• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for my First BMW

themlruts

All,
I am looking for my first BMW. I have been a Suzuki rider much much of my life. First bike was DRZ-400s second SV650s, third Night hawk 750 (i know Yamaha), current GSX-1250FA (bandit)

Long story short the wife wants to start riding with me. She can only last an hour or so on the bandit. The bike is just to small and really not that comfy for longer rides. I am looking for something to to some longer rides. Something where we can ride for 2-3 days. My goal was I wanted a bike that still had zip like my bandit but had the creature comforts and space for two. I am not a small person :eat

I was at the dealer last week here in CT Sat on the new RT1250 and the K1600B Grand America. Wife and I of course fit better on the K1600. I decided to take it for a test ride. OMG I fell in love. I did take the wife with me as well and all she could take about was the heated seat LOL.
And man did that thing have zip i was amazed.

I did not get a chance to ride it solo. While I dont expect it to handle like my bandit just based on the size and weight it did feel pretty agile while moving. How is it riding solo?

As i said before I never owned a BMW.
How are they to work on? I pretty much have done all my own maintenance on all my bikes, tractors dirtbikes..... Are BMW that much different?

I am sure i will have more questions but I appreciate all the help in advance.
Thanks
Mike

Bikes

This is my 1st BMW too. I came off a Victory CCT on to a R1200RT. I also had an FJR1300 AE for about 6 months before I decided on the BMW. I have owned it for about 9 months and have over 11K miles on it. Maintenance is pretty straight forward on a BMW as long as you have the G911 tool diagnose and reset the mileage between oil changes. That is one part I am not really fond of. You either buy a $400 tool or you take it to a dealer to have them reset it. My dealer charges 30 minutes labor to do it. He also charges 30 minutes labor to do an oil change so I bite the bullet and let them change oil. 6,000 mile intervals makes it a bit less painful.

As for riding, the bike is a dream for handling. The stock seat is subject to debate. Some like it, but my wife and I couldn't ride very far without discomfort. I ended up with a Russell Day Long seat.

Storage wise, the 2 panniers hold a fair amount. I added a Givi 56L trunk for the longer trips and to hold a CPAP and a small tank bag for incidentals.

How are they to work on? I pretty much have done all my own maintenance on all my bikes, tractors dirtbikes..... Are BMW that much different?

The 1600 will take longer to work on because it's harder to get at the valves to check clearance.
The K1300S I used to own had a similar engine except it was a 4 cyl instead of 6 cylinder.
The valve check interval was 18,000 miles on the K1300 and I'm guessing the 1600 is the same.
The valve check interval for the R1250 is 12,000 miles.
If you can do your own service you'll probably be happier with the smoother and more powerful 1600.
You may want to also check out the K1600GT and K1600GTL.

All,
I am looking for my first BMW. I have been a Suzuki rider much much of my life. First bike was DRZ-400s second SV650s, third Night hawk 750 (i know Yamaha), current GSX-1250FA (bandit)

Long story short the wife wants to start riding with me. She can only last an hour or so on the bandit. The bike is just to small and really not that comfy for longer rides. I am looking for something to to some longer rides. Something where we can ride for 2-3 days. My goal was I wanted a bike that still had zip like my bandit but had the creature comforts and space for two. I am not a small person :eat

I was at the dealer last week here in CT Sat on the new RT1250 and the K1600B Grand America. Wife and I of course fit better on the K1600. I decided to take it for a test ride. OMG I fell in love. I did take the wife with me as well and all she could take about was the heated seat LOL.

I did not get a chance to ride it solo. While I dont expect it to handle like my bandit just based on the size and weight it did feel pretty agile while moving. How is it riding solo?

Thanks
Mike

Had an R1200RT for 7 years - nearly 80,000 miles of touring all over the USA on it. Now own a Gold Wing - with more rider-room, storage and power, definitely the 'gold standard' of big touring bikes, and above a walking pace, I can make it dance!

That being said, if it's a BMW you seek, the K1600GTL is a nice ride, with some neat features. Hard to think you'd be unhappy with it! :thumb

I had a 2003 Bandit and an FJR and just bought my first Beemer last year. Love it. Fun to work on.

Cost and handling is subjective but if you are going to be doing your own maintenance, those 6 cylinder K bikes are a total nightmare. I strongly suggest you check out a couple videos on YouTube to get yourself acquainted with having to take a motorcycle half apart just to do a valve check, let alone actually adjust them. Granted they have long check intervals but still, you have to drain all the coolant (not cheap) every time and I couldn't even try to do it without a good lift. Having the dealer do it is many hundreds of dollars too.

The RT on the other hand is very, very, easy to work on what with the jugs hanging out in the breeze like they do. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and welcome to the community.

PS - a 750 Nighthawk is a Honda. :laugh

RT or K

All,

Thanks
Mike

I work with a girl who faced the same dilemma. Her husband had an old Honda V45, which was nice but not a good 2up touring bike. They took a few trips overseas and rented RT's. But last January, they went to the dealer and test rode a K1600GT and bought it.

Personally, I ride a R1150RT and have only ridden two up a few times. The K would be better overall 2 up, but the Boxer has its own unique character and amazing handling.

It's a personal decision but for me, it's hard to give up light weight as I get older.

Welcome to the forum. I am on my first BMW also, but my riding style and bike criteria are so different from yours that I will not offer any suggestions or advice.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum and all things BMW! I made the switch from UJM's to BMW's about 22 years ago and have been very happy with my decision.

One consideration I would add to the excellent thoughts you've received so far. While I love the feel of the Boxer engine in the RT, many folks coming out of Japanese bikes find the slight vibration in the Boxer to be annoying (even though the Wethead RT has pretty much eliminated that twin feel). I would certainly encourage you to do extended rides on both the RT and the K1600 before you make your decision. The K1600 will feel most like the Japanese bikes you're accustomed to.

Good luck with your decision!

I had a 2003 Bandit and an FJR and just bought my first Beemer last year. Love it. Fun to work on.

Cost and handling is subjective but if you are going to be doing your own maintenance, those 6 cylinder K bikes are a total nightmare. I strongly suggest you check out a couple videos on YouTube to get yourself acquainted with having to take a motorcycle half apart just to do a valve check, let alone actually adjust them. Granted they have long check intervals but still, you have to drain all the coolant (not cheap) every time and I couldn't even try to do it without a good lift. Having the dealer do it is many hundreds of dollars too.

The RT on the other hand is very, very, easy to work on what with the jugs hanging out in the breeze like they do. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and welcome to the community.

PS - a 750 Nighthawk is a Honda. :laugh
you are 100% percent. I was thinking blue in my head since mine was blue. :banghead

I recommend the K1300S. Fast and comfortable. It’s as happy at 30mph as it is at 150+. Ride it to the store or across country. Highway, twisties or drag strip all find it happy.

I am tall and wish it had an inch or two more legroom but I still say it is the best all-around bike I have ever owned.F63DB62C-86EC-48B0-82E7-D9C617CAD85D.jpg

I am not a small person :eat

Does that also mean tall? If so, look at the R1200GS or R1250GS models. My GS is the bike for me. I am 6'4" tall. It's also easier to work on than an RT - much less in the way of body work to get out of the way. I have a tall seat for it, both the BMW tall seat and a custom Sargent with extra padding to make it the equivalent of the BMW tall seat.

Harry

I had been riding Harley touring bikes for about two decades and was finding the weight of the bike was becoming more of a handful than what I was comfortable with as I've gotten older. So over the past two years I have sold the Harleys and acquired a 2017 R1200RT and a 2018 R1200GSA. I like them both.

I had considered the K1600 in GTL and GA trim, but thought them to be almost as heavy as the Harleys and stayed away. But I did ride the GTL and liked everything about it. We ride the RT two-up and it does well enough, although for the two of us it's not as roomy as the Harleys nor the GTL/GA. To be honest, I wish I had given the GTL more of a chance, because we're finding the RT to be a bit too much compromise for fully laden long weekend tours. My wife and I lean a little toward the "full-figured" status, and while I think the RT would be find for average folks, I'd like a little more room (ergonomically speaking only, the luggage capacity is fine).

So in a year or two I'm going to give the GTL another chance.

One reason I shied away from the K1600 is my perception of higher maintenance costs and hassle, particularly valve clearance checks. But my understanding (I may stand corrected) is that the maintenance schedule calls for valve checks every 12k miles, which would be about every year for me. I've been told that the 12k scheduled maintenance would be about $1000 or so, and I could live with that every year if the bike is reliable in every other way. Considering that my two boxers have been issue-free (combined mileage about 22k), I'm quite confident in the BMW platform.

2522522.jpg

Last June, I sold my Kawasaki and I purchased a R1200RT. I love this bike and it is just so much fun to ride. it rides even better solo then when two up. I have my service done by my dealer so I cant answer about maintenance. Good luck on your search. Jay

Jay Bike1.jpeg

................................it rides even better solo then when two up......... Jay

View attachment 74227
I do understand what you mean. Mine (1250 RT) is A LOT better solo than two up. This is due to when my wife rides, the bike seems somewhat de-rated. LOL. I ride like she's is back there, if you know what I mean :whistle

Definitely Ride Modes with 2 distinct personalities. Although, she did get to feel the power of the 1250 on the interstate a few times. She was impressed with the get up and go it has. Only once did I barely run out of room trying to pass on a lane ending, but she was not too nervous about the manuver. Won't happen again.

Back