• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tennessee Welcome Center- Memphis

Ah, that would be too easy for me. I have a bad habit of trying to fit way too much into my trips.

Want to visit the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Sheffield and then do Sun and Stax Records Museums in Memphis.

I actually land in Nashville on the 5th, do the 2-Day Enduro School at the BMW Performance Center in SC on the 7th & 8th, and have every day on either side until the 12th filled with riding back roads, visiting interesting places and sightseeing. Over 1,500 miles of very slow roads over 5-day riding. Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Great Smokey Mountain Loop, Route-64 through Shooting Creek to Helen, GA, etc.

Thanks, the Quality Inn at $66 for the night isn't hard on the budget.

Now that makes some sense. Haven't been to STAX, but have visited SUN & SOUND studios. The AL Music Hall of Fame is also in the area around Sheffield (US72, just west of US43. Address is 617 US-72 W, Tuscumbia, AL 35674. Check to see if it's open.) In Memphis, GRACELAND is on US51, not too far north of Goodman Road (address is 3764 Elvis Presley Blvd, Memphis, TN 38116. EP Blvd is US51).

From B'ham to Muscle Shoals, go north on US65 to exit with AL157. Take AL157 to the Shoals. Don't like the Interstate? Take AL79 North (from I20) to US278. Take US278 to Cullman where you can pick up AL157. GPS can be your friend here. Just remember that I20/I59 is closed for 2 miles through downtown Birmingham. What day will you be at Barber's? I volunteer there, and would be glad to show you around if it works w/my schedule.

Haven't stayed at that Quality, but have stayed at the Hampton Inn across Goodman from the Quality. I've felt safe in the neighborhood, and have done a fair amount of walking on the Hampton Inn side of Goodman.

If I don't see you @ Barber's, enjoy your trip, and maybe we'll cross paths @ the Rally.

I'll second what pappy35 mentions above, in general about airport vicinity, near mid & lower grade motels.

Like a Comfort Inn that's NOT a NEWER build Comfort Inn AND Suites.

No need to attempt rest there... the risk vs reward component is un-favorable.

I always have a look at Trip Advisor under the "most current" reviews for customer experience's.

"travel'n" john

I lived in Memphis for 10 years. I got use to it and feel pretty comfortable anywhere. That said, most people will look upon it as one giant ghetto. Many people think Nashville east when you mention TN, not Nashville west. Three stars in the flag because there are three different states. Hillbilly, country music and ghetto. I know lots of folks who love Memphis, they were all born there. It can be charming in a gritty way, but you have to approach it with the right attitude.

BBQ and food in general is good, but not NY, Chicago, LA, SF or NOLA good. The ribs are OK, but the best ribs are 200 miles north in Murphysboro IL at 17th Street Bar and Grill, they use to come down for Memphis in May and beat everyone one in the rib category.

Stax is a great museum. Shiloh is also a great destination. Personally I did not care for the riding in the Memphis area, I preferred 100 miles or more east or west.

I liked the Meeman Shelby Forest State Park just north or the city, it has a few pretty cool viewing spots for the Mississippi river and you can see a huge amount of Indigo Buntings there.

I pass through there quite often and even though I have lots of friends there I tend to find a hotel east or west of Memphis, you just never know. Of all the sketchy things I have seen in my life 90% of them were in Memphis.

Listen to me carefully, I work at the airport, you do NOT want to stay anywhere near there as a matter of personal safety. That area is drug/prostitute/crime infested (which might be your thing, I don't know :nra) and not where you want to be just to save a few dollars. Trust me on this. Memphis is not like a lot of other cities. That airport serves FedEx and there's not a lot of overnight accommodation in the immediate area like you would find in say Nashville.

There are a cluster of nicer places around exit 16 near the Wolfchase mall or on Hacks Cross off of SR 385 (which loops back up to I-40). I wouldn't leave anything on the bike anywhere around here but I think you would be pretty safe. I lived out of that Holiday Inn Express on Hacks Cross for a month when I moved down here.

Birmingham to Memphis is 3+ hours the wrong way from the rally. Are you planning to do Graceland or something like that? I agree about the Goodman Road area in Southaven.
Thanks, that's the I need. Looks like two strong suggestions for Goodman Road, in the Southaven - Olive Branch area. I might be crazy, but I'm no fool, I'll gratefully take your advice.

Thanks, that's the I need. Looks like two strong suggestions for Goodman Road, in the Southaven - Olive Branch area. I might be crazy, but I'm no fool, I'll gratefully take your advice.

Yeah. You'll be fine down there. It's a little hectic and I still wouldn't leave anything on the bike (like your helmet or strapped-on luggage), but it's quite safe. That and there are a lot a chain restaurants and the like there for convenience. Check out Gus's Fried Chicken. That there's some good eat'in!

Top of the River Restaurant- Movie, TN.

If you are in the Shiloh Battlefield area go to the Catfish Hotel and eat you will be happy you did.

The other day I was in the Pickwick, TN. area; thought I would have dinner at Hagy's Catfish Hotel Restaurant. Found out the restaurant is only open on weekend. I had passed a restaurant about 5 miles west in Michie. I backtracked back to Michie for a catfish dinner. Perfect choice, perfect dinner.
Address 5831 Highway 57E. The intersection of Highway 22 and 57. 731-632-3287. So you meandering BMW riders headed to or from the national rally; this is a good eat stop.:thumb

Catfish

Thanks for info catfish hotel website claims they be open everyday but Monday except Memorial Day and Labor Day when they be open on Monday also.

Another question for the group here.

I have to fly diagonally across the continent (Vancouver, BC) directly from the Rally late morning on the 16th. I'll need to park my RT from the 16th until my return the morning of the 24th.

Wondering if folks familiar with the area felt it would be fine to use the covered parking in the BNA Express Park at the airport for the week or if I should see what a place like Howard's Powersports on Donelson Pike near the airport or one of the BMW Dealers would charge for 8-days storage? My thinking is that BNA Express Park wouldn't be as secure. Perhaps half the cost of a dealership and cabs each way, but, it will be a brand new 2019 RT and I'd really like to return to it and all my gear. ;-)

Thanks for all your help previously with motel suggestions for Memphis.

Storage unit

Could you rent a storage unit everyone seems to have to much stuff and it seems like their are jillion people wanting to rent you a space or put it

Alan: Temporary Storage... The MOA's "A" Book.... the likely solution. Looks for folks offering the Storage letter/code first (in the vicinity of your needs)
otherwise call someone with the Nashville Charter Club. With any BMW Dealer service (oil change?) your likely to get near a week of keep safe.

"travel'n" John

Back