style of riding do you prefer? I've owned a couple of Harleys in the past and for laid back cruising and enjoying the scenery, they are pretty hard to beat. However, if you like going into the curves hot, laying the bike over, feeling the front tire bite into the asphalt and the suspension helping everything work like magic, well, the Harley probably isn't the right tool for the job.

My Harleys both had the front edge of the floorboards ground down to nothing after about 10K miles, which convinced me they were the wrong tool for the kind of riding I most enjoyed. I bought a BMW and never looked back as they do support the type of riding I enjoy.

If you have the luxury of several bikes in the stable, you can pick the bike for the kind of riding you want to do that day. If not, you pick a bike which supports the bulk of the kind of riding you enjoy. For me, the R1200RT perfectly fits the bill.

Again, what kind of riding do you prefer?
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Interesting dilemma to have. A couple years ago I traded my '05 Electra Glide for a '16 RT after a short test drive. The dealer told me to come back and take out an RT for as long as I wanted, just have it back before closing time, but it wasn't necessary. I'd spent the previous 30 years on nothing but Harleys. Put 100K plus miles on my FXR, 45K on my E-Glide, many more on my wife's Sportster. The RT is decidedly a different ride, and I spent some time and A LOT of money making it fit me better, also I'll admit that there are times when I miss my Harley, especially the FXR, but the more miles I put on the RT, the more I love it. Maybe you just need to pack it up and go somewhere? After you get a better-than-stock seat, better than stock windshield, some "Sport" floorboards etc.

Ultimately, to each his own. You need to be the one who's happy with it. My son loved his Honda RC251 (?), same bike that won at Daytona two years running. I loved its motor, but would just about as soon take a beating from an MMA fighter than ride that thing. Hope you find what makes you happy.

RK Ryder
    I don't own your model. However, since you are cramped, is your seat at it's highest position? As well, a peg lowering kit, although only drops the pegs a couple of inches, can make a major difference to your leg comfort.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Has the seat been adjusted to the higher position? How about switching to the BMW "tall" seat?

I got a 2015 R1200GS and switched from my '03 R1150RT partly because I had read that BMW made the newer RT's fit shorter riders better. With my 36" inseam, I don't want a bike that fits shorter people. I did get the "tall" seat for my GS, and then a Sargent which I had custom made with an inch more padding...

As others have mentioned, you can also lower the pegs, the regular foot pegs.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

jamo:

Sorry this bike didn't work out for you. The rider / bike experience is so subjective. I just passed on a new R1200RS, over 3 minor things that I noticed during a demo ride.
    Last edited by Rinty; 04-06-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    Rinty

I test rode my 2015 six months after I had bought a 2014 Goldwing. 30 minutes in to that test ride, I knew I would be selling the Wing. Which I did at an $1,800 loss. And I haven't regretted it once.

It is hands down the best bike I have ever owned and after about three years of ownership, paying it off, learning to do my own maintenance, and doing a few IBA rides, I still love it every time I ride away on it.

The difference in the RT and a HD is HUGE and if you're used to the cruiser position, it's a lot to get used to. When I went from my VTX1800 to my first 2008 Wing, my first thought when I rode away from the dealer was, "Holy S*&T this is weird!"

Once I got used to it, there was no going back.

You need to take that RT out into some twisties and get used to what she can do because there isn't a cruiser on the planet that can keep up with the RT in it's natural environment. And take a long trip as well. Give yourself some time to appreciate how the bike works and what it will do. Don't let the "weirdness" of the new position put you off. It actually gives you more control and will allow you to stay on the bike longer since your weight is more evenly distributed across your thighs instead of all resting on your posterior.

There is a reason that the RT has been chosen Best Sport Touring bike by numerous publications every year since it's release. Give yourself some time.

And good luck!
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.