• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Life

charlesodle

How long does a R1200RT battery normally last? I have a 2016 with 91K miles on it and the battery seems to be getting weak. The standing voltage is 11.6 volts after it sits over night. I can't blame that spelling on spell checker.

I would go to the nearest auto parts or hardware store and spend 15 or 20 bucks for a decent digital multi-meter. Then I would check battery voltage standing, key off, and also when hitting the starter button.

That will almost instantly tell you whether you have a bad battery or an installation or wiring problem.

11.6 volt is too low. A good battery should show at around 12.8 volts. I replaced mine after three years, it was showing only 12.2 volts after 24 hours.

yoyota-motors-usa.jpg

1. My experience is that batteries typically last between 3 and 8 years, depending on usage, maintenance, and dumb luck.

2. I agree with PATM that 11.6 volts is way too low. It's just trouble waiting to happen.

3. Before you consign the battery to the recycling pile there are a couple of things worth checking to see if it's the battery, the charing system, or something else.

- Have you looked at the battery? There's a decent chance over three years some corrosion has accumulated on the terminals which is keeping it from getting a good charge. If the terminals are, indeed, corroded I'd suggest cleaning the up and putting the battery on a charger for a while. Take it off the charger, let it sit overnight for the battery to stabilize, and check the voltage again.

- Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should be about 13.5 to 14.7 volts. If it's lower than that, the charging system needs to be checked before you decide one way or the other about the battery.

4. If the terminals are clean, the charging system is working properly, and the battery still won't hold a charge then I'd claim it's time for a new one.

Good luck with it!

As a general battery/starting/troubleshooting aside:

A decent but not expensive digital multimeter is essential to motorcycle ownership. I own several. I keep one in my tool kit when traveling. They can be as cheap as a couple of bucks at Harbor Freight (and free with some deals) or maybe $15 at Autozone or about the same as Ace or True Value or Radio Shack if there is still one around.

I would expect a "standing" battery to read between 12.4 and 12.7 volts an hour after charging or riding. I expect at least 11.5 v while the starter is cranking. When you simply turn on the key with nothing else a drop below 12v is not alarming.

I have had more than one battery show 12.7 volts "standing" but drop to less than one volt with just a tail light bulb attached. This is a broken connector in the battery.

If you see a given voltage, say 12.5v, and then hit the starter button and nothing clicks or groans and the voltage stays about the same it is not the battery. You have a connector or wiring issue.

If you see a huge voltage drop but the battery tests OK at the auto parts store you might have a faulty starter with worn bushing or loose magnets.

I hope this helps troubleshooting.

Paul, I would be interested in your take on Digital Meters. I have several of both kinds from expensive to the almost free throw away kind. I always prefer an analog for my road bike. I think that you can get more info from an Analog. I have always been an airhead guy, however this new RS may change some of my electrical leanings.
Gator

Paul, I would be interested in your take on Digital Meters. I have several of both kinds from expensive to the almost free throw away kind. I always prefer an analog for my road bike. I think that you can get more info from an Analog. I have always been an airhead guy, however this new RS may change some of my electrical leanings.
Gator

I have a few digital multimeters and one analog volt meter. The only thing I can do with the analog meter that I can't do with a digital meter is count pulses like the fault code for the early ABS systems. Each pulse provides a distinct needle movement masked with a digital meter. On the other hand I can measure resistance, DC volts, and AC volts with a digital one. I can also test diodes if I happened to need to.

A DVM is a bit "tougher" than an analog meter - the sweeping needle and the little spring that supports it are easily damaged, either by physical abuse or by over-voltage (applying a voltage significantly higher than the max on that particular scale). I've dropped my freebie Harbor Fright DVM and it still seems to work, but I'd be quite upset if I dropped my Fluke/Wavetek 97...

I've always preferred an analog meter for checking diodes - but you must be careful to NOT use either the "highest" (ex.: x100K) or "lowest" (ex.: x1) resistance range of the meter: the high range may apply way to much voltage to the diode, while the lowest range may allow way to much current to flow through it. Either case will likely destroy the diode, or at least result in a "walking wounded" that will be more difficult to troubleshoot.
(Older Simpson analog VOMs actually had a 32-volt battery!)

A DVM will give you a better idea of the difference in voltage between various operating conditions, and the difference between voltages that are supposed to be the same, as with a suspect wire or ground point.

Paul S

Thanks to Both Pauls for your take on Analog VS. Digital. I will take your comments under advisement. Still don't have a complete tool kit list yet for the RS and part of that is do I really need a meter on the road. What am I going to do except check battery voltage for which which I have a plug in gizmo.
I have always been horrible about having way to much stuff when I go on a long trip. This can save your butt on an airhead but this new wethead doesn't have a lot of stuff you can do on the road.
Gator

Thanks to Both Pauls for your take on Analog VS. Digital. I will take your comments under advisement. Still don't have a complete tool kit list yet for the RS and part of that is do I really need a meter on the road. What am I going to do except check battery voltage for which which I have a plug in gizmo.
I have always been horrible about having way to much stuff when I go on a long trip. This can save your butt on an airhead but this new wethead doesn't have a lot of stuff you can do on the road.
Gator

Most people do not carry a multimeter when on the road. You can buy one at any auto parts store or hardware store or home improvement type store. I have a very small one that is about half the size of my cell phone tucked in the tailcone usually. A small 12v test light is probably as good an option on the road.

If you want a small digital voltmeter to take with you, I have a small unit made by Deltran. It is about the same size as my little finger, and plugs into my SAE pigtail that I use to charge my battery. I've checked it with my in-dash voltmeter, and they read the same. Is either one really accurate? Who knows, but they do give me some peace of mind as to the health of my alternator/battery.

Here's the info:
Battery Tender 081-0157 Quick Disconnect Plug with LCD Voltage Display, One Size, Black

Less than $15 from Amazon

How long does a R1200RT battery normally last? I have a 2016 with 91K miles on it and the battery seems to be getting weak. The standing voltage is 11.6 volts after it sits over night. I can't blame that spelling on spell checker.

Charles
Do you really want to be stuck somewhere with a bad battery? Put a new battery in and be done with it
I got mine from Rocky Mountain Motorsport for less than $100 including shipping

I bought one of these battery testers 3 years ago and have been amazed at how well it works. I test all my batteries yearly. You can tell when one is getting weak a long time before it gets to 'failure' point. No need to do traditional carbon pile testing. It gives you the CCA for various types of batteries. Tests alternator output too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZFNJ6Y/ref=psdc_15707371_t1_B0015PI7A4

416%2BUe1xIgL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

The battery on our 2016 R1200RS (bought new in June 2015) crapped out this week, 23 March 2019.

There was one sticker on the battery, the BMW OEM sticker with part numbers, cca, voltage, etc.

No other reference number, date or brand name anywhere on the battery. A small recycle symbol on the bottom, that was all.

The local Honda shop matched it exactly with a DEKA ETX14, right down to the same recycle symbol in the same location - $105.00.

I keep four batteries on trickle chargers (three motorcycles and one car). I currently use DieHard chargers that are wi-fi enabled. I can see the status of the battery on my smart phone.

My luck with batteries has been very good over the years with battery life in the 7 to 8 year range. This is the first battery we've had that didn't go past 5 years in along time.

Another Choice

Hi,
Not my original post, but check out the following if you do decide to replace. A little cheaper and 2 more amp hr rating.

"I recently purchased and installed this battery from batterymart.com. It is nearly identical to the OEM in my 2014 R1200RT. Battery terminals are the same and in the same place. Dimensions are the same. I think that this is a very good replacement for the original. AGM technology and 2 more AH than the stocker. $89.95 delivered to my door! They list it as YTX20CH-BS AGM http://www.batterymart.com/SEARCH.html?q=ytx20ch-bs"

I checked, still the same price, sorry I did not note the original poster. Also Motocross is made by Yuasa.

https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/motocross-vs-yuasa-which-is-the-better-motorcycle-battery-.html

Later,
Norm

Hi,
Not my original post, but check out the following if you do decide to replace. A little cheaper and 2 more amp hr rating.

"I recently purchased and installed this battery from batterymart.com. It is nearly identical to the OEM in my 2014 R1200RT. Battery terminals are the same and in the same place. Dimensions are the same. I think that this is a very good replacement for the original. AGM technology and 2 more AH than the stocker. $89.95 delivered to my door! They list it as YTX20CH-BS AGM http://www.batterymart.com/SEARCH.html?q=ytx20ch-bs"

I checked, still the same price, sorry I did not note the original poster. Also Motocross is made by Yuasa.

https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/motocross-vs-yuasa-which-is-the-better-motorcycle-battery-.html

Later,
Norm

+ one I got this a while ago. IMHO 16 AH is low for this bike, I think it contribute to shorter life span of the battery.

Jay

Back