• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

trip reset cable

jnrugg

I have a 2002 1150RT and have the instrument cluster almost out to replace the bulbs with LED.
The one thing kind of holding me back is the trip reset cable in the speedo.
I have the plastic piece unscrewed but does the cable just pull out? I didn't want to force it.
When I put it back together should I lube the cable? I have found posts on the MOA site for lubing the speedo and cable and everything else.
I am trying not to be ham fisted.

Many thanks!!!!

I have a 2003 R1150RT. When I took the instrument cluster out to check/replace bulbs I didn't need to disconnect the reset cable. The knob end of the cable mounts on the instrument panel between the gauges, the same panel into which the speedometer is attached. You should be able to just pull the whole unit out. Unless the '02 is vastly different from the '03, in which case please pardon the interruption.

Taking it out of the panel first did the trick. The speedo practically threw itself at me afterwards.
One more question, is there any issue with replacing the lower panel bulbs with LED? The neutral light, hi beam, etc.
I read somewhere not to replace one of them but can't find the thread, it may have also been for an 1100RT.
So far nothing broken hope all the pieces go back together.

Taking it out of the panel first did the trick. The speedo practically threw itself at me afterwards.
One more question, is there any issue with replacing the lower panel bulbs with LED? The neutral light, hi beam, etc.
I read somewhere not to replace one of them but can't find the thread, it may have also been for an 1100RT.
So far nothing broken hope all the pieces go back together.

Lots have been replaced with LED. Some have gone as far as changing to Red, Blue etc.
ADV riders has a long thread on the subject

Back