Thread: 2003 K1200RS Shift lever bolt size

2003 K1200RS Shift lever bolt size

Anyone happen to know what the bolt size is for the bolt that holds the shift lever on? The lever fell off on me last night while riding and while I found the lever I couldn't find the bolt.

This lever has been extended, so not sure if that changes the size of the bolt I need. Based on the one that connects the original lever to the extension I am guessing it is a 6mmx20mm cap allen bolt. I wouldn't think the bolt would take much force and I can tell it should be torqued from the service manual to 8 Newton Meters so I am guessing I don't need anything special bolt wise.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have 2003 K1200GT and could take a picture of it, should the GT and RS be similar shifter. Do you have a picture of your shifter?
    2003 K1200GT

My shifter has a 20mm Allen headed. See pictures to see if it helps you. I don't know the thread count. A common hardware stores, they only have two sized like Lowes and HomeDepo. But I would check there for a screw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 K1200GT

06 Fillister-head screw M6X16-8.8-ZNS3 1 07119906392

Is the part on:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=23_0288

Good luck.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
    I have 2003 K1200GT and could take a picture of it, should the GT and RS be similar shifter. Do you have a picture of your shifter?
    Here is a picture of the shifter...

IMG_2199.jpg

My shifter has a 20mm Allen headed. See pictures to see if it helps you. I don't know the thread count. A common hardware stores, they only have two sized like Lowes and HomeDepo. But I would check there for a screw.
    Awesome! I actually have a bunch of metric bolts that I use for 3d printing and might have one that will fit, though not with the cap head. Will see if I can find one that fits, if so I can measure the thread count on it. Thanks!

06 Fillister-head screw M6X16-8.8-ZNS3 1 07119906392

Is the part on:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=23_0288

Good luck.

John
    Was able to find one by the part description ( M6X16-8.8-ZNS3 ) on Amazon. Will take that a bit to arrive so I will check the local BMW place (Engle Motors) to see if they have one available. Also seems like they use the same bolt a lot on their cars so the BMW car dealers might have. Anyway, thanks again for the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by skeive View Post
    Was able to find one by the part description ( M6X16-8.8-ZNS3 ) on Amazon. Will take that a bit to arrive so I will check the local BMW place (Engle Motors) to see if they have one available. Also seems like they use the same bolt a lot on their cars so the BMW car dealers might have. Anyway, thanks again for the assistance.
    You can always get a longer one - say 6x20 and cut it off to 16mm. The important thing to me is the Grade 8.8 specification.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Interesting that you have an add-on part to extend the reach on your shifter. The silver part is not on my bike but I could have used another inch for my feet.
    2003 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    You can always get a longer one - say 6x20 and cut it off to 16mm. The important thing to me is the Grade 8.8 specification.
    Went by Engle's today and they found a different part number than the one posted here. And it was a M6x20mm rather than 16mm. Didn't have time to try and put it on tonight, but will reply back with which size ended up being right. Have an M6x16 coming in from Amazon, but won't be here for a week.

Interesting that you have an add-on part to extend the reach on your shifter. The silver part is not on my bike but I could have used another inch for my feet.
    Yeah, think it was a kit that lowered both the shifter and the brake controls down a bit. I think my uncle is the one who added it to try and get a better angle for his knees. Works well for me.

I did ask at my BMW shop and they said the kit wasn't something BMW offered. So not sure who the manufacturer is on that.

Yeah, think it was a kit that lowered both the shifter and the brake controls down a bit. I think my uncle is the one who added it to try and get a better angle for his knees. Works well for me.

I did ask at my BMW shop and they said the kit wasn't something BMW offered. So not sure who the manufacturer is on that.
    This also means the bolt length may not match the original one.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

There used to be at least two manufacturers offering peg-lowering kits for the brick RS/GT bikes, but Verholen is the only one I know still offering such a kit:

http://pirateslair.net/VerPegLowKitRS.htm

And yes, the kits included an extension to lower the shift lever.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Thanks, I will keep that in mind to add an extender. I missed the extender option when I was searching last Fall. At the moment, the original is working ok for me.
    2003 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    This also means the bolt length may not match the original one.
    Last follow up. Looks like the one that Engle's found in the parts fiche was the right one. It was M6x20mm.

I checked to make sure it fits, and it snugged up nice and tight. I added some blue thread lock and torqued it, so hopefully I don't lose it again

Thanks a lot for the info everyone!