Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dunlop vs Michelin

Quote Originally Posted by tlcoulter View Post
    My Ď14 RT just turned over 24000 miles, and I had my 5th set of tires installed today. They first set (Continental Attack) lasted 6012 miles, the second set (Michelin PR3) got 5584 miles, the third set (Michelin PR4) got 6024 miles, and the fourth set (Metzler Roadtec 01) had 6389 miles. The Metzlers still had a couple hundred miles of tread left. The fifth set, installed today, is Dunlop Roadsmart 3.

I am 72 years old, and I donít ride aggressively. I always have a topbox and it, along with the panniers, are usually full of stuff. I never have a passenger. I live in east Tennessee, close to the Dragon, so most of the roads are curvy, but about half of my miles are on interstates.

I am puzzled why my tire mileage is so low, especially after reading posts on here by you guys claiming to get over 10000 miles on a set.
    My first question would be what is the pavement surface like where you ride the most: smooth asphalt or abrasive chip seal? My second question would be what air pressures are you running?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    My first question would be what is the pavement surface like where you ride the most: smooth asphalt or abrasive chip seal? My second question would be what air pressures are you running?
    My third question would be what is the average daily temperature?
    My fourth question would be what is your average speed on the Interstate?

I ran through my original set of Metzeler Z8 in 9,500 km during a trip to the Deal's Gap. 2/3 of it was Interstates.
    Since I mostly ride in the north east, I average 15,000 km per set, where you find cooler temps and I avoid the slab as much as possible. I only run PR4 GTs.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    A lot of my riding is on the Foothills Parkway in east Tennessee. I was talking to a fellow RT owner when I was getting my tires changed. He said he gets about 4000 miles on a set, and he claimed that the surface of the Foothills Parkway - the old section - is notorious for eating tires. I wil try to avoid that road; besides the new section of the Parkway is much better!

I check my tire pressures regularly, and I used to run 38/42, but in the past half year or so I have gone to 40/42. All of my front tires develop cupping early in their lives.
    Last edited by tlcoulter; 03-17-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    My third question would be what is the average daily temperature?
    My fourth question would be what is your average speed on the Interstate?
    The summers here in east Tennessee are long, hot, and muggy; the winters are short, very cold, and wet; and it is partly cloudy year round. The average high from May through September is over 80F.

My average speed on interstates is 75-80.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguns View Post
    I'm starting to shop around for tires. I've used Michelin Road Pilot's in the past but swapped over to Dunlop Roadsmarts on the last set. I have since traded bikes, so this will be a different bike for the either brand.

Dunlop claims a couple of thousand miles more than the Michelin's, as well as better braking distance in both wet & dry surfaces. Yes, I know there's marketing hype involved but so far I've not seen any rebuttal from Michelin, so AFAIK the Dunlop claims are indeed true.

My bike is a 2016 RT, so the Road Pilot 4's are not available yet, as per the other thread in here. While I may get caught out in the rain, I strive to NOT ride in the rain at all if I can help it. My biggest concern is mileage, thus the appeal of the Dunlops.

Does anyone else besides me have any road time on the Dunlops? Thoughts?
    Save 50% and go to Cycle Gear and buy the Angel STs for your bike. Will stick like glue and last almost as long. Not as good in the heavy rain. But thatís what riding modes are for anyway. The Pirelliís are a good tire and a very good buy for an RT. If they are good enough for a 158 HP Multistrada there good enough for an RT. Just so you know I ride both an RT and a Multistrada GT. The GT also carries more weight in a better distribution. Itís a far more versatile bike. RT is more roomy and comfy. However the GT is so much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

The last set of tires we had were the regular Pilot Road 4 in the back and Road 5 in the front.
    The front tires wore uneven so I'm not interested in trying that combo again.
    I'm going to run up to Cycle Clinic in Des Moines tomorrow for new Roadsmart 3 front tires.
    Both fronts are down to 2/32".
    Mileage was approx 8,000 and 8,500 miles. I think this is the shortest mileage for us on a front tire.

3-20-19 (1).jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT