Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I know I'm getting OLD.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    Unless I missed it, the OP was referring to the kid as a he.
    RPGR90s

I love just about all things related to a motorcycle as long as it isn't obnoxious or unnecessarily loud (same thing), but I swear the neighbors kid and his ATV 4-wheeler is driving me crazy. Their house is probably 200 yards adjacent to ours and across the road with a fairly large yard (about a little less than 3 acres). The ATV doesn't run properly & goes dead every time he cuts the throttle. Round and around and around and around their house, across their yard non stop, except when it goes dead, then here he goes again. Also, it isn't super loud, but not quite either. This kid has literally ridden non stop since 3:00 pm this evening, and is still at it now even though it is dark. I am starting to really wish he would hit a tree or something just so it would STOP! They aren't bad neighbors & the kids are really good kids, especially for these days. He is just at that age where they do that, but I don't know how much louder I can stand turning up my TV Does anyone else find that excessive noise bothers you, or am I just too sensitive? Heck, I ride a motorcycle, love motorcycle racing, and ride a 4 wheeler myself
    Yep! You missed the point. I responded to the immediate preceding post calling the OP a "cool old guy" when in fact Gail is a young gal.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

OMG, just came across this thread. I have called myself , noise sensitive for years now..
    My blood pressure jumps right up when cars come by the house with their s**t (music) is so loud every thing starts vibrating a block away !!
    The other is V twins that are just stupid loud..
    Thanks for listening, or reading that is.
    Ride Well, Mark
    BMWMOA #215490, BMWRA #44275
    2016 BMW R1200RS,2013 KTM 250 XCFW
    some previous bikes, 2014 Suzuki 1000 V Strom, KTM SMT 990, Suzuki DR650, Triumph ST1050

Quote Originally Posted by bart802 View Post
    OMG, just came across this thread. I have called myself , noise sensitive for years now..
    My blood pressure jumps right up when cars come by the house with their s**t (music) is so loud every thing starts vibrating a block away !!
    I live on a two lane Texas highway 53 miles out of town and 30 miles north of a National Park. Since virtually all land in Texas is private except for a couple of National parks, little bits of Corps of Engineers beach front, and a few state parks, we do not have much of an ATV issue. But we do get noise from the highway. The road is a rough chip seal so pickups with 10 ply tires are noisy and even a Prius can be heard. But the 10 or 20 cruiser bikes headed to Big Bend National Park in a convoy with their sag wagons can be a real pain. The speed limit is 70. And I can often hear them for three minutes meaning more than three miles as they rumble southbound. No huge deal, but I do think I would like sound meters at the park entry points. That would never make them use real mufflers, but they would be less likely to stream to the park once it became known that they had sound meters at the gates. If the Iron Butt Rally can test muffler noise, so can the National Park Service if they want to.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    Your story puts you more in league with the car driver who wrecked the motorcycle, than the motorcyclist
    Amen to that! As a bicyclist, I encounter cagers who don't believe bikes belong on the road. Some will even intentionally come over to the shoulder to scare me. In Michigan, we just got a new law requiring 3 ft. clearance between bikes and motorists. We have as much right on the road as a motorist. I'm sure that poster gets pissed when a cager tries to run him off the road. Bob_M, you said it much more eloquently, but I say he's a hypocrite. I don't care how old or cranky he is. There, I said it.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bart802 View Post
    Sometimes when I have the wood stove running and a vehicle with mega-bass thumping hard comes down the road ......it makes me think I have a chimney fire
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

"Can We All Just Get Along" Rodney King

Your story puts you more in league with the car driver who wrecked the motorcycle, than the motorcyclist
    +2

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449

Learn to read.....the story was what is wanted to happen with my puppies and I surely would not allow them to get hurt. Read how the bicycle people are not only a nuisance but a hazard by the way they "take over the road". Actually, I dont see how they have any "right" to be on a public road as they dont pay any taxes to be there.....Now, learn to read and then run your thoughts into what isn't there....I truly dont want my puppies hurt by what might happen.....lol....Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebriar View Post
    but I say he's a hypocrite. I don't care how old or cranky he is. There, I said it.

And I say you dont know how to read and twist what is said to suit your needs...…..There I said it.....lol.....this is a great thread....old and cranky indeed!!!

Are you actually saying that when approached by a car, who honks perhaps 200 yards behind and then again at 50 yards, that the bicycle is in the right by moving to the center of the road so that the car cannot get by. Or that a group of 3 or more instead of going into single file spreads out even more to take over the entire lane or even the road??? These are tactics taken by a certain group of Atlanta bicycle rights folks who come up to "enforce" their rights. Yes, Mr. Bicycle, defend these people, while I daydream a bit as to what I could do; but would never dream of doing...…..Learn to read Sir.....Old and cranky indeed...……..
    Last edited by DennisDarrow; 03-30-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    ..."One thing I have found totally effective is to let my Anatolian pasture guard dogs out on Saturday and Sunday mornings that they have events. I did this one time because..........God bless....Dennis"
    Saying the you did this makes it easy to assume you did this

FWIW, there are inconsiderate A-holes with every transportation mode including bicycles and motorcycles. Here in Portland a street car rider killed two people a couple of years ago (for standing up to a hater who was yelling at a woman in a head scarf). Exacting revenge for being inconvenienced is sometimes called road rage and that is not what Jesus would do

One thing I have found totally effective is to let my Anatolian pasture guard dogs out on Saturday and Sunday mornings that they have events. I did this one time because I value these dogs to much to let them run loose because of getting hurt; but....These dogs stand waist high to me at the shoulder and hate bicycles because they chase them down the 1/4 mile fence line for years and never get to get them. HIGHLY FRUSTATED.....lol.....I stood with 2 of them at the beginning of my driveway at the property line on the road. HERE they came and golly, I just couldn't hold the puppies back....Needless to say the resulting tangled bicycles with the dogs claiming victory over moving parts brought years of frustration to an end.............YES I JUST DREAM ABOUT DOING THIS......Do I care about the 2 wheelers???....NO....
    Wow
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Just The Facts

Actually, I dont see how they have any "right" to be on a public road as they dont pay any taxes to be there......
    The Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) is not the Georgia Department of Motorized Transportation. As such (as in other states) they have responsibility for administering programs for bicyclist and pedestrians on or about the roadways thru the TAP funding (Transportation Alternative Program) http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/Fu...ndGuidance.pdf . Some states are better than others at this and the program deals with widening shoulders, building separate pathways and non-motorized lanes and streetscapes. We just used the fund, and other monies, to build a non-motorized bridge across I-75. Its all very much stuff they have been doing in Michigan, and other states, for the last 20 years.

I am not much of a bicyclist but a look back in history https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-way-for-roads shows that it was the bicycle groups that lobbied to get the roads paved. It was not the cage drivers.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449

YES I JUST DREAM ABOUT DOING THIS:
    OK, I see you were just dreaming about doing it. Missed that the first time around. You're still pretty dangerous with your thoughts.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Steve, Wayne, Bob, and sorry to say it, even Lee......Those winter cold days have hit you fellas pretty heavy.....Sorry to offend your millennial feelings. Seems that if YOU have ANYTHING that bothers you and you let it out, you become a hater, looser, and oh so many of the other things that the politically correct stand up and shout that they are offended about and of course "RIGHT". Again, sorry to have hurt your oh so minimal feelings. May you NOT smother in your bowl of grits as you kiss them...…….lol.....lighten up, for the cardiac suffers among you...….Dennis...…...and YES.....God bless

Maybe a discussion to be had over in The Great Outdoors in the bicycle thread

I, like Gail, am still dealing with clueless four wheelers and I don't want that one seeing the inside of our shop. Tweeking behavior will self correct as it has out here in the past, by law or by addictive behaviors ugly consequences.

We have 20+ items I pay road taxes(license plates), buy a lot of fuel for some of those items and a few that do not go on road...But the tax covers road use. and a few that get used sparingly...I pay my share.

If the state required bicycle registration, I would comply, though the downside is every kid learning to ride would have one more challenge they may not be able to afford.

Yes, some boneheads in every group of road users and a lot of bad information as well. Can't change opinions, but try to when challenged. Riding two-three abreast on a public road that isn't closed for an event is not acceptable. TX law allows two side by side if it does not impede traffic...which to me means there's no traffic coming up behind you...When there is, move over as safely possible to a single line...simple concept we do regularly. Honking...if it's a toot, fine, if its a blast to me it's different and I may wave at you differently depending on your next move

I got buzzed by a city owned utility truck while on a ten foot wide shoulder one evening...it was on purpose.I know this because one of my service truck lead lineman was bragging the next morning about making cyclists scatter...when asked where, he pinpointed my location. Needless to say, he lost the lead position and soon retired. He could have killed someone with the mirrors alone on those service trucks at 55MPH. Not cool.

I have been riding since the first hand me down tricycle...making it around 60 years of age with a bicycle or two. I try my best to respect other road users, thinking it will be returned. Sometimes it is not. Share the road works when everyone accepts the premise.

And on cardiac events...riding helps more than it hurts
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Steve, I am one right there with YOU. Even worse, I ride my 4 hooved critters right out there where it is allowed. Am I dumb enough to try to go where it is dangerous for my animal, myself, or, the vehicles that surround me???......Of course not....Am I rude enough to actually try to make others stop when it causes me become agitated???.....HARDLY???...

I WONDER, if the folks on motorcycles who zoom over as close as they can to my innocent animal, as I ride far from the shoulder as I can, even though I am allowed on the road itself, know how dangerous it is not only for the animal; but for them as they SPOOK the critter???....Hope some folks can actually take a joke......Thanks for your thoughts Steve.....Dennis