• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning: Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

jamo

Ultimately, I blame my obsessive compusive complex and the long winters in Wisconsin. By the time March rolls around, I'm in a motorcycle riding fit and searching for a new thrill. I had BMWs in mind because I'd had them in the past and good memories. I wanted to trade in 2013 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Ultra I got two springs ago for $11K. I thought it was too heavy and outdated since that model has been revised upward twice since then.

I traded it in on a 2015 BMW R1200RT w/14K miles discounted to $14,900 w/ BMW topcase. My reasoning was that the R1200 had twice the power, half the weight and double the technology. I asked if it had all option packages and John told me it was fully loaded. I took that as a "yes." He's a smooth salesman.

I'd known and worked with this Dealership since 1981 when I got my first real motorcycle, a 1976 R75/6. It's one of the older or the oldest dealership in the country in the original building. It's not really set up for test rides because the bikes are cramped in the showroom and tough to get out. I've had a few R and K bikes since then before I switched to Harley about 15 years ago. I thought I knew what I'd be getting. As the Baby Giant said to Bugs Bunny, "You can't outsmart me. I'm a moron!"

As I rode away, my upward smile turned down. It has some nice features, the moveable electric windshield, heated seat and grips. The ASE does nothing for me. I'd just as soon set suspension manually and leave it. It was no peppier than my 1983 GS1100E or any Japanese competition. It was cramped. When I put my feet up on the engine guard pegs, my knees are at my waist. I couldn't tour 250 miles without my legs cramping. The turn indicator is this cheap little Japanese style thing that I didn't buy a Triumph because of. You can't feel it with gloves on. I thought the topcase was a good backrest for my wife. It isn't. What was I thinking? It's half the bike the Road Glide Ultra was. And it cost $14,900! I'd have done better with the 2011 base model I looked at for $7K.

I asked the dealership to buy it back at $1500, $2000, $3000 less than I paid for it. The sales manager, Jason, wouldn't even take my call. John did, but they wouldn't by it back for wholesale or any price. I have to conclude that these are vastly overpriced and they can't unload them.

Once the bike was mine, they gave me one key! One, not two. It doesn't have remote start, so I think John might have been disingenious saying it is loaded since remote start is referenced in the Owner's Manual and I think it's part of a package. So one key, no seperate key for the top case. Any ideas I might have about parting the top case out I can just forget. They didn't tell me about that ahead of time. I had initialled the "arbitration clause" on the purchase agreement. I should have known better. Don't ever do that. You give up your legal recourse for no value.
I try to measure all injuries and disappointments against that of losing a child. So by that measure, this one is ultimately minor. But I lost at least two nights sleep so far and I've got more headaches ahead. And I'm not happy with the dealer. Bah!

I'll give you $11k for it. Too bad it doesn't work for you as it is a great bike for most.

I would never buy a used bike without riding it. I took mine out for an hour and a half (the dealer tossed me the key and just said to be back before they close in five hours) before I agreed to take it. No peppier than an '83 GS1000? Come on. That bike weighs the same or a little more, make 5 less HP and 13 ft-lbs less torque when it was brand new. Me thinks you remembereth poorly.

Too bad you're not happy but you should have rode it first.

Sorry to hear that you're not happy with the RT, I love mine. I traded in a 2011 HD Road Glide Ultra and don't miss
it one darn bit...

I find the RT light, agile and incredibly responsive..

Sorry to hear you are disappointed as I love my 2016 RT and did my 2006 as well. Also just bought a 2018 GS and loving it too.

Sounds like the dealer leaves a lot to be desired in customer relations. The price you paid sounds very fair and you should be able to sell it for what you paid.

As far as the pep goes compared to the GS1100e ... apples to oranges and very different bikes. From a handling perspective I suspect the RT will run away from the GS1100e.

As far as the ergonomics go ... well the RT is NOT a Harley and the riding position is very different but you should have realized that from just looking at the bike.

But we all make mistakes in life and this one should not be too expensive for you to fix.

I was unaware that BMW offered remote start on any of their bikes. Are you referring to keyless ignition instead? If so, that is an option.

Try Again

Hi,
You obviously bought the wrong bike. As mentioned, you should have taken a test ride. Not sure about your dealer but mine will let you ride just about everything in the show room. Coming from a bike with only 3” of rear wheel travel I can understand a “set it and forget mentality”. Your 1200RT has 5.4” of travel, almost twice as much. So, suspension adjustment is extremely important as to how this bike handles. It’s the difference between what may or may not drag in a corner and how your passenger's comfort level is effected. Being 69 and being able to just push some buttons makes this necessary task very easy. One up, two up, luggage full, it does not matter. It is also a sport tourer, not a tourer. If you like to ride the super slab, again you bought the wrong bike. This bike is made to find the twistiest, least amount of traffic, no leo’s kind of road, which requires that your feet be on the pegs and not highway pegs. You’ve got some good offers here, you should take advantage of one. Listening to your unhappiness you should have bought a Gold Wing.
Later,
Norm

I was unaware that BMW offered remote start on any of their bikes.
That seems like a bad idea. I assume you would have to leave your bike in neutral, something I never do except in my garage. Even automatic bikes and scooters make you hold the brake while starting, just in case the engine revs a bit too high and the centrifugal clutch launches your scooter.

Does any manufacturer offer a remote start capability???

Remote start? I don’t know of any bike that has this. Your right the BMW is no HD.....thankfully :) You really should have test rode it. How miles have you rode it? Maybe try it a while longer and see if it grows on you. If not sell it. Shame on the dealer if all this is true

Pretty sure when the OP says remote start he is referring to Keyless. And yes you could in 2015 get a Loaded bike without Keyless. My 2016 has every option except keyless and central locking. In 2019 it is harder to exclude keyless.

That seems like a bad idea. I assume you would have to leave your bike in neutral, something I never do except in my garage.
With keyless you need to have the fob within a couple feet of the bike.
Starting procedure is the same as other bikes, you just don't have to insert a key into a ignition slot.
Even if the bike is in neutral you can't start the bike from inside the house if the bike is in the garage or out on the driveway.

I don't know if keyless was a option on the 2015 RT.
My 2016 RS has it.

Entitled to your opinion, but the majority of people that enjoy sport touring rave about this bike. it's almost always a reference bike for others in the class as well as in a top ten in the category.

You're right, it ain't a Harley and that's why I switched from Harley's to an RT. It's the bike that brought me into BMW's. If I didn't already have 3 BMW's I'd certainly offer to buy your RT at 11K. I sold an UltraClassic to get an RT. Why? It's better all around.

I'd rather have ABS, Traction Control, ESA, adjustable windscreen, heated seats, heated grips, damn near twice the HP, sharp handling than a...

Radio on a Harley with 2 inches of suspension travel. Sure they look cool and are nice bikes, but no real comparison. Hell my 92 K75S has ABS, years before Harley. Still works.

Then there's this:
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/harley-davidson-recalls-175000-motorcycles-over-brake-failure/

Face it. You have buyers remorse and the bike intimidates you because you aren't used to the riding position and feel it may be too much of a bike. That's okay, take your time, don't be discouraged or fearful. Take a class, meet someone who ride's one. Be open to advice, feedback and then ride the hell out of it.

I bought a new G310GS without a test ride. Stupid. Big mistake. I told the dealer I made a stupid mistake, and he saved me by taking it back. Sold it shortly later to someone who did want the 310. Never buy a bike with which you are not very familiar without a test ride.

Years ago I was not so stupid. I test rode two Harleys and learned quickly they were not for me. Heavy, hot, sliggish, with harsh back-breaking suspensions.

Have been riding BMW RTs ever since -- airheads, oildheads, and now wetheads. Hands down, the best motorcycles I have ever ridden.

My 2015 R1200RT came with one fob. I bought a second fob -- not a problem. Same for my 2017 RT.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between "this thing is crap" and "This thing doesn't work for me". I can buy that it doesn't work for you... In some respects the Road Glide comparo may be legit but a true compare would have to acknowledge the pluses and minuses (differences?) of each. Anyway, the conclusion would have to be that they are totally different bikes useful for similar tasks (touring- albeit some say the RT is "adventure touring- I didn't know that and I am having a ball just plain touring on my 2016 RT)
The acceleration is so linear that it is deceptively fast, the electronics are in a class of their own and the style is, well, BMW! I tour with my son (he on his HD Ultra) and I feel like we are representing 2 marques that are deservedly legendary. (I do have a Heritage Softail for shorter trips and posing!) Honestly, it pains me when any of the classics I own are denigrated (Harley, BMW, and Triumph) Sure, compare euro touring, or big twin cruising or British iron, but beyond that, the type of "comparison" that offends (too strong a word but...) me is the apples to oranges. A wiser man than I once said "comparison is odious". Apparently this bike doesn't work for the OP.

Oh and I guess I dodged a bullet when I bought it- never test rode! I figured if my 6 year old GS650 was THAT good for its purpose this RT would do ITS job at least as well- and it did/does

With keyless you need to have the fob within a couple feet of the bike.
Starting procedure is the same as other bikes, you just don't have to insert a key into a ignition slot.
Even if the bike is in neutral you can't start the bike from inside the house if the bike is in the garage or out on the driveway.

I don't know if keyless was a option on the 2015 RT.
My 2016 RS has it.

The answer is yes, my 2015 RT has keyless.

But I lost at least two nights sleep so far and I've got more headaches ahead. And I'm not happy with the dealer. Bah!
Sell it on craigslist or CycleTrader. Asking a dealer to buy back a bike you just purchased from them is not the best route to take because you're only going to be offered trade-in value -- not the high dealer retail price that you just paid. That's probably true for any dealership of any manufacturer. And, of course, there are exceptions.

BTW, loss of 2+ nights of sleep is more than just "buyer's remorse." :scratch

I can not imagine spending thousands of dollars on a motorcycle and not test riding it. The OP screwed up!

The RT is a great motorcycle, it just is not for everyone. I also ride a Yamaha R1. It is a great bike too, if you ride it as it was intended.

The OP got rid of a fat, heavy HD and buys a sport touring machine. Like going from a Chevy Impala to a Camaro, and not liking the Camaro because it is not as comfortable.

Back