Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Battery Life

Battery looked perfect, zero corrosion. I sprayed some Detoxit in the switch housing and have several weeks to see if any problem reoccur. Appreciate the advice gents.
    Chris - 2015 BMW RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / SCBMWRC
    There ain't nothing like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin' in the wind.
    Neil Young

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Let us know. Completed threads help everyone.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Just replaced the original battery on my 2012 RT. I should say that it was failing last September, but I have other bikes and haven't ridden the RT since then.

My approach is if I'm not riding, the charger is attached.

This is typical battery life for me ... yes, in the desert southwest.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    In case of any doubt at all, just replace your four year old battery. In fact I'd recommend replacing it regardless of any testing/cleaning you or the battery store may do. Motorcycle batteries are known to simply die at that age and even earlier. And a good quality, exact fit, battery is easily found for less than $100.
    How would you know the battery is the problem? This is kind of an expensive way of trouble shooting IMO.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    How would you know the battery is the problem? This is kind of an expensive way of trouble shooting IMO.
    If connections are clean and tight and there is a large voltage drop when cranking:

- Batteries do fail every few years.

- Starters usually last 100,000 or more miles before bearing wear causes starter drag. (R1100 early Valeo units with loose magnets excepted.)

Therefore replacing a 4 year old battery is a good investment in almost any event.

Typical AGM batteries usually fail with little notice. Good last start, nothing this try. If you ride mostly where you can get a battery easily then it might pay off to take the risk. If you travel, especially west of the Mississippi on a weekend, then the risk of serious inconvenience is higher.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If connections are clean and tight and there is a large voltage drop when cranking:

- Batteries do fail every few years.

- Starters usually last 100,000 or more miles before bearing wear causes starter drag. (R1100 early Valeo units with loose magnets excepted.)

Therefore replacing a 4 year old battery is a good investment in almost any event.

Typical AGM batteries usually fail with little notice. Good last start, nothing this try. If you ride mostly where you can get a battery easily then it might pay off to take the risk. If you travel, especially west of the Mississippi on a weekend, then the risk of serious inconvenience is higher.
    Still though, most load tests are cheap, or even free if you do end up needing a battery. Why not have it tested and know whether or not that's the actual problem?
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    Still though, most load tests are cheap, or even free if you do end up needing a battery. Why not have it tested and know whether or not that's the actual problem?
    One reason is that at many locations load testers designed for big car and truck batteries are unreliable for small motorcycle batteries. And it is getting worse.

My 1986 K75 came with a 30 ah battery. You could also get the "little" 19 ah battery.
    My 1997 F650 came with that 19 ah battery.
    But Voni's F800S came with a14 ah battery.
    And our G310GSs came with a 9 ah battery.

A load tester designed for a 200 ah or larger battery is not likely to be reliable on these itty bitty batteries. And additionally, unless the person using the tester knows exactly what they are doing on little batteries the load exerted on the battery may well snap an intercell connector as if it were a fuse.

Now, if you happen to have a good battery store in your town or city it may well be worth your while to remove your battery and take it to be tested where if it breaks or is bad you can just buy a replacement. But if you don't have such a store nearby you either have to reinstall the feeble battery or you are out of commission until you mail order a battery or take a trip to get one.

Some folks are 40 blocks from Batteries Plus. I am 250 miles from a decent battery store likely to carry the battery I need - the one that actually fits instead of almost fits.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 05-01-2019 at 02:48 AM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

4 years and 40k miles doesnít leave me a lot of room to complain with needing a replacement, and I know I will catch endless crap from my buddies (who both have changed theirs out with less time on them) if it goes South on our 2 week trip in June so ... iím gonna replace it.

My local Batteries Plus carries the Oddysey PC680 that I have used in my Airheads, but the dimensions look to big. Is there any consensus on what to run in the Wethead RTís or am I bordering on turning this into an oil thread?
    Chris - 2015 BMW RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / SCBMWRC
    There ain't nothing like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin' in the wind.
    Neil Young

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../2015/cyl10001 will take you to a Duracell @ BatteriesPlus that should fit your RTW. About 1/2 the price of the BMW-branded OEM. Check it out. 220 CCH-rated. Fully sealed.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by cwroady View Post
    4 years and 40k miles doesnít leave me a lot of room to complain with needing a replacement, and I know I will catch endless crap from my buddies (who both have changed theirs out with less time on them) if it goes South on our 2 week trip in June so ... iím gonna replace it.

My local Batteries Plus carries the Oddysey PC680 that I have used in my Airheads, but the dimensions look to big. Is there any consensus on what to run in the Wethead RTís or am I bordering on turning this into an oil thread?
    No Odyssey batteries fit the Wethead RT, too bad I used the PC630 in my oilhead too with outstanding service.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    No Odyssey batteries fit the Wethead RT, too bad I used the PC630 in my oilhead too with outstanding service.

Jay
    For what it is worth the 14-BS battery is a very common size. I have seen them at Autozone and once bought one on a Sunday at Walmart in Great Falls, Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    For what it is worth the 14-BS battery is a very common size. I have seen them at Autozone and once bought one on a Sunday at Walmart in Great Falls, Montana.
    Paul: Many thanks for including the battery spec in this comment! It will be useful when replacement time comes.
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

FWIW- my OEM battery in my '10 RT lasted 6 years, keeping it on a maintainer on and off during the non riding months. When it died, it died with one simple click....end of story. Went to Amazon and purchased a Yuasa, seemed to be one of the only options besides a dealer battery. Using the same maint. methods, this one only lasted 2 years ( just long enough to get past the warranty!)
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Odyssey PC680 rocks!

It'll be 6 years old next month and still going strong. Most worthwhile $95 I ever spent on this bike, a 2012 RT. I never use a battery charger/maintainer, but do ride on average at least once a week year round. No other maintenance.

In contrast the BMW OEM batteries I have had fail right on schedule every 3 years. So at half the cost and twice the life that makes the Odyssey about 4x better than the OEM battery.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT