• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I know I'm getting OLD.

Just The Facts

Actually, I dont see how they have any "right" to be on a public road as they dont pay any taxes to be there...…...

The Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) is not the Georgia Department of Motorized Transportation. As such (as in other states) they have responsibility for administering programs for bicyclist and pedestrians on or about the roadways thru the TAP funding (Transportation Alternative Program) http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/Funding/Documents/TAP/TAPApplicationandGuidance.pdf . Some states are better than others at this and the program deals with widening shoulders, building separate pathways and non-motorized lanes and streetscapes. We just used the fund, and other monies, to build a non-motorized bridge across I-75. Its all very much stuff they have been doing in Michigan, and other states, for the last 20 years.

I am not much of a bicyclist but a look back in history https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/15/cyclists-paved-way-for-roads shows that it was the bicycle groups that lobbied to get the roads paved. It was not the cage drivers.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Steve, Wayne, Bob, and sorry to say it, even Lee......Those winter cold days have hit you fellas pretty heavy.....Sorry to offend your millennial feelings. Seems that if YOU have ANYTHING that bothers you and you let it out, you become a hater, looser, and oh so many of the other things that the politically correct stand up and shout that they are offended about and of course "RIGHT". Again, sorry to have hurt your oh so minimal feelings. May you NOT smother in your bowl of grits as you kiss them...…….lol.....lighten up, for the cardiac suffers among you...….Dennis...…...and YES.....God bless

Maybe a discussion to be had over in The Great Outdoors in the bicycle thread:wave

I, like Gail, am still dealing with clueless four wheelers and I don't want that one seeing the inside of our shop. Tweeking behavior will self correct as it has out here in the past, by law or by addictive behaviors ugly consequences.

We have 20+ items I pay road taxes(license plates), buy a lot of fuel for some of those items and a few that do not go on road...But the tax covers road use. and a few that get used sparingly...I pay my share.

If the state required bicycle registration, I would comply, though the downside is every kid learning to ride would have one more challenge they may not be able to afford.

Yes, some boneheads in every group of road users and a lot of bad information as well. Can't change opinions, but try to when challenged. Riding two-three abreast on a public road that isn't closed for an event is not acceptable. TX law allows two side by side if it does not impede traffic...which to me means there's no traffic coming up behind you...When there is, move over as safely possible to a single line...simple concept we do regularly. Honking...if it's a toot, fine, if its a blast to me it's different and I may wave at you differently depending on your next move :whistle

I got buzzed by a city owned utility truck while on a ten foot wide shoulder one evening...it was on purpose.I know this because one of my service truck lead lineman was bragging the next morning about making cyclists scatter...when asked where, he pinpointed my location. Needless to say, he lost the lead position and soon retired. He could have killed someone with the mirrors alone on those service trucks at 55MPH. Not cool.

I have been riding since the first hand me down tricycle...making it around 60 years of age with a bicycle or two. I try my best to respect other road users, thinking it will be returned. Sometimes it is not. Share the road works when everyone accepts the premise.

And on cardiac events...riding helps more than it hurts:thumb

Steve, I am one right there with YOU. Even worse, I ride my 4 hooved critters right out there where it is allowed. Am I dumb enough to try to go where it is dangerous for my animal, myself, or, the vehicles that surround me???...…...Of course not....Am I rude enough to actually try to make others stop when it causes me become agitated???.....HARDLY???...……

I WONDER, if the folks on motorcycles who zoom over as close as they can to my innocent animal, as I ride far from the shoulder as I can, even though I am allowed on the road itself, know how dangerous it is not only for the animal; but for them as they SPOOK the critter???...….Hope some folks can actually take a joke...…………...Thanks for your thoughts Steve...…..Dennis

Maybe a discussion to be had over in The Great Outdoors in the bicycle thread:wave
:thumb

I disagree. The bicycle thread would be an echo chamber of agreement. Here with a more diverse reader group whose general interests include road safety, is a better place to have this discussion. Like the internet everywhere, one can not expect to use this forum to change opinions.

Having been summarily dismissed as a millennial delicate snowflake (at the tender age of 65!) I find this posting in ScienceDirect to be uniquely relevant.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1369847818308593?via=ihub

I disagree. The bicycle thread would be an echo chamber of agreement. Here with a more diverse reader group whose general interests include road safety, is a better place to have this discussion. Like the internet everywhere, one can not expect to use this forum to change opinions.

I guess my point was the OP was talking about annoying things we deal with as we age, some we were probably doing when we were younger. As threads do, it took a turn on the cycling issue. Folks here never shy away from reading threads that aren't necessarily in their wheelhouse and commenting:whistle

The issues the rest of road users like bicycles and even our common interest in motorcycles deal with seemed to be a different topic.

And reading the article had me thinking about that in the past...often times some of the foes of cycling never gave it a shot from my interactions and discussions and dismissed it as a childrens activity I should have outgrown way before my 62nd birthday. I will listen to them, but usually just smile and move on. My doctor,wife,and I know the value with health and mental benefits.
I get that while riding motorcycles as well when an even older person side eyes me at a stop and makes a snide comment.
Time for a three hour ride...on a pedal bike:wave

Exacting revenge for being inconvenienced is sometimes called road rage . . .
My road philosophy, be it in my truck or on my bike, is two-fold: (1) Ignore something that won't matter 15 minutes from now and will most likely be forgotten by tomorrow. In order words, don't sweat the little things. And (2) my father told me never to look for trouble because trouble will find you often enough in life.

My road philosophy, be it in my truck or on my bike, is two-fold: (1) Ignore something that won't matter 15 minutes from now and will most likely be forgotten by tomorrow. In order words, don't sweat the little things. And (2) my father told me never to look for trouble because trouble will find you often enough in life.

Your father was an optimist.

Like.gif

That's the biggest LIKE I've ever received. Thank you. :thumb

But maybe undeserved. The advice my father gave was spot-on I think, but I've failed to remember it on several occasions over the years. Furthermore, I can remember times where he forgot it also. :)

But maybe undeserved. The advice my father gave was spot-on I think, but I've failed to remember it on several occasions over the years.

But it's a good thing if you remember it most of the time.

Back in 1974 me and my friend (current wife) are on I-80 in my 61 Chevy with a straight 6 when a semi gets too close to my rear.
I flip him off and take off. Turns out a semi has a similar top speed as a 6 cyl Chevy :(
Without getting excited or mad Debbie looks over and tells me flipping off a much larger vehicle is not a smart thing to do.

But it's a good thing if you remember it most of the time.

Back in 1974 me and my friend (current wife) are on I-80 in my 61 Chevy with a straight 6 when a semi gets too close to my rear.
I flip him off and take off. Turns out a semi has a similar top speed as a 6 cyl Chevy :(
Without getting excited or mad Debbie looks over and tells me flipping off a much larger vehicle is not a smart thing to do.
That's the problem. You just never know who you're dealing with out on the road. It could be a nice easy-going guy who wasn't paying attention or it could be a psychopathic murderer on the run. You just don't know.

I also look at it this way . . . Maybe someday the a-hole that's driving like an a$$hat will meet up with his alter-ego on the road and they will both eliminate each other. Not likely, but I can hope.

Last edited:
My observation has been a “reaction” is most frequently seen as the first thing that happened.......when it’s the second. My time machine is on the fritz.
om

My observation has been a “reaction” is most frequently seen as the first thing that happened.......when it’s the second. My time machine is on the fritz.
om
A good reason not to react. It's the "Two wrongs don't make a right" saying.

Wow, bumper sticker philosophy at its best. And I'm the biggest contributor . . . :banghead

Back