• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Identifying a 2013 K1600 GT from a 2012

jamo

I've been looking at a used K1600GT. It's said to be 2013. When I look up the colors for 2013, I do not see the Ivory White color that was a 2012 color, but that is the color it is. Also, the PIAA lights are mounted on the front wheel axle rather than on the engine guards. Is that where they were mounted in 2013?

2013 k1600gt.jpg

Also the VIN # is: WB1061107DZX81360

2012 colors are Light Grey Metallic and Vermilion Red.
Those lights are aftermarket add-on.
That VIN # is for a 2013. And the color looks like Silver.
Or maybe someone changed the fairings or a factory color overrun late 2012 into early 2013...I dunno.

Joe

As mentioned above it may be a late build 2012 in Light Grey Metallic.
Light Grey Metallic can look white in the right light.

My bike id blue and Light Grey Metallic and a lot of people think it's blue and white.

Baby Head (2).JPG

poster 61996, above, says the VIN is for a 2013.

But when I google the Vin #, the second result is for "vindecorderz." That site identifies the VIN as being for a 2012. Isn't that correct? Why would it be for a 2013?

And wouldn't the PIAA lights been standard equipment mounted elsewhere on a 2013?

And wouldn't the PIAA lights been standard equipment mounted elsewhere on a 2013?

I don't know what the OEM mount looks like for BMW Auxiliary lights.
I'm guessing the PIAA lights and mount were cheaper than the BMW option.
Usually with aftermarket lights there are several options for mounting locations.

From BMW Motorad USA, color options the GT for 2012 were: "Color options for the K 1600 GT are light grey metallic and vermillion red metallic. "

The bike in question is undoubtedly light grey metalic.

From BMWMCMAG.com I get the following information:

"BMW Motorrad 2013 Model Updates
JULY 6, 2012"

"BMW K1600GT. From model year 2013 the BMW K1600GT is available in the following new paint finishes:

Dark graphite metallic
Montego blue metallic

The paint finish Vermilion red metallic is no longer available. The LED additional headlamps are available as of October 2012 as a new option for the K1600GT (previously only for the K1600GTL). In the 5.7-inch TFT color screen on the instrument panel, there is now an optional digital speed display or the logo “6”."

So, does that imply that light grey metalic was still available in 2013? Plus, the bike in question is a premium option bike. Why wouldn't it have the factory PIAA lights?

Typically BMW shuts down in August and when production resumes in September that starts the new model year. So that would mean this bike would be considered a 2013. Maybe they had left over body work from July. This scheme is not ironclad. The R1100RS was introduced in very early 1993 - Voni's was built in March of 1993 and the MSO said it was a 1994, and it has been titled as a 1994 ever since.

Factually, the bike is a model year as designated on the original MSO from BMW. Sometimes a DMV will screw up and title other than as on the MSO but this is pretty rare I think.

I think this owner has a highly rare wrong color 2013. It must be a classic, like a rare misprinted stamp. Maybe not! :scratch

Back