Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Road Pilot 5

Question

called AJ's Cycle in Erving Ma. about new tires and he stated he's been installing the RP 5's on RT's and no complaints. He's a former BMW dealer that still does service and he said he would install the 4's or 5's on my 2016 RT. what is the recommendation from the experts on this thread? I ride solo and don't carry much weight usually.

Quote Originally Posted by rwl1955 View Post
    I ride solo and don't carry much weight usually.
    Hello rwl1995 - I think if you look at the specifications for the Michelin Road 5 in the RT's size, the speed/weight capacity of the two tires is W58 (520 pounds for the front) and W73 (805 pounds for the rear) for a total of 1325#. I'm in the same riding mode you are...riding solo with not much extra weight. FWIW, I run the front tire on my 2015 RT at 38# and the rear at 42#. Since Michelin hasn't produced that Road 5 GT yet, the speed/weight rating is unknown. For the PR4GT the rear is W75.

Last July I replaced Michelin PR4GTs with the Road 5s. Now, about 4000 miles later, I've enjoyed the grip the tires have in the rain, the lack of noise and generally pleasant ride. I also ran a track day in Palmer, MA (Tony's Track Days) on these tires, and have been liking them ever since. So the bike weighs, say 615#, the rider (me) 230#, and for a long trip, luggage would add another 50# for a total weight of: 895#. That leaves a margin of 430# of weight capacity.

That said, I have had conversations with other RT riders who've spoken about the excessive noise the Road 5s make, their observations that they feel "squirmy" in corners, and that they wear out quickly. I have not observed that. Of course, it's all anecdotal, both their observations and mine. Clearly, Michelin does not recommend the standard Road 5 for RTs.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by rapz View Post
    I went with the ContiRoadAttack 3 since last summer and been very happy with them.
    Same here. I like them much better than the Michelin PR4's that came with it. Great tire!

Thanks guys, it seems the difference is sidewall rigidity. is this correct? I have 13,000 on the stock RP4's and they've been great. Best tires I've ever had on a motorcycle. I rode 100 highway miles Saturday and 50 backroads and the 4's are still working well but I'm leaning towards the 5's. Gman, I'm looking at the track days in Palmer, how was it?

Thanks guys, it seems the difference is sidewall rigidity.
    Well, Michelin advertising says that the R5 is better in the rain due to engineering of the tread as one difference. Michelin says an R5GT model is coming, but unknown date of availability...but until then they say use the PR4GT for the RT.

On a side note, since you're out in the best part of Massachusetts, do you have a recommendation for a great Chinese restaurant near Holyoke?
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

I did a couple of days on the track with my R1200RS on PR4s. The only problem with the handling was with the bloke holding the handlebars.398B648C-110B-4A99-8B30-D3BC8DB0BB4D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lupinblue View Post
    I did a couple of days on the track with my R1200RS on PR4s. The only problem with the handling was with the bloke holding the handlebars.
    Nonetheless, a very intense experience I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by lupinblue View Post
    I did a couple of days on the track with my R1200RS on PR4s. The only problem with the handling was with the bloke holding the handlebars.
    Pretty impressive set of chicken strips, if you ask me.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Well, Michelin advertising says that the R5 is better in the rain due to engineering of the tread as one difference. Michelin says an R5GT model is coming, but unknown date of availability...but until then they say use the PR4GT for the RT.

On a side note, since you're out in the best part of Massachusetts, do you have a recommendation for a great Chinese restaurant near Holyoke?
    How about Thai? I've eaten here, very good in South Hadley on RT.202.
    So you recommend the 5's?

How about Thai? I've eaten here, very good in South Hadley on RT.202.
    So you recommend the 5's?
    I use PR5 on my 2009RT. Ride mostly solo. Iím pretty aggressive on the throttle and I really like the 5. Iíve run the Pirelli Angle GTs on my Multistrada and Iíve burned off two sets of those on that bike. The Angles are not a rain tire like the Road 4s or 5 is, thatís for sure. But they stick like glue when I am leaned over and crank on those 150 horses exiting the corners. I canít believe how good Tires are these days. Itís truly amazing.

I can remember drifting fronts and rears on my 1994 VFR1000F like on a dirt bike! It used to be fun leaving big black lines exiting corners on your favorite highway entrance ramp. Now stability control makes my life boring, but safer. I do miss those greasy tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool

Alan at AJ's called his Michelin distributor and he recited the company line about the non-GT5's not suitable for the RT so I'm sticking w/the 4's. Oh well, the 4's are the best MC tire I've ever had on a bike so no problem's.

Alan at AJ's called his Michelin distributor and he recited the company line about the non-GT5's not suitable for the RT so I'm sticking w/the 4's. Oh well, the 4's are the best MC tire I've ever had on a bike so no problem's.
    Michelin is right. The GT version of these tires have a stiffer sidewall which prevents flexing that occurs with a heavier load. I go with the PR4 GTs on my RT because they are more stable in the curves that the regular PR4s and they last longer.

what is the recommendation from the experts on this thread? I ride solo and don't carry much weight usually.
    This is a coincidence, as I just took delivery of a new R1200RS, and the briefer at the dealer, who gave me a detailed review of new machine, told me it came with Pilot Road 4's and that he preferred them to the 5's.

I think the decision may come down to how much the subject bike weighs and personal preference.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by taran1900 View Post
    Michelin is right. The GT version of these tires have a stiffer sidewall which prevents flexing that occurs with a heavier load. I go with the PR4 GTs on my RT because they are more stable in the curves that the regular PR4s and they last longer.
    Different tire but that's gotta be why my RT feels like it handles so much better now with the new Battlax T31 GT's I just put on. I mean, seriously, I thought the shocks were going even though the bike only has 13,500 miles on it.

When I bought it last year the dealer put on a set of ContiMotions which, looking at them now, do not have a GT spec carcass! With the old rubber, the bike always felt loose, wobbly even, in turns (especially through bumpy turns). Now the bike goes through like it should. Just like it's on rails!

Reading this thread got me thinking about it. Now I know what carcass weave feels like! I don't know about the PR5's but I now definitely believe the a GT-spec tire is not an option on machines in this weight class.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

All set, $605.00 installed. The Tech snapped off the key on my FOB trying to remove the bags. They're ordering me a new one.