Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79

Thread: Road Pilot 5

  1. #61
    Registered User pappy35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by rwl1955 View Post
    All set, $605.00 installed. The Tech snapped off the key on my FOB trying to remove the bags. They're ordering me a new one.
    $605 for a pair of tires? Holy Hanna!!!
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

  2. #62
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,301
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    $605 for a pair of tires? Holy Hanna!!!
    A fella I patched a tire on his GSW for had a quote for the rear only mount/balance of around $320. Tires aren't cheap, but the labor rates nowadays seem high. One does what they need to do.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  3. #63
    Registered User Rinty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,330
    Quote Originally Posted by rwl1955 View Post
    The Tech snapped off the key on my FOB trying to remove the bags. They're ordering me a new one.
    I'd read that the pin can snap, so I ordered a steel key when I bought my new RS last month, and keep it on the same ring as the plastic one. It's just for use on the luggage and the seat.
    Rinty

  4. #64
    Registered User alegerlotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    $605 for a pair of tires? Holy Hanna!!!
    I got a new set of Continental RoadAttack 3 GT tires yesterday for $449 mounted, balanced, and out the door with California sales tax.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Ma.
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    $605 for a pair of tires? Holy Hanna!!!
    and that was with "free" mounting and balancing. I priced them online and the front was around $150.0 and the rear around $180-$200. MAX was around $550.0 mounted.

  6. #66
    Registered User pappy35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    451
    I took the wheels off and took them to my dealer. Bridgestone Battlax T31 GT's, mounted and balanced, $329. Done.

    Michelin's are nice tires but I'll never notice the difference that $300 makes (probably none).

    PS - Forgot the $60 rebate so $269.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Ma.
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I took the wheels off and took them to my dealer. Bridgestone Battlax T31 GT's, mounted and balanced, $329. Done.

    Michelin's are nice tires but I'll never notice the difference that $300 makes (probably none).

    PS - Forgot the $60 rebate so $269.
    not many dealers will mount tires for you that you bought off the internet, they cite liability but we know they want the markup/profit. I live in a apartment complex and don't have the work area to remove the wheels. Like I said I priced the tires online and could have purchased a set for around $350.0.

  8. #68
    Registered User pappy35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by rwl1955 View Post
    not many dealers will mount tires for you that you bought off the internet, they cite liability but we know they want the markup/profit. I live in a apartment complex and don't have the work area to remove the wheels. Like I said I priced the tires online and could have purchased a set for around $350.0.
    Ah, yeah, been there. I didn't think about that scenario. My dealer initially quoted me like $130 for mounting the tires. Then a couple of weeks later I asked again and it was ~$40 each +tax. Go figure.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    I got a new set of Continental RoadAttack 3 GT tires yesterday for $449 mounted, balanced, and out the door with California sales tax.
    Geez you ate up the first set already?!

  10. #70
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    397
    33 dollars a wheel off the bike at my Yamaha place. They been changing tires and inspecting my bikes for 25 years now.

    I do always try to get them to beat the price but I always save at least the install price off line, but they know I keep trying to buy from them. We did on Patricia's RoadSmart's so they got a little there. It worked our with the rebate to throw them a bone and we did.

    I would could never pay that for tires.

    You can get them from Ireland here for around 400 dollars to your door. I have a set for my GS. Took like 3 days to get here.

    https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Mich...s/m-22031.aspx
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

  11. #71
    Registered User alegerlotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    Geez you ate up the first set already?!
    I got a puncture in my rear tire about a month ago and the BMW MOA road hazard paid to replace it... it just took a month to do because the rear tire was on backorder (I rode on an internal patch until the tire was available). Since I had 5K miles on the tires already, I replaced the front one at my own cost (it was becoming a bit scalloped).
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

  12. #72
    Registered User patm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    365
    Any news on the Road 5 GT's availability? It's been a while since I heard anything.
    Pat

    Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

  13. #73
    while on the road this winter the service manager in a BMW dealership told me they had some road 5's in stock. he had no feed back on their use on the RT's yet though. I bought a road 5 for the front and had no issues with it and got alittle over 15k . Just yesterday I installed new road 5's on the front and back of my 2015 RT.I had left the tires in the sun for quite awhile and they were good and warm. But they still seemed harder to install than
    the road pilot 4's i had been running. Stiffer side wall? They seem to ride and handle as good as any other tire and maybe last alittle longer so I'm giving another set a try

  14. #74
    I put a set of Road 5s on my 2015 RT last year June 2018. Approximately 5000 Kms on them now (some gravel) and overall I like them. The handling seems fine to me and they actually perform quite well on gravel.

    My only concern is their longevity, I have heard reports that they won't make 10,000 Kms.

    Would love to hear what kind of milage people are getting with theirs.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by rtp_130 View Post
    I put a set of Road 5s on my 2015 RT last year June 2018. Approximately 5000 Kms on them now (some gravel) and overall I like them. The handling seems fine to me and they actually perform quite well on gravel.

    My only concern is their longevity, I have heard reports that they won't make 10,000 Kms.

    Would love to hear what kind of milage people are getting with theirs.
    I got 8000kms out of mine! Brutal...I went back to the GT4s....4th set now and love them. The 5's are all hype in an effort to sell you new tires....imo.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2017, 11:35 PM
  2. Pilot Road 3 vs. Pilot Road 4GT?
    By skrusich in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-10-2017, 06:37 PM
  3. New Pilot Road 4 GT's
    By glwestcott in forum Gear
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-17-2015, 11:56 PM
  4. Pilot Road II's
    By bandman in forum Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 04:10 AM
  5. Michelin Pilot Road or Pilot Road 2????
    By kyoung in forum Gear
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 02:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •