• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 R1200RT Bent Front Fairing Bracket

masegraves

I had a close encounter with a Ford Pickup truck on the left side of my 2006 R1200RT. I was untouched, but... the left mirror was knocked off and the part of the front fairing just in front of the mirror was scraped. It is slight, but the entire front fairing appears to be turned slightly to the right. It looks to be only a few degrees when bike is running straight down the road. My first guess is that the fairing bracket is slightly bent. I'm just wondering how this sort of damage is fixed. Is it always necessary to replace the bracket ($963 from BMW, but less if you find one used), or can the bracket be bent back into shape if it's not too far gone? Photos show orientation of bars to fairing with wheel straight, and with bars turned to full stop left and right. Thanks for your input.

Mark Segraves
Chicago, IL
MOA #214587

IMG_20190328_071659_sml.jpg
IMG_20190328_071734_sml.jpg
IMG_20190328_071819_sml.jpg

Assuming the truck wasn't at fault, if it were me, I'd tear it all apart and try to push it back into shape. It's not that hard to remove the fairing parts though I've never gone so far as to try to remove the support frame. It can be done.

Of course, if the truck was at fault I hope you go their insurance info.

Assuming the truck wasn't at fault, if it were me, I'd tear it all apart and try to push it back into shape. It's not that hard to remove the fairing parts though I've never gone so far as to try to remove the support frame. It can be done.

Of course, if the truck was at fault I hope you go their insurance info.

There is an insurance claim, although the first time around the assessor did not recognize that the fairing had shifted. I may need to take the bike to a service shop to convince the assessor that there is some damage. Even so, I'm wondering if it is necessary to replace the bracket, or if they can be repaired.

I would definitely get them to look at it again. Get the dealer to write it up. I would then collect the check to get whole again and then use it either to buy a new part or pay the dealer to repair the old one and pocket the remaining cash.

There is an insurance claim, although the first time around the assessor did not recognize that the fairing had shifted. I may need to take the bike to a service shop to convince the assessor that there is some damage. Even so, I'm wondering if it is necessary to replace the bracket, or if they can be repaired.

when you have the dealer look at the front frame make sure they thoroughly look at the headlight assembly...year ago last October i had a deer run into the left side while i was riding at about 50mph...bent the frame and that trashed the headlight assembly....all totaled the hit cost $4700....

good luck...:thumb

when you have the dealer look at the front frame make sure they thoroughly look at the headlight assembly...year ago last October i had a deer run into the left side while i was riding at about 50mph...bent the frame and that trashed the headlight assembly....all totaled the hit cost $4700....

good luck...:thumb

Thanks for the heads up on this. That was expensive venison!

Have a reputable dealer do a Full and thorough estimate of the damage and submit it to the insurance co. Everything.

Back