• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100RS to R100RT Conversion?

jmunsey

I recently picked up an 82 R100RS but not really keen n that riding position. Is it possible and how difficult ($$$) would it be to convert from RS to RT? Do all the fairing parts have to be replaced or just some of them? Will an RT fairing bolt right on to the RS? I would then think new handle bars and cables would be needed. Any help, advice or ridicule always welcome! ;-):):):):dance:dance

I've done the same thing in reverse. Changed an RT to an RS but didn't like it so now it's an S.

You will need new handlebars, cables and front brake hose. The main fairing bracket is different but the lower fairing bracket under the tank is the same. The handlebar switches and wiring will be ok. The lower fairing bracket under the tank is the same. The fairing lowers are the same.

Sometimes the recommendation is to just go buy an RT and let someone who really wants an RS to have it. :stick

But something that you might consider is to look into K75S and/or K75C bars. They have more pull back and could possibly be a solution to the riding position. Not sure if the cables will all work, but the change isn't completely radical like RT bars, so it might work.

Here's past post showing dimensions of the K75 bars:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46377-RS-bars-on-a-K75RT

Or maybe consider bar-backs.

And, if you want to, you can follow the thread about my build of a 1983 RS into an RT.

--> https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?77871-1983-R100RS-Rebuild-Project-Journal

k12lts's list of changes is correct. But, you may find that the handlebar switch wires on the RS are too short for the RT bar. I believe the ones I have on the 1983 RS will fit as they are about 520 mm. But the ones on my 1977 RS wouldn't as they are shorter; about 230 mm. If you check the parts for the RS vs. the RT, the switch cables are longer for the RT. For reasons I don't understand, I got lucky on the 1983 RS as it has the longer switch cables.

The other parts are the side storage boxes on the RT, if you want to have them, but those aren't required for the conversion.

Based on my project, with used upper side panels and no side storage boxes, parts cost will run on the order of $700. Paint will add more to that cost should you want them to match.

If you want to raise your existing RS bars to a more comfortable height, you can use bar risers, but you will lose the rubber dash panel so you can raise the bars and not have the panel interfere with the steering damper knob. You buy these from various places. Or, you can go to your hardware store and buy some spacers for about $12.00 total that will raise them about an inch. You can see what I did here.

--> https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyc...he-frame-up/#Handlebar_Mounting_Modifications

I hope that helps.

Best.
Brook Reams.

Last edited:
Just buy an RT, and save one that'll otherwise probably be chopped into a cafe bike. RTs in equal or better condition than an S or RS will typically be about $1K cheaper. Airhead RTs remain fabulous motorcycles for real distance touring and no-muss-no-fuss commuting. 500 mile days? No problem. Rain? No problem. Temps falling into the 40s, or high 30s? With just an electric vest under your riding jacket, no problem. It's when you get to "hot, humid, and ATGATT" that its terrific wind protection becomes problematic.

Just buy an RT, and save one that'll otherwise probably be chopped into a cafe bike. RTs in equal or better condition than an S or RS will typically be about $1K cheaper. Airhead RTs remain fabulous motorcycles for real distance touring and no-muss-no-fuss commuting. 500 mile days? No problem. Rain? No problem. Temps falling into the 40s, or high 30s? With just an electric vest under your riding jacket, no problem. It's when you get to "hot, humid, and ATGATT" that its terrific wind protection becomes problematic.

This is the second recommendation for that...and I did consider it.....but I currently have 3 vehicles, 4 motorcycles and 2 trailers...and the thought of adding another vehicle title, tags, insurance, taxes, etc.....and picking up another older vehicle without really knowing the history...seemed a bit prohibitive. I intend to ride this RS to the National rally and back as it is....then I will decide on conversion as a winter project. I am 420 miles away from the National rally...gonna allow two days both ways just in case. I am pretty sure the bike has no problem racking up those miles...but sadly...I am getting a little long in the tooth. Thanks!

Jim

I've done the same thing in reverse. Changed an RT to an RS but didn't like it so now it's an S.

You will need new handlebars, cables and front brake hose. The main fairing bracket is different but the lower fairing bracket under the tank is the same. The handlebar switches and wiring will be ok. The lower fairing bracket under the tank is the same. The fairing lowers are the same.

Hi all,

I am happy to be part of the BMWMOA again.

Excuse me resurrecting an old post - but it is pretty close to on point with an issue that I have.
I am considering a similar conversion - 1989 R100RT to a R100RS fairing. I would like to take the fairing off an old 1977 R100RS that is in bad shape (except fairing). I wonder if that RS fairing (along with related parts) can be moved over to the 1989. Or are the newer bikes too different?

MG

MG -

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure there are lots of details to doing this, but I thought I'd just investigate the main fairing panels on the '77 RS. If you go to this page on RealOEM for the '77:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=0316-USA-01-1977-2474-BMW-R_100_RS&mg=46&sg=63

You can check that the upper part of the fairing, the headlight surround, and lower cowling part numbers were used out to the early 1990s. You can click on the part number and get to some more screens that will let you know what common models the part was used on. It doesn't guarantee that some of the interior pieces might be slightly different...but if the main fairing parts cross over, seems like you would be way ahead of the game.

The airhead RS upper fairing and its mounting bits remained unchanged throughout its production, and fits monoshock and twin-shock bikes the same. You want to use the split lowers and louvered lower center panel (with the oil cooler opening), that your RT already has, for your RT-to-RS conversion. Your RT’s lower fairing bits will bolt right onto the donor RS upper fairing.

Last edited:
Perhaps we should swap RS and RT parts?

Hi all,

I am happy to be part of the BMWMOA again.

Excuse me resurrecting an old post - but it is pretty close to on point with an issue that I have.
I am considering a similar conversion - 1989 R100RT to a R100RS fairing. I would like to take the fairing off an old 1977 R100RS that is in bad shape (except fairing). I wonder if that RS fairing (along with related parts) can be moved over to the 1989. Or are the newer bikes too different?

MG

I am considering converting my 1982 R100RS to an RT as my old back does not deal well with that RS riding position.

Please keep any trade discussions off the forum...use the Notification System for that. Thanks!

Back