Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2003 K1200GT - Brake warning, ABS shutdown

At $140 I'd have a real hard time stepping up to a new one. If mine leaked or was somehow damaged, I'd check the used parts sites for options.
    If the float were simply not working, I'd be tempted to somehow lock it in an upper position, and live with it. It's only purpose is to warn you of low fluid levels. You can do that yourself by simply remembering to look at it.
    Immaterial, as I doubt yours is the source of the problem.

When was the last time this bike had a complete brake system flush and bleed, either by a dealer or by following the DIY procedure available on the internet? The boosted brakes, aka “whizzy” brakes, require a very specific procedure to flush and bleed the brake system. Part of that process is a final pressure test that requires the dealer MoDiTec equipment or a GS911. Dealers charge $180-250 for the job and it’s worth the money if you have a good dealer with a tech who’s been around long enough to have been to service school on these systems.

Don’t worry about your fluid reservoir; if both sections are well above Min they are not the source of your problem, as a low fluid level will only trigger the alternating lights and will not shut down your boost pump. And if you overfill the reservoir, it can relieve excess fluid on its own through the hoses attached to the caps—it’s not unusual to see that happen when the caliper pistons are pushed back to install new brake pads.

The concerning issue you have is the complete shutdown of your boost system. Usually that’s an electrical issue as mentioned previously, a bad ABS module or module connection, or a problem in the boost pump itself. If this were my bike, I’d be starting by cataloging the light sequences you’re getting. From Anton Largiader’s website:

Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
    Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
    Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits. Self-diagnosis not completed.
    Gen ON, ABS off = Tail light/brake light defective.
    Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
    Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
    Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low.

That may give you a pointer in the right direction. Also, if this were my bike i’d be running it to my favorite trusted technician to have a flush/bleed/pressure test done as a baseline, and in case there is an air bubble in the ABS boost unit.

Good luck,

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    When was the last time this bike had a complete brake system flush and bleed, either by a dealer or by following the DIY procedure available on the internet?
    The first post said 200 miles ago. Since he mentioned the front reservoir I took for granted he did a full flush and bleed.
    If the full flush was not done this would be my next step.
    Even if it was done, I would be temped to do it again.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Problem solved. Rear brake micro switch not pushed. I adjusted the stop screw up higher to make it click when no pressure is on the pedal.

The GS-911 diagnostic tool didn't help in this situation. No fault codes even though the ABS was shutdown. I sent an email to GS911 support asking for some User usage pointers. I see some values on realtime mode but not an ABS fault code I would expect.

Anyway, nothing to do with the float inside the tank. Nothing about the bike on the side stand. Good news is I did purchase some electrical cleaner and electrical grease for shop material as I touch many of the connections. Good to clean them and prevent corrosion.

I did poked a small screw driver to look for a stuck float. They were ok and floating. Remove that from the theory list. I did top off the reservoirs over max. I was testing the side stand theory as the reason for the fault. That test led me to a way of consistently getting a failure, then ABS working then failure again. I did read some tips on the rear brake stop screw. I checked to see if the pressure plate slipped out of position, etc. I already had some problems with that screw and the brake light being on while riding.

I pulled up on the brake pedal it insure the micro switch was touched and turned on the ignition. Good slow flashing light. Turning off, when I push the pedal down and slowly released, the stop set screw didn't fully retract click the micro switch. Ignition on, fast flashing light and no ABS.

Lessons learned. Thanks for the assistance.
    2003 K1200GT

Good to hear you found the problem and it didn't cost big bucks to fix.
    Thanks for the update.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Zero bucks except some shop material of electrical cleaner and electric connector grease. A 10mm wrench is getting a lot of use.

I saved off DG's chart of flash codes for future reference. Mine code was Gen OFF Brake light 4 Hz indicating all systems kaput.

I also found my Plan B if needed (buy a parts bike). Same cost as a $3k ABS controller. Unreal the deterioration of bike values.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/m...859709245.html
    Last edited by jrmull; 04-07-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    2003 K1200GT

Update from GS-911 diagnostic tool company. I told them about the brake light micro switch not fully touched before starting the bike. And who come there isn't a Fault code seen on the GS911. Their response:

" Hi John

Thank you for your extensive detailed description of your experience.

I believe the reason for you not receiving a fault code, is that the device believes that ABS has been disabled deliberately, thus not responding with a fault code.

The best course of action here that I can suggest, is check the real time values for the controller in both the above mentioned scenarios. This will allow you to see the values of the rear brake switch when working correctly and not. You can then proceed to adjust the lever to be at a starting position according to the working value of your tests. To make this a bit easier to identify, you could engage the brake lever while viewing real time values to establish how adjustments should be made.

| Please let me know if any of the above is unclear or if I misunderstood any of your points.

Kind regards
    Ruan"

Nice folks. True, I can see in RealTime mode various actions, brake on and off, front brake one and off. Just no fault code while the brake warning light is flashing at 4hz No GEN with no booster or abs. Still a good tool to see what switches are being identified and active with a touch to each. A person just had to get lucky and dig deeper.
    2003 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
    Zero bucks except some shop material of electrical cleaner and electric connector grease. A 10mm wrench is getting a lot of use.

I saved off DG's chart of flash codes for future reference. Mine code was Gen OFF Brake light 4 Hz indicating all systems kaput.

I also found my Plan B if needed (buy a parts bike). Same cost as a $3k ABS controller. Unreal the deterioration of bike values.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/m...859709245.html
    Yeah, under $3k for a GT with 45k miles! Cheapest I've seen them to date. A lot of bike for the money.