Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Road Pilot 5

wanderer
    FWIW I've had PR 5s on my R1200RS for over a year...in fact just put on the 2nd front to pass inspection. Very satisfied...so much so I see no reason to change.

My BMW dealer installed these with no comment about needing a GT tire. I agree with the earlier post that says if the tire meets the recommended specs....that should be good enough!

I see no need unless some one wants a stiffer (harsher riding) side wall.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
    FWIW I've had PR 5s on my R1200RS for over a year...in fact just put on the 2nd front to pass inspection. Very satisfied...so much so I see no reason to change.

My BMW dealer installed these with no comment about needing a GT tire. I agree with the earlier post that says if the tire meets the recommended specs....that should be good enough!

It seems that there is a misunderstanding. I was told the GT doesn't have stiffer sidewalls but an extra belt. This would be why they both have the same weight rating.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by vtbob View Post

I also have Road 5s on my R1200RS and currently have over 4,00o miles on them. They are a great all around tire. On my recent trip to Helen, GA they were great in the 400 plus miles of rain. Sometimes the rain was significant for miles on end. Once down in northern GA the Road 5s were excellent on the twisty roads.

When I need new tires I will be replacing them with another set of Road 5s.

I just read on two French motorcycle websites, this one and this one that the Road 5 GT is now available, however I haven't found any other source. Not even Michelin's own website.
    Maybe it's going to be a France only tire?
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Color me confused!

What is the big gripe? That a manufacturer recommends a certain tire, but no others? I have been riding for 50 years and buy tires that fit, not what is recommended. I have neve looked at manufacturer's recommendations, just size, speed and weight spec's. Have we all gone crazy since the arrival of the internet?
    In this case the manufacturer's recomendation of using a "GT" tire is completely valid. The relatively heavy BMW RT needs a GT tire for longevity. I've worn out two sets of "GT" tires on my 2018 RT. I got about 15,000 km out of a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z8 tires and the same from a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires. Without knowing better I then installed a set of Road 5 tires. Thought I'd give another shop some business. Road 5 GTs weren't available yet. Big mistake. They were toasted after only 10,000 km. The Road 5 GT is now available in Europe and Canada. I have a set. They're great (so far). We'll see how many kilometres the Road 5 GTs last.

Cheers!
    Gord - Current bike: 2018 R1200RT.

Past BMWs: '77 R100S, '77 R100RS, ('75 2002)

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    I just read on two French motorcycle websites, this one and this one that the Road 5 GT is now available, however I haven't found any other source. Not even Michelin's own website.
    Maybe it's going to be a France only tire?
    The Visor Shop has them and are pretty good price wise. I got them in 2 days to PA and have gotten other stuff from them and they ship very fast.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    The Visor Shop has them and are pretty good price wise. I got them in 2 days to PA and have gotten other stuff from them and they ship very fast.
    I bought my Road 5 GTs from The Visor Shop. The price was great, even after paying for shipping, customs, and handling through DHL. The very next week, early November, my BMW dealer here had them on the shelf. I got 2000 km on them before parking for the Winter. Love them.
    Gord - Current bike: 2018 R1200RT.

Past BMWs: '77 R100S, '77 R100RS, ('75 2002)

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Yeah, it took michelin a while but now even my favourite local shop and my dealer have then in stock.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    It seems that there is a misunderstanding. I was told the GT doesn't have stiffer sidewalls but an extra belt. This would be why they both have the same weight rating.
    Michelin's web site has a 120/70/17 in GT and standard, both load rating 58 and a 190/55/17 GT and standard both at load rating 75 !! According to another Michelin web page the GT is described as ... well, it's still not clear.

p.s. I also found a good load rating guide.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    Michelin's web site has a 120/70/17 in GT and standard, both load rating 58 and a 190/55/17 GT and standard both at load rating 75 !! According to another Michelin web page the GT is described as ... well, it's still not clear.

p.s. I also found a good load rating guide.
    Load rating is part of it. But that in and of itself does not explain either carcass stiffness or squirm. And these latter factors have an effect on handling regardless of load rating alone.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Load rating is part of it. But that in and of itself does not explain either carcass stiffness or squirm. And these latter factors have an effect on handling regardless of load rating alone.
    Yep, but like I always thought the GT was a higher rating. It's fine that it's not, just confusing as to the structure. Something is there for handling the higher end of the load range.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"