Thread: Keep the belt drive!

Keep the belt drive!

So when do we see a new F850ST/GT?

It looks like perhaps a F850RS model?

Cool The new RS

From what I have gleaned, the RS is a new variant. The quote, “A Diavel killer,” is what BMW is going for in the RS. The concept unit is stunning, the production version less so. (Production RS: front beak is shorter, engine chin spoiler removed, lower rear seat height. But still a looker.)

There is still speculation IF a new GT is coming. Fingers crossed, but who knows. No leaks, or even speculation, that I can find. Could be discontinued?

Did find one reference, ‘to compete with the Tracer GT.’ Perhaps this does mean there is something coming, but nothing confirmed. Chain drive would take it off my short list. Would like to see cruise control, 100bhp and TFT display.

Belt drive is so low maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Belt drive is so low maintenance.
    I've had 5 Harleys and a Buell, all with belt drive. I think they are great -- almost no maintenance -- every time I would check the tightness it hadn't changed.

I guess the 24K service, where the belt and cush drives are replaced, can get a bit expensive.
    2000 K1200RS, 2004 R1100S
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

I love the belt - clean, quiet, low maintenance. Don't understand why BMW didn't use them more, although I do understand the boxer orientation is more favorable to a shaft.
    2014 F800GT Valencia Orange
    2017 R1200RT Carbon Black

From what I've heard regarding the specs of any new GT, even with a slightly more powerful and better-sounding motor the loss of belt drive, the smaller size fuel tank, moving the fuel supply from under the seat to the usual tank position (which raises the center of gravity) and increased weight pretty much ruins the GT for me. And if their target is the Yamaha Tracer, well, of course there is no way the BMW will match the price of the Tracer GT and the Tracer's motor will likely blow the BMW into the weeds in all aspects. So I personally don't think the GT will be a challenger to the Tracer in any sane person's mind.

However, *if* my only choices were the GT or the Tracer then I'd still get the GT over the Tracer for two reasons - the ridiculously small luggage capacity of the Tracer bags (even less than the BMW!), and the ridiculously high seat height of the Tracer which makes the bike totally unusable for my short legs. But in reality I suspect neither will be in my future buying plans.
    jZ
    There is some perverse beauty about being up in the air looking down at your bike during a high-side get-off.