• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 K75 Lock cylinder

guaire

Yesterday I fired up the K for the first ride of what is turning into Spring in northern VA.
I tried opening the right side saddle case. The whole cylinder came out. The same key operates ignition and all the locks. My question is, what can I do about this cylinder, walking out of its housing? And how do I keep the same key settings on the cylinder?
Here's a pair of pics to show the horror.

Attachments

• Right Case 63.jpg
    Right Case 63.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Lock Cylinder 62.jpg
    Lock Cylinder 62.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 176
Locks

There should be a flat tab sticking out at the bottom of the assembly. It is spring loaded. If that tab is there then just insert the assembly back into the hole all the way. You'll have to line up that tab with a slot in the hole by rotating the key. Once the lock is completely inserted, rotate it until that tab locks into a corresponding slot. It should stop rotating at this point. Turn the key itself and remove it in the normal manner. The purpose of the tab is to index the lock and keep it from pulling out.
You'll find a slot or hole in the latch itself where you can insert a small pin to depress that tab to rotate and remove the lock assembly.
If there is no tab sticking out then you can buy a "universal" lock assembly that comes with enough pins and springs to match the lock to your existing key.

There should be a flat tab sticking out at the bottom of the assembly. It is spring loaded. If that tab is there then just insert the assembly back into the hole all the way. You'll have to line up that tab with a slot in the hole by rotating the key. Once the lock is completely inserted, rotate it until that tab locks into a corresponding slot. It should stop rotating at this point. Turn the key itself and remove it in the normal manner. The purpose of the tab is to index the lock and keep it from pulling out.
You'll find a slot or hole in the latch itself where you can insert a small pin to depress that tab to rotate and remove the lock assembly.
If there is no tab sticking out then you can buy a "universal" lock assembly that comes with enough pins and springs to match the lock to your existing key.

Agree to this and add, quite often that last locking wafer gets bent out of shape from the lock being forced passed it's stop. Lots of times they fall out and end up just sitting on the top of the saddle bag. They can be straightened out and reused. After inserting back in it's slot it needs to be peened to keep the spring from pushing it all the way back out. If i remember correctly, there is a little step on the wafer that will bump into the peen. I think at least 4 of mine did the same thing, kind of a fragile lock set, not for the ham handed.

The bottom tab on mine is missing. I'll look into the case's hole and see if it's hiding in there.
Otherwise, I will need another lock.

The bottom tab on mine is missing. I'll look into the case's hole and see if it's hiding in there.
Otherwise, I will need another lock.

Do look carefully on the bag, around the area of the lock, if they (the bags) are still mounted to the bike.. When the locking wafer falls all the way out, that's where it sits. I found all of mine and rehabed them. Good luck.

Chunk - I went hunting this morning for the lost tab. When I opened the case, it was sitting in the middle of the bending latch. I bent it back from a 90 degree bend. Still didn't lock into place. But, the latch works. For now I'll live with it.
Got quote from Bob's BMW. $43.28 for one cylinder and two keys. $94.81 for all six locks.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

Are you saying that the tab does not stay in place, or that with the tab installed, the lock cylinder does not stay in place?

If it is the latter, does the tab freely spring up when compressed all the way in? Was the cylinder inserted ALL THE WAY IN and then turned counterclockwise until it stopped and then back clockwise when you installed it? If both of those are the case, it USUALLY works OK.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Bill,

Are you saying that the tab does not stay in place, or that with the tab installed, the lock cylinder does not stay in place?

If it is the latter, does the tab freely spring up when compressed all the way in? Was the cylinder inserted ALL THE WAY IN and then turned counterclockwise until it stopped and then back clockwise when you installed it? If both of those are the case, it USUALLY works OK.:dunno

Lee - It isn't 'spring -y'.
Bill

Bill,

Is the coil spring still in the round hole net to the tab slot?

If so, chances are the tab is bent. Let me know and I'll show you what it's supposed to look like and how to straighten it.

Last edited:
Lee - I didn't see a coil spring. The tab had a 90 degree bend. I softly tapped it flat with my camera repair hammer. I inserted it into the cylinder.
Bill

Bill,

I'll post a picture in a bit of what the tab should look like. They often are not only not flat, but can get a sideways bend to them that makes them jam in the slot.

Bill,

Here's what the tab should look like. The one one the left (with the broken off leg) shows the typical bend of the leg that is the result of over aggressive turning of the lock against its stop. This will result in the sticking of the tab in the slot. The one on the right is an unbent tab. To straighten, just hold the top section in a vise or a pair of pliers and gently bend the legs with another pair of pliers. Then test in the slot to insure that it slides freely. Usually best to do this without the spring in place so you can judge any drag.

P1020124.jpg

After you are sure that it slides freely, reinstall the spring and the tab. Then carefully hold the cylinder in a vise, compressing the tabs and restake the hole so that the tab does not come out. A 1/4" blade screwdriver and a rap with a hammer works well. Tap towards the hole so that the top of the hole gets closed up slightly. Just enough so that the tab stops coming out but still protrudes and retracts smoothly. Remember, the key should have no effect on this tab.

P1020125.jpg

I'll take more pictures soon to verify the directions.

I'm busy baby sitting. The wife is recovering after neck/back surgery.

Thanks,
Bill

I got the lock cylinder back in and it's working.

Thanks, Chunk and 98Lee.

Without the spring and the pics I wouldn't have had any idea what I needed to do.
I did not re stake the hole, but the key and cylinder are working again.
I got out for a short ride today. It's good to get acquainted again with the big triple. Glad I got out.

Cheers,
Bill G

Back