• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT - Pannier strap locations

jrmull

Hi, I removed all my Pannier straps to clean them, but forgot to get a picture beforehand.

Can anyone share a picture of the correct setup? I have straps going top to bottom and then a third one not knowing what to do with the clips.

The straps themselves are not very functional. Any suggestions on adding support in there?

Thanks

Attachments

• strapes2s.jpg
    strapes2s.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 45
  • strapes1s.jpg
    strapes1s.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 43
Looks like you’re short one strap and have one misplaced. There are 4 straps per bag. Each half of the bag has one plain strap running top to bottom, and a second strap running top to bottom with a clip sliding on the strap. The straps in each half clip together using the clip in that half of the bag. Your photo and description seem to indicate that you have only 3 straps.

The straps do tend to get stretched out with use, but they are easily replaced.

Best,
DG

I found another one on my bench. I have 4 straps per bag. So now I have two straps top to bottom with a clip on one of them, then X the two. That tightens up the straps. But no clue what the other two in each bag will do. So far not needed. Or maybe I double up top to bottom?

See new configuration, with the extras on the bench. I have to find a couple missing retainer pins. They are somewhere.

I have 4 extra straps and 2 extra clips to find a purpose in.

Thanks for the assistance. John

Attachments

• straps4.jpg
    straps4.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 43
  • strapb2.jpg
    strapb2.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 43
  • strap2b.jpg
    strap2b.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 42
John,

I think DG is saying that two straps go on the lid and two straps go on the inner half of each bag. That way when you open the bag your stuff is retained in each half. 2 bags = 4 halves = 8 straps

The quickest way to kill the elastic in any saddlebag straps is to constantly leave them clipped together when they aren't retaining anything.

:dance:dance:dance

All fixed now. I forgot about the painted side needing the other two straps. Thanks for the assist.

john

Back