• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Travelling up from Central Florida, camping in Tuskegee

froogle

Hey all,

Yet another newcomer here! I'm riding up from Central Florida (Orlando area) on the Wednesday, and wild camping in Tuskegee National Forest that night before heading into the rally the next day. Just wanted to throw it out there if anyone here is interested in joining me, no matter where you are coming from.

All the best,

Pete

Hi Pete; Welcome to the MOA (or at least the Forum) !

Seems this may be your 1st National by reading your comments... and the fact you'll be arriving at the rally site mid or late afternoon on Thursday.

I suspect you won't find many "takers" for Wednesday camping that far away, because Day 1 of the Rally...
many (most) folks are in town on that Thursday morning.

If rally protocol holds true, Wednesday arrivals for camping on-site will be allowable... so that from morning coffee, we're off and rolling.

I hope you consider volunteering in some capacity during the week. Some assignments are on Monday & Tuesday; allowing very early arrival!

"travel'n" john

Thanks very much for the welcome. Would love to volunteer but unfortunately not this year - time off from work is a little limited hence the riding half way on Wednesday thing. I've actually changed up my plans a little and will be blasting up an horrendous distance from Orlando to Helen GA on the Wednesday and will get in at the Rally around lunchtime Thursday. Hope I don't miss too much.

Thanks very much for the welcome. Would love to volunteer but unfortunately not this year - time off from work is a little limited hence the riding half way on Wednesday thing. I've actually changed up my plans a little and will be blasting up an horrendous distance from Orlando to Helen GA on the Wednesday and will get in at the Rally around lunchtime Thursday. Hope I don't miss too much.

Plenty of time to volunteer for a two hour shift somewhere: registration, gate, oil change, door prize, etc.

Ah good call - I didn't realize that there would still be a need for volunteers on the Thursday but reading some other threads I see that as a newcomer it's a good idea to visit the volunteer station and say hi as it's a great way to meet people as well. So, I'll do just that after pitching the tent.

Thanks for the nudge

Hello Pete from another newbie! You mention Tuskegee National Forest in your first email, but Helen, GA as your Wednesday destination. Did you mean to say that you would be camping in Chattahoochee National Forest? If so, in the Helen area are some great places to camp. You might take a look at the Chattahoochee National Forest campgrounds north of Helen along the river, or perhaps Unicoi State Park. It's a beautiful area!

IMG_0141.jpg

Yes, the plan was originally to ride up from Orlando and camp at Tuskegee, but I've been to Helen before and LOVE that area and the roads around it. So I'm going to push hard to get from Orlando to Low Gap Creek Campground just outside Helen and will be staying there Wednesday night then heading to the Rally on Thursday early morning.

It does indeed look like a beautiful place to camp.

Back