Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1st Rally !

It will be my first one as well. Also, my first long trip. I bought a K1600 a couple of months ago. MY wife will be coming, but she's not sure if she's riding or driving her truck. Her back was hurting after the 2 hour ride we did a month ago.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMYMUTT View Post
    It will be my first one as well. Also, my first long trip. I bought a K1600 a couple of months ago. MY wife will be coming, but she's not sure if she's riding or driving her truck. Her back was hurting after the 2 hour ride we did a month ago.
    Awesome seeing all these first timers! Welcome!

Sounds like some training rides are in order. Just as a rider can't hop on the bike and ride 1000 miles in absolute comfort...a pillion also requires some break-in time in the saddle.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

my 8th MOA Rally

Welcome to all first timers! This will be my 8th MOA National Rally since 2005, and it always gets me excited to attend! I love seeking out the first timer buttons asking about their impressions! These rallies are like drinking from a fire hose! So much to do! Enjoy!

Mark
    2002 R1150R Atlanta Blue
    2004 R1150RT Platinum
    2005 K1200LT Graphite

No no no, the firehose is definitely the Dakar thread every year on ADV. To the point that it is affectionately known as the F5irehose. That tends to go off the hook!
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    I'm afraid you've lost a many of us with that reference material.

We still have a few Curve Cowboy folks, but the GS Giant crowd just got pissed off (at MOA) and departed.

"travel'n" john

If I attend it will be my first. I was going to bring my son for GEARS, but he's wrapping up school and didn't want to miss. I will likely trailer the bike and ride into the Rally site from the parking lot. Questions:

1. Can I register as a walk/drive/ride up?
    2. Can I park my bike next to my tent or nearby?
    3. Other than my tent stuff, what do I need to bring for "camping"? Cooler?
    4. I guess during the day you do seminars and group rides? I've never done a group ride of more than two people. Are there "chill" groups? I've been on many car fun runs that got out of hand.
    5. What else does a n00b need to know so as not to look like a total n00b (despite the button)?

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    If I attend it will be my first. I was going to bring my son for GEARS, but he's wrapping up school and didn't want to miss. I will likely trailer the bike and ride into the Rally site from the parking lot. Questions:

1. Can I register as a walk/drive/ride up?
    2. Can I park my bike next to my tent or nearby?
    3. Other than my tent stuff, what do I need to bring for "camping"? Cooler?
    4. I guess during the day you do seminars and group rides? I've never done a group ride of more than two people. Are there "chill" groups? I've been on many car fun runs that got out of hand.
    5. What else does a n00b need to know so as not to look like a total n00b (despite the button)?
    1. You can pay at the gate.
    2. In most cases you can park your bike near your tent. You can't park your truck in the tent camping area.
    3. Since you have room a coooler would be handy.
    4. I don't believe they organize group rides other than the BMW test rides.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

R65 Steve

Just show up and have a good time sir. In the MOA being a noob is completely painless. When members find out this is your first rally, you will be welcomed with open arms and many free beers. It is our sincere desire to make you feel welcome. Anything you need just ask someone, they will trip over each other to help you.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Biergarten volunteers

To all of you wonderful first-timers, may I first welcome you. And secondly, to get fully immersed in the rally, why not volunteer for a shift at the beer garden? I see many repeaters over the years. It truly is an experience. You can sign up at moa2019volunteers@gmail.com.

Jim MAD DOG Faucher
    2019BG chair
    Lebanon, TN

Mad Daaaaaaaawwwwwwggggg!
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

OP here, good to see other 1st rally goers chirp in here ! There must be more !
    It just keeps getting better , free beer ticket !
    Hope the weather here decides to break so I can start getting in some miles, lot of rain and cold temps yet..
    Ride Well, Mark
    BMWMOA #215490, BMWRA #44275
    2016 BMW R1200RS,2013 KTM 250 XCFW
    some previous bikes, 2014 Suzuki 1000 V Strom, KTM SMT 990, Suzuki DR650, Triumph ST1050

This first timer did volunteer for some beer garden assistance. I am looking forward to meeting a lot of nice folks. Cheers!
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

another first timer coming

I bought my first two BMW motorcycles just this year. Joined some forums, then discovered MOA. Had no clue what it was. Then I read about the rally. Cleared my schedule and registered for it!

I'm hooked!

,BMW K1600 Bagger Wanting to Go! b by Todd Ehrlich, on Flickr

.BMW R9T Ready to Go by Todd Ehrlich, on Flickr

It's a clan gathering. Bring some 'credit' on your credit cards. You'll see stuff U didn't know U needed. U might drink a couple of draft beers TOO!

It Is a Grown-ups' Camp-Out.
    A Good Time Will Be Had...

Ciao, HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen

Free Beer

Quote Originally Posted by DBCasey View Post
    When you get to Lebanon and check into the Rally, be sure to let them know this is your first. You get a free beer!

Welcome to the MOA!
    DC
    The beer thing is just the icing on the cake. You'll realize that you've joined the largest extended family that you're ever going to find!
    Boxerbruce