• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Vario panniers vs Lone Rider [ LR ] semi-rigid panniers

brownie0486

I touched base with Andrew on weight of the LR panniers and racks.

The racks for my GS 1200 weigh 3.5#' per. The LR bags weight 13# each. Bringing the total weight of racks and panniers to 33#'s.

Just weighed the BMW Vario cases. One is 13#'s, the other 14.5#'s.

The LR's are capable of accepting 30#'s each in gear stored within. The Varios are rated for 22#'s each. Giving me 16#'s of added gear in the panniers over the Vario cases. On top of that, the varios were stuffed at 17#'s each of gear on the trip to Ak. and the LR's would have even more room to store gear even after the 30#'s were loaded in each.

Going to the LR's will allow for disposing of one of the dry bags strapped to the seat, back rack area. Less wind drag, more or the same weight of gear stored lower.

What panniers are you running on your GS1200, and what's the weight of your chosen panniers and racks? What are their weight ratings for each side?

Back