Thread: Plastic Body Panel Tabs/ Clips Breaking on 2018 R1200RT

Plastic Body Panel Tabs/ Clips Breaking on 2018 R1200RT

I was elated to have finished my first DIY project on my new RT. A new horn upgrade with what I thought was good results. When taking off a plastic panel for the next project I found I over torqued the screw clips on the plastic tabs, crushing the brittle plastic to nearly dust. Damn, I should’ve known better. (I will one day learn how to place the bang head emoji here)

Any ideas on how to fix this ? My first thought is to use JB weld to bond and sculpt the metal clip back into place, beefing up the plastic. Not sure if it will bond though. Open to hear your thoughts.

In a short time as a new member, I have come to rely on the experience and wisdom in these forums. Thank you all.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    You are not alone with the tab issue. At the bottom of the page, there is the similar threads pane. You can check those threads for some ideas.
    As far as the emoji, just tap on the one you want- right side of the reply
    You can also tap on the bluish more to see all of the emoji.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I used super glue on mine and, now, I'm more careful when I remove and reinstall them.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.

drgnhtr

Plast Aid

I've used this stuff on assorted plastics with excellent results.

https://www.plast-aid.com/

Quote Originally Posted by drgnhtr View Post
    I've used this stuff on assorted plastics with excellent results.

https://www.plast-aid.com/
    I have used plast-aid with good results. Lately I have been using an epoxy, Wurth Fix All. This stuff is fantastic!
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

JB weld, Plastic Weld
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gride View Post
    I was elated to have finished my first DIY project on my new RT. A new horn upgrade with what I thought was good results. When taking off a plastic panel for the next project I found I over torqued the screw clips on the plastic tabs, crushing the brittle plastic to nearly dust. Damn, I should’ve known better. (I will one day learn how to place the bang head emoji here)

Any ideas on how to fix this ? My first thought is to use JB weld to bond and sculpt the metal clip back into place, beefing up the plastic. Not sure if it will bond though. Open to hear your thoughts.

In a short time as a new member, I have come to rely on the experience and wisdom in these forums. Thank you all.
    It's not entirely "you". The dealer broke a tab on one of my lowers on my fiorst service (and said nothing to me about it). He may or may not have also broken one on the dash area (they replaced the panel). The lower was never totally fixed- he finally used an unshouldered screw to keep the tab pushed into the hardware. That is, the new panel tab kept popping out of the hole till he altered the way the nearby screw held. Anyway- there's gotta be a better way- this popped up regularly on my F6B forum too. Poppit bead tupperware- without the durability of the kiddie-toy poppit beads LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    It's not entirely "you". The dealer broke a tab on one of my lowers on my fiorst service (and said nothing to me about it). He may or may not have also broken one on the dash area (they replaced the panel). The lower was never totally fixed- he finally used an unshouldered screw to keep the tab pushed into the hardware. That is, the new panel tab kept popping out of the hole till he altered the way the nearby screw held. Anyway- there's gotta be a better way- this popped up regularly on my F6B forum too. Poppit bead tupperware- without the durability of the kiddie-toy poppit beads LOL
    The dealer broke the infamous side panel upper tabs off my '16 RT on one side when I took it in for the 600m service. The sad irony is: I asked him to show me how to do it so I don't break the tabs off myself having read about how easy it is to break their necks. He clearly forgot what he was doing because the first thing he did was push the push-pin into the receiving grommet, then proceeded with the heel of his hand to bang the side directly inwards as if they were to snap into place on the top. People complain about those tabs but they're actually quite strong provided you don't do something stupid--i.e., you understand how they work. I'm amazed at how well all of the screws find their threaded receivers so easily. I made one mistake myself w/ tightening and that was w/ the windscreen retention screws. I followed their 2nM torque spec and have radial cracks about holes extended out over an inch in some spokes. I was told later just barely tighten them.
    Last edited by ncpbmw1953; 07-09-2019 at 02:22 AM.

You may want to look into this 3M product
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_JM/collisio...r-and-rebuild/
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key