Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Riding Gear at MOA Rally

While I am a big fan of supporting my local dealer, purchasing BMW riding gear requires a 125 mile round trip ride on the interstate through Atlanta's horrid traffic. His inventory of BMW gear is limited, so I often end up with Klim. Not that Klim is second tier or anything (I consider it the equal of BMW gear), but I can order it through Revzilla and have it in three days. Revzilla's return policy is excellent and customer service is top-notch. Still, I will always call my dealer to see if he has the Klim in stock and if so try to make the purchase at his store or have him order it if I can wait for it to arrive and then arrange a trip up to get it.

I guess my point is that I would probably want to already have the gear in advance of the Rally so that I could enjoy it on that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by brianhinton View Post
    Keep in mind that there are 3 dealers in the area...Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville. Theres also Huntsville Alabama,
    I didn't realize there were 4 shops that close.
    Nashville is 35 miles
    Chattanooga is 135 miles
    Huntsville is 135 miles
    Knoxville is 150 miles

I did not figure the distance right to the shop.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

At last years MOA Des Moines rally, BMW had a seminar on their riding gear. I thought it was worthwhile to listen to and ask questions. However, they did not bring much to look at. If BMW has this seminar again this year, I plan to attend.
    2014 R1200 GSA (Property taxes & registration: $309), 1992 K75s (Property taxes & registration: $37)

What about vendors like Clearwater, RKA, Wunderlich, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ARMYMUTT View Post
    What about vendors like Clearwater, RKA, Wunderlich, etc?
    Those type vendors are typically there. As for garment vendors I would not expect Aerostich. One of the nearby dealers might be there but would expect only a sampling of BMW gear. There will be, however, several vendors offering all sort of gear from jackets and pants to inflating vests, helmets, boots, gloves. And all kinds of other moto related products. Hard-part accessories will be in abundance from windshields to engine guards. Also expect gadgets galore including GPS units, communications stuff etc.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Typically the vendor list isn't published until fairly close to the Rally itself (IIRC, 4-6 weeks). My assumption is that, like most everything else with putting on such an event every year, there is plenty to do and precious time to get everything confirmed, locked-down and published.

I like to support and buy local as well and do as much as possible, but, like most, dealers can't stock everything, so given the broad selection of sizes (not necessarily models, etc.) available at the Rallies, I use that opportunity to make sure I can determine the proper sizing for just about everything of interest. At Des Moines for instance, I test fitted the Shoei Neotec II and found the proper sizing so that if I change from a Schuberth to the Neotec II there won't be any issue with knowing what size I need. That leaves me open to having my dealer order one if they don't have it in stock, buying online, etc.

One suggestion, if you know some specific items that you will be interested in buying but want to be sure of how much you like them, sizing, fit, etc., you could always contact their marketing department and let them know you'd like them to have those specific items in and around your size range available at the Rally if possible. Never hurts to ask.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Hard-part accessories will be in abundance from windshields to engine guards. Also expect gadgets galore including GPS units, communications stuff etc.
    That's good to know. I want to get some highway pegs that work with my OEM engine guard and some rear guards as well. Maybe I can talk the boss into letting me spring for some Clearwater lights.

The last few years there has been a tendancy for some of the vendors not to bring mechandise to sell but to offer discount cupons. Last year at DesMoines twisted throttle was a prime example of this.That way they did not have to bring installers or the merchandise itself. Touratech and Wunderlich were not even in attendance for the first time since I have been going to nationals. I had talked to the KLIM rep before the event and he said he would not be there, that the individual vendors of his products would be able to handle it. Then he added "what would you rather be doing in July sweating in Iowa or riding dual sport in Colorado" had to agree with him though I ended up doing both!
    Knick
    R1200GS
    Vespa ET4

At least this year, Wunderlich isn't all that far away from the rally.