Thread: Oil change on k1600

Oil change on k1600

Going to change the oil on my 2013 k1600 GTL. Prior to this it has been done at the dealers. Is it necessary to remove the smaller secondary 5MM hex bolt? Removing the 8MM one is no problem. The thought of removing and losing the smaller one located up into the sump makes me a little nervous. What if I don't remove this one. Am I getting enough of the oil out to ensure a good change or is it necessary to remove both to ensure a complete change out. Thanks

The short answer is no. You are not getting all the oil out.
    You'll need a long 5 mm hex bit. I got mine off eBay.
    Make sure the hex bit is square and not a ball-end type or you may be asking for trouble.
    If you do it correctly, the oil will be hot. So wear appropriate gloves.
    Its not as difficult as some may lead you to believe.
    Take your time...you'll be fine.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Over on the 1600 forum, a member named RL Lemke sells a drain plug for the inner sump, do yourself a big favor and get one
    Money well spent

Quote Originally Posted by desperado2 View Post
    Going to change the oil on my 2013 k1600 GTL. Prior to this it has been done at the dealers. Is it necessary to remove the smaller secondary 5MM hex bolt? Removing the 8MM one is no problem. The thought of removing and losing the smaller one located up into the sump makes me a little nervous. What if I don't remove this one. Am I getting enough of the oil out to ensure a good change or is it necessary to remove both to ensure a complete change out. Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. I will look into getting the Super Plug. Going to give it a whirl this weekend

Oil Change

Hi there;

Just a week ago I did the first oil change on my (new to me) 2013 K1600GTL.. Reading the forums I was a little nervous (more fear than substance). I have changed oil and done minor backyard mechanic work on bikes in the past. It should be noted that I am, as confirmed by family members, very clumsy. The oil change was easy and no issue. The 5mm has to be removed to completely drain the oil from the bike You would have to be the the most uncoordinated person on the planet to mess this up. From a poster in forums I did purchase the Bondhus 3 inch pro hold 5mm hex power bit. This was great, adding quite a bit of grip to the 5mm drain plug, but it was really not needed I found after all. Just take time and wear gloves especially if the oil is real hot.

Regards

Neil

Hey how much did you end up paying

I saw your note and I am considering bike 4, a 2013 gtl, with average farkles... 19,000 miles.

What do you think is a great great buy?

Paul

Oil change

I did the 6k oil change on my K1600B. Like you I was a bit concerned about the process. There are a couple of excellent YouTube videos on the subject that are very helpful. It is an extra step but with the correct tools it really isn't bad.

Good luck with it.

yes im going to open this can of worms as i am heading to my first oil change on my new to me bike, dealer did the first.

So what are you guys running? is anyone using shell rotella?
    2016 K1600 GTLE
    previous 2013 Kawi 1400

Castrol 5W-40 4T.
    Thats what the book calls for.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Castrol Power1 5W40 4T synthetic. I find it on sale on Amazon occasionally as well as the filters and crush washers.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Over on the 1600 forum, a member named RL Lemke sells a drain plug for the inner sump, do yourself a big favor and get one
    Money well spent
    +1 on the super plug, get one and you will not worry about oil changes again!