• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Emergency Medical equipment

brownie0486

Anyone carry a med kit full time on their motor?

If so, what kit did you choose, why, and

do you have any medical training? If yes, what sort of professional certs/training?

I carry one when I'm touring, it's not small so I rarely carry it otherwise. I pretty much never think to bring one on day rides etc. It's made by Wilderness Alert which I have no idea if they are still in business. It is reasonably complete to deal with most kinds of issues. Currently I have a 2 day Standard First Aid which I need for work but I used to have a 120 hour level when I was Ski Patrol. Having been there I am not afraid of dealing with serious ****.

not small
i-cnpNq8t-S.jpg

good level of decent supplies
i-jLhGs59-S.jpg

In my opinion, there is no "one kit handles it all" on the market, in terms of what could take up minimal space in motorcycle storage.

Rather than chase a 'brand,' you'd be better off creating your own. Consider what can happen while motorcycle touring:

1. You crash the bike: you and/or your co-rider risk fractures, severe abrasion and abrupt puncturing/lacerations. Presuming your protective gear did not protect all of you, it would be wise to have sterile gauze bandages of various sizes, along with medical-tape to secure them over wounds (along with Polysporin {never Neosporin}) to kill bacteria at the site. Have 2 two-inch straps, each 3 feet in length, along with a sturdy 12" rod, to act as an emergency tourniquet should a compound extremity fracture involve uncontrolled bleeding.

2. Carry a water bottle, not only for emergency hydration, but also to flush contaminants from wounds, eyes and abrasions.

3. Lastly, the 'odds & ends' - regular bandaids of various sizes and shapes, Sting-eze for insect envenomation, scissors, various medications such as Imodium (extreme diarrhea), ibuprophen, an anti-histamine (any OTC allergy medicine), etc.

4. Keep in mind that these are all 'tools.' You must never use them unless you've invested in training first. The best way to manage injuries or illness is to avoid them. Keep your primary cell phone where you can reach it with either arm, and take the previously expired one, charge it up, and place it in the Med Kit. Even without an activated contract, you can dial 911 and get the Sheriff's Office in any county in the USA, and summon help.

5. Wear 'dog tags' (you can make then at any Walmart where they have the machine for … literally a tag for your dog) - list your name, an emergency contact person/number, drug allergies, and DOB.

6. All this can be carried fairly compactly on a bike. Ride ATGATT, ride a route people who care about you know about, and summon EMS immediately after a moderate-to-severe accident - you never know if your injuries are more serious than they appear or if your condition will worsen. Better to dismiss an ambulance you didn't need, rather than wish you had called one sooner.

7. The American Heart Association and the American Red Cross both offer excellent basic first aid courses. Invest a few hours and a few bucks and have confidence in your ability to self-rescue if need be. Learn CPR and how to assist someone who is choking. Be as road-ready as your bike!

In my opinion, there is no "one kit handles it all" on the market, in terms of what could take up minimal space in motorcycle storage.

Rather than chase a 'brand,' you'd be better off creating your own.

This. The best stocked kit available is worthless if it's chock full of items you aren't familiar with. Many of them blend emergency supplies with stuff for boo-boos. I separate them, with bandaids, tweezers, motrin, etc in one small bag stowed in my luggage...and what I call my Oh Crap Kit in plain view. That's my trauma kit. As a former military corpsman and PA what I carry may differ from what someone who has taken a basic first aid course might carry. Tailor the contents to your training and experience.

Pete

I keep a small kit for major injuries on board. It consists of the following items:
1 pair of latex gloves
1 packet of Celox Rapid
1 self applying tourniquet (SoftT)
1 small roll of duct tape
1 heavy 4x6 heavy ziplock type bag to hold it all.

This is the stuff I carry on regular rides or weekend trips. I figure I want to have the stuff for self rescue or for someone else to use in the event of a life threatening injury. I want to be able to self stop the bleeding in the event of a amputation, major laceration or a sucking chest wound (ductape and plastic bag). I have been a cop for 29 years and a first responder.

I have a larger first aid kit with much more items including bandaids and survival items. This kit I keep for when we go on ATV rides. Definitely sign up for first aid classes as it comes in very handy at horrible moments.

a good place to check out kits is http://www.rescue-essentials.com

Jay

Last edited:
I am a firefighter and EMT. I carry a kit I made up myself, mostly of bandaging goods, try to stop the bleeding if possible. I carry 2 pair of nitrile gloves, some 5x9 pads, a good stack of 4x4s, a roll of Kerlex and some tape. I may add to the kit in the future. Maybe a space blanket and some kind of splinting supplies, SAM splint maybe. I know if I'm out and happen upon someone hurt, my first thing would be to call 911, and get trained people with all the equipment there as soon as possible. Even if you have all the training in the world, what you carry may not be enough to handle what you could come across.

I can't agree more with whomever said to be familiar with (and know how to use) whatever you carry.
I am more than a little paranoid (for good reason) and carry one pannier with supplies, to include an emergency first aid kit. In addition to the regular cold/wet weather gear, I have a tool kit, tire plug kit, GS-911, jumpstart battery, and pump.
My first aid kit includes tourniquet (two kinds) trauma dressing, kerlix, trauma shears, CPR mask, clotting gauze, mylar blanket, and some bandaids. I will occasionally add more, but all of my vehicles have a similar basic first-aid kit. At least that much goes hiking with me, in my day pack, too. **** happens.
I'm a longtime firefighter/paramedic, fwiw. That, and four bucks, will get you a good cup of coffee...
Oh, If you're going to use quick clot, or similar, make sure you know how to use it! there are lots of great, free, youtube videos out there, and they can be helpful.

first aid kit

Anyone carry a med kit full time on their motor?

If so, what kit did you choose, why, and

do you have any medical training? If yes, what sort of professional certs/training?

As a retired nurse I suggest getting the best=biggest kit you can afford or store. don,t scrimp. Always get abdominal pads. They are big enough to cover/compress wounds and can staunch blood flow. You do not need to be highly trained to help most people out on the roadside. The Good Samaritan Act in Canada legally protects anyone who renders aid to an injured/sick person. Something is better than inaction in all but a few cases. If it was your child dying would you worry about a lawsuit?

Back