• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ADVMonster H7 Installation

pappy35

I recently decided to go LED and bought three ADVMonster H7s for my RT. Installation was uneventful as I tore the fairing off and worked on the headlight housing removed. I finally got a chance to get her out at night and was very disappointed by the result. Note, I don't think there is anything wrong with the lights themselves, they are very well made and very bright and they didn't have any CanBus errors. I think that the problem here is something to do with the housing? I have no idea so I thought I'd post pics here as I know many of you have them installed as well.

The first picture shows the left side of the beam pattern which I found to be excellent. The central hot spot though has this upslope that wasn't there with the incandescent bulbs they replaced. The arrow points to the point that the bike is aiming at to show where center is for reference.

The next picture highlights the main problem in that there is no light projecting on right side at all. Obviously this is a deal breaker and my main point of confusion. I don't understand why one side would be different than the other as the pattern is symmetrical with the stock bulbs.

The last picture is just a view without any lines drawn for reference. I love the color and the brightness but that asymmetry just doesn't work for me. The high beam isn't shown in these images BTY. Can anyone that has these "bulbs" installed post a similar picture? Both lights are properly installed and fully seated in their mounts so I don't thinks it's a mounting problem. I would really appreciate any feedback you folks could provide. Thanks!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

What would happen if you swapped the right/left bulbs? I wonder if a tiny manufacturing slip could account for this.

Never tried that but unless someone can help me understand the physics of what going on here I'm kind of done with LEDs for now. Throwing away $160 stings quite a bit and I don't really want to mess with it anymore. Maybe someone will have some ideas at the rally.

Never tried that but unless someone can help me understand the physics of what going on here I'm kind of done with LEDs for now. Throwing away $160 stings quite a bit and I don't really want to mess with it anymore. Maybe someone will have some ideas at the rally.

I had a similar issue with cyclops led bulbs in my 2010 RT. The emitters were too far apart due to the thick heat sink. That caused bright and dark spots, with some glare to side traffic. Switched to an Evitek E2 skies bulb with a heat shrink thin enough that the emitters are in, the same place as a standard bulb. Greatly improved pattern with no glare for approaching traffic. Google that bulb on ADVrider for more info.

I've got a set of Cyclops coming after the owner assured me I could return them if I have the same issues with the beam pattern. If they don't work I'll try these. Did these play nice with the CANBUS?

I've got a set of Cyclops coming after the owner assured me I could return them if I have the same issues with the beam pattern. If they don't work I'll try these. Did these play nice with the CANBUS?

i have the Cyclops Gen II LEDs on my 13 rt...good pattern, very bright, no canbus issues...the Gen I not so much...and their warranty is outstanding, one of the ballasts failed after about a month, replaced without a problem...

Please let me know how you make out with the Cyclops, I am getting ready to make the jump to LED myself and have been debating on which brand to get. Did you replace the two parking lights? I am looking for a CanBus friendly replacement for those also.

I have tried both the Cyclops and ADVMonster LEDs and both had the exact same results - very bright white lighting with a well defined cut off to the left but virtually no light to the right (the halogens are yellowish and dim by comparison but are fully symmetrical). I have one more I'm going to try (a cheap Chinese brand that was recommended by someone with a Camhead who provided pictures that were much better than what I got).

My advise to you is to accept that LED replacements are not currently feasible for 2005-2013 RTs. Water cooled RTs are completely different in that they use a single low beam reflector verses our dual lows. I believe now that those who claim success are simply being dazzled by the brilliance of the light and not being analytical about the beam distribution. For both bulbs I installed there is basically zero light projected to the right of center line. If you're not concerned about that (think seeing a deer that about to jump out at you) then by all means, go for it. If you have auxiliary lighting (like Denali) that would cover this blind area that would be different as well.

Now, I know there are a lot of people here that claim they are great but before you start chiming in to tell me I'm wrong, provide a nighttime image showing a clean cutoff line that is symmetrical and the brand of light you used. Words are cheap, pictures are proof.

As for the side marker light, I successfully used Sylvania 168 LEDs I bought at Autozone.

I should note here that Darryl at Cyclops provided exceptional customer support as I tried to figure out what was going on. We e-mailed back and forth probably 50 times about this. Great folks to deal with so be sure to spend a lot of money at their booth at the Rally! :D

I wrote a long story about LED's in my RT.. I took mine out because of other drivers.. I was constantly getting brightened/Flashed and even got followed one time because they are too bright with 2 of them so close together.. I switched to HID and they are sooo much better... If you never ride at night, no big deal.. If you ride in a city at night with LED's.. be warned..

I wrote a long story about LED's in my RT.. I took mine out because of other drivers.. I was constantly getting brightened/Flashed and even got followed one time because they are too bright with 2 of them so close together.. I switched to HID and they are sooo much better... If you never ride at night, no big deal.. If you ride in a city at night with LED's.. be warned..

Yeah. I'm one who actually cares about blinding other drivers (it's a golden-rule thing for me) and I concur that LEDs are too bright in reflector housings.

It seems like marketing LEDs has settled on one upping your competition in the Lumen department which is an absurd benchmark. I am tempted to try HIDs as what I'm looking for is halogen-like beam pattern that is closer to pure white color temperature.

What HIDs did you install and how difficult/expensive were they? I shied away due the added problem of mounting the ballasts. Did you write that review here? Can you provide a link?

LEDs

I have a Mazda 5 which burns thru H7 bulbs. Tried three diff LEDs until I purchased these adjustable units. Not just bright, but a cut off with a little fill over the top. My left bulb burned out on my 2013 RT so installed it and adjusted it until I got pattern I wanted. Have bought extra sets for the future.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773CW4L7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I do have garage door picks but I do not use any pic sharing sites so cannot download.

Back