• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil change on k1600

desperado2

Going to change the oil on my 2013 k1600 GTL. Prior to this it has been done at the dealers. Is it necessary to remove the smaller secondary 5MM hex bolt? Removing the 8MM one is no problem. The thought of removing and losing the smaller one located up into the sump makes me a little nervous. What if I don't remove this one. Am I getting enough of the oil out to ensure a good change or is it necessary to remove both to ensure a complete change out. Thanks

The short answer is no. You are not getting all the oil out.
You'll need a long 5 mm hex bit. I got mine off eBay.
Make sure the hex bit is square and not a ball-end type or you may be asking for trouble.
If you do it correctly, the oil will be hot. So wear appropriate gloves.
Its not as difficult as some may lead you to believe.
Take your time...you'll be fine.

Joe

Over on the 1600 forum, a member named RL Lemke sells a drain plug for the inner sump, do yourself a big favor and get one
Money well spent

Going to change the oil on my 2013 k1600 GTL. Prior to this it has been done at the dealers. Is it necessary to remove the smaller secondary 5MM hex bolt? Removing the 8MM one is no problem. The thought of removing and losing the smaller one located up into the sump makes me a little nervous. What if I don't remove this one. Am I getting enough of the oil out to ensure a good change or is it necessary to remove both to ensure a complete change out. Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into getting the Super Plug. Going to give it a whirl this weekend

Oil Change

Hi there;

Just a week ago I did the first oil change on my (new to me) 2013 K1600GTL.. Reading the forums I was a little nervous (more fear than substance). I have changed oil and done minor backyard mechanic work on bikes in the past. It should be noted that I am, as confirmed by family members, very clumsy. The oil change was easy and no issue. The 5mm has to be removed to completely drain the oil from the bike You would have to be the the most uncoordinated person on the planet to mess this up. From a poster in forums I did purchase the Bondhus 3 inch pro hold 5mm hex power bit. This was great, adding quite a bit of grip to the 5mm drain plug, but it was really not needed I found after all. Just take time and wear gloves especially if the oil is real hot.

Regards

Neil

Hey how much did you end up paying

I saw your note and I am considering bike 4, a 2013 gtl, with average farkles... 19,000 miles.

What do you think is a great great buy?

Paul

Oil change

I did the 6k oil change on my K1600B. Like you I was a bit concerned about the process. There are a couple of excellent YouTube videos on the subject that are very helpful. It is an extra step but with the correct tools it really isn't bad.

Good luck with it.

yes im going to open this can of worms as i am heading to my first oil change on my new to me bike, dealer did the first.

So what are you guys running? is anyone using shell rotella?

Castrol Power1 5W40 4T synthetic. I find it on sale on Amazon occasionally as well as the filters and crush washers.

Lemke Super Plug

Okay, I give. Can someone please insert a link to RL Lemke's site? I would like to order one of his "super plugs". Thanks

For DIY's..

I recently performed the first oil change on my new-to-me 1600 and had no problem. However a solution to the concern some have of losing the smaller crankcase plug in the sump became clear. Simply source a 6 inch length of thin walled pipe/tubing that will pass through the sump drain hole and encase the internal crankcase plug. A properly sized rolled up plastic binder divider would suffice.

Steps would be:
1 - Drain the sump (external plug)
2 - Break torque of the crankcase plug (internal plug)
3 - Insert the tube ensuring it bottoms out around the crankcase plug
4 - While holding the tube in place with one hand insert the 5mm hex and thread the plug out with the other. The plug is captured,
it has to exit
5 - Install in the same manner if you feel the need
6 - Torque both plugs to spec.

Buy oil with the $35 you would have spent on an unnecessary tool.

Last edited:
Back