• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena 20s EVO

RPGR90s

Just upgraded my SMH10 to a 20s EVO. Question:

I want to switch over to Earbud's that still filter out noise, taking advantage of the speaker port on the 20s. Helmet is a new Shoei RF1200.

My only complaint with the SMH10 is that I wear earplugs but had to crank up the music to hear anything, so I'm hoping for a recommendation (Etymotic?) that might give me the same hearing protection with speakers, that allow me to listen at lower volumes.

Thanks much,

RPGR90s

Check me on this but I think the audio out on the 20s is only on the USB port on the helmet clamp. There is a plug on the back side of the clamp but that is an import audio jack for nav or radar detectors. On the 10S, we had to purchase a different clamp kit that had an audio plug wire hanging off the clamp. Again, I am not sure about the 20s but you might experiment with a cheap set of earbuds to make sure it does what you need before shelling out $$ for ear buds.

I use these. http://iasus-concepts.com/audio/xs3-helmet-speaker/

They are much clearer than the OEM Sena speakers. They also make a less expensove model. http://iasus-concepts.com/audio/xs2-1-helmet-speaker/

Enzo,

Just to be clear, you use the x3 speakers with your stock Sena 20 mount? Does the x3 speakers simply plug into the helmet clamp or do you do have to do any kind of mods?
I've never been happy with the Sena stock speakers.

Thanks for the advice,
Daryl

Sena speaker port

Check me on this but I think the audio out on the 20s is only on the USB port on the helmet clamp. There is a plug on the back side of the clamp but that is an import audio jack for nav or radar detectors. On the 10S, we had to purchase a different clamp kit that had an audio plug wire hanging off the clamp. Again, I am not sure about the 20s but you might experiment with a cheap set of earbuds to make sure it does what you need before shelling out $$ for ear buds.

Dug,

I believe the port is a 3.5mm standard female stereo jack. And yes, there's another port on the back.

20s_EVO_Earbuds.png

Good advice on experimenting. I can do that.

I use jaybird freedom earbuds, they are bluetooth, while I know thats not what you need they have foam tips made of the same material that earplugs are made of ! This gives them great noise reduction properties. I have seen corded ear buds with the same foam tips! I have also seen at best buy and Amazon replacement foam tips thay may be adaptable to different types of earbuds. For me the foam tips also stay in a lot better than the silicone tips!
Hope this helps!

Sena

I use jaybird freedom earbuds, they are bluetooth, while I know thats not what you need they have foam tips made of the same material that earplugs are made of ! This gives them great noise reduction properties. I have seen corded ear buds with the same foam tips! I have also seen at best buy and Amazon replacement foam tips thay may be adaptable to different types of earbuds. For me the foam tips also stay in a lot better than the silicone tips!
Hope this helps!

Thanks so much!

I use the wired Bose Nose Cancelling Ear buds. I can hear real well at any speed. Expensive but worth it to me.

Earbuds

Thank You all for the feedback.

I rode to work the other day and the stock 20s EVO speakers are definitely too quiet, even cranked up full volume with my earplugs in. So I'll be looking at the Bose system as well as the Etymotic ER3 XR.

I talked to Etymotic and they said I can try them out and send back if not satisfied.

Rick

Back