Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life

I bought one of these battery testers 3 years ago and have been amazed at how well it works. I test all my batteries yearly. You can tell when one is getting weak a long time before it gets to 'failure' point. No need to do traditional carbon pile testing. It gives you the CCA for various types of batteries. Tests alternator output too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZFNJ6Y..._t1_B0015PI7A4

Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

Mehrten
    The battery on our 2016 R1200RS (bought new in June 2015) crapped out this week, 23 March 2019.

There was one sticker on the battery, the BMW OEM sticker with part numbers, cca, voltage, etc.

No other reference number, date or brand name anywhere on the battery. A small recycle symbol on the bottom, that was all.

The local Honda shop matched it exactly with a DEKA ETX14, right down to the same recycle symbol in the same location - $105.00.

I keep four batteries on trickle chargers (three motorcycles and one car). I currently use DieHard chargers that are wi-fi enabled. I can see the status of the battery on my smart phone.

My luck with batteries has been very good over the years with battery life in the 7 to 8 year range. This is the first battery we've had that didn't go past 5 years in along time.

My old battery had the BMW logo and part number, and Exide as the manufacturer, 16 Ah.
    I replaced it with a Yuasa GYZ16H.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Another Choice

Hi,
    Not my original post, but check out the following if you do decide to replace. A little cheaper and 2 more amp hr rating.

"I recently purchased and installed this battery from batterymart.com. It is nearly identical to the OEM in my 2014 R1200RT. Battery terminals are the same and in the same place. Dimensions are the same. I think that this is a very good replacement for the original. AGM technology and 2 more AH than the stocker. $89.95 delivered to my door! They list it as YTX20CH-BS AGM http://www.batterymart.com/SEARCH.html?q=ytx20ch-bs"

I checked, still the same price, sorry I did not note the original poster. Also Motocross is made by Yuasa.

https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/mo...-battery-.html

Later,
    Norm
    You'll never see America from 30,000 feet or an interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by gloucesterman View Post
    Hi,
    Not my original post, but check out the following if you do decide to replace. A little cheaper and 2 more amp hr rating.

"I recently purchased and installed this battery from batterymart.com. It is nearly identical to the OEM in my 2014 R1200RT. Battery terminals are the same and in the same place. Dimensions are the same. I think that this is a very good replacement for the original. AGM technology and 2 more AH than the stocker. $89.95 delivered to my door! They list it as YTX20CH-BS AGM http://www.batterymart.com/SEARCH.html?q=ytx20ch-bs"

I checked, still the same price, sorry I did not note the original poster. Also Motocross is made by Yuasa.

Later,
    Norm
    + one I got this a while ago. IMHO 16 AH is low for this bike, I think it contribute to shorter life span of the battery.

Jay

I was very shocked when the battery on my 16 RS went dead. I pulled it out and could not believe that it was so small. Got a touch larger battery but I was disappointed I could not get an optima in that size.
    Gator

I just replace them every 3y the cost is so minimal compared to the rest of total operating costs it's worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gloucesterman View Post
    Hi,

Later,
    Norm
    +1 on Motocross by Yuasa. I bought the same battery on March of 2019 to replace the failing factory Exide battery. The factory battery lasted 38 months. I always used a battery tender when not riding. This is the first time I have had a battery fail so early... I usually get 6-8 years.
    2016 R1200RTW 2014 DRZ400S 2013 FJR1300A

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I would expect a "standing" battery to read between 12.4 and 12.7 volts an hour after charging or riding. I expect at least 11.5 v while the starter is cranking. When you simply turn on the key with nothing else a drop below 12v is not alarming.
    Can I pick your brain a bit more (or anyone elseís with insight)?

My 2015 RT has 40k miles and the original battery still. A couple of times over the last few months I have hit the starter button, got nothing, hit it again and she fires right up. Since I am riding from SoCal to TN in June for the MOA rally, I figured I should change it out, but while researching replacement battery reccomendations I came across this thread. I tested mine with a cheapie HF multimeter. My results were:
    12.94 cold for over 24 hours
    14.2 running
    8.9 cranking
    From your post above, it sounds like the cranking number could indicate a problem, but is that typically a battery related problem? Ignition on does fire up a fuse block, led hyperlites and a radar detector if that is relevant at all.
    Thanks
    Chris - 2015 BMW RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / SCBMWRC
    There ain't nothing like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin' in the wind.
    Neil Young

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwroady View Post

My 2015 RT has 40k miles and the original battery still. A couple of times over the last few months I have hit the starter button, got nothing, hit it again and she fires right up. Since I am riding from SoCal to TN in June for the MOA rally, I figured I should change it out, but while researching replacement battery reccomendations I came across this thread. I tested mine with a cheapie HF multimeter. My results were:
    14.2 running
    8.9 cranking
    From your post above, it sounds like the cranking number could indicate a problem, but is that typically a battery related problem? Ignition on does fire up a fuse block, led hyperlites and a radar detector if that is relevant at all.
    Thanks
    I would check the battery terminal cable connections. When I have seen as you describe, the first push of the button microscopically "welds" the connection into being strong allowing the second push of the button to run the starter. A bad connection of the starter button can do (somewhat) the same thing. A bit of contact cleaner (or WD-40) on the starter button may eliminate the button as a problem........or, lead you in a direction.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks OM, I will check both items.
    Chris - 2015 BMW RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / SCBMWRC
    There ain't nothing like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin' in the wind.
    Neil Young

Quote Originally Posted by cwroady View Post

14.2 running
    8.9 cranking
    Thanks
    My take on this is as follows:

1. 12.94 volts after resting for 24 hours indicates the battery is still holding a very good charge.
    2. 14.2 running indicates the charging system is doing its job nicely.
    3. 8.9 volts cranking, particularly if it's simultaneously feeding some extra lights, doesn't sound like the end of the world to me.

All of this makes me think your battery and charging system are probably in pretty good shape.

I'm with Omega Man, the intermittent no-go when trying to start would make me incredibly suspicious of corrosion on the battery terminals/connectors. Double that suspicion if the terminals haven't been inspected and cleaned as necessary for the past four years. They can very easily make the system work/not work/work. A terminal and connector cleaning and application of electrical grease would be my first step.

The very best of luck with it and your upcoming trip!
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

I canít speak for others, in my case having a dead battery on a trip is a real pain in the rear. Change out bike and car batteries every 3 years, knock on wood Iíve never had a trip spoiled because of a dead battery just saying!! I do carry on my bike and cars a antigravity emergency start battery just in case

Jim

I case of doubt, have a battery store or auto parts store do a load test on your battery.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    I case of doubt, have a battery store or auto parts store do a load test on your battery.
    In case of any doubt at all, just replace your four year old battery. In fact I'd recommend replacing it regardless of any testing/cleaning you or the battery store may do. Motorcycle batteries are known to simply die at that age and even earlier. And a good quality, exact fit, battery is easily found for less than $100.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).