Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Pilot 5

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    Oh brother. Dude, you need to get unwound from that axel. Life ticks inexorably by and I've got friends, family, and work that need my attention. That some faceless corporation allegedly baits and switches a product I can easily avoid doesn't even raise a casual interest in me. I suspect that I spend a lot less time in an "I'm outraged! We HAVE TO FIGHT!!!" mental state.

Be The Dude, Dude.
    Well if you have all those things that need your attention, you should not be replying to my post and paying attention to those things.

That is the problem with the world, complicity.

Just stand by and watch things happen and say oh "it does not raise a casual interest in me" well that is until it affects you Dude.

I have no "HAVE TO FIGHT" mentality but by no means will I be bent over when I am spending my money. It came too hard to me. Maybe you trust fund baby's can just say hey support corporate America no matter what.

If you think it is fair business practice and you like the company and it's product buy it for sure.

My POINT is the tire is rated to use on our bike. It is stamped on the sidewall and says it meets the criteria of speed, weight, and size. BUT NO. you need a more expensive version with the SAME stamps on them.

And there must be an echo here, as I said "I vote with your wallet", that does not imply I am in a "I'm outraged! We HAVE TO FIGHT!!! mental state." That means I do not support a business that I feel is ripping people off.

Maybe at my age I should not be surprised by corporate greed and consumers willingness to follow like sheep to the slaughter.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Hmm, that's odd.

My current set of tires are the "Road 5"s (went out and double checked the sidewall) and currently have 15,000 miles on them.

Granted I did get the first set into the dealership and it just turned out I needed tires around 69,000 miles so I gave them a try.

So far so good.

AD (2014 RTW)
    Yes I had bought a set for my RT and would have run them no issues. IMHO they are fine on the bike.

I rode a LOT of PR3 tires with no issues and not a GT in sight, or ever spoken about those tires.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by rapz View Post
    I went with the ContiRoadAttack 3 since last summer and been very happy with them.
    I went with Dunlop TrailSmart 3's this time on the GS and love them. Patricia went with Dunlop RoadSmart 3's on her Vulcan and loves them.

Plenty of great priced tires out there to try and you may be surprised by the one that works best for you.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    ...It came too hard to me. Maybe you trust fund baby's can just say hey support corporate America no matter what.
    Make assumptions much? If I had a trust fund I'd riding a brand new Beemer, not a 6 year old used one I bought last year. You really do need to chill out a little Dude.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    Make assumptions much? If I had a trust fund I'd riding a brand new Beemer, not a 6 year old used one I bought last year. You really do need to chill out a little Dude.
    Not your Dude.

And I am chill. I am not because I will not accept your lackadaisical attitude to a corporation inventing their own tire size?

Again since you seem to be a bit slow, the tire is speed, weight, and size rated for the bike.

However this tire manufacturer has taken it upon itself to build a tire to specifications as mandated by tire manufactures for 60 years and say" nope we stamped that tire to your bikes specs but we are only kidding, we made a new spec tire and we will charge you to have that one". Even though that spec does not exit in any standardized tire designation.

So two scenarios here. 1 the tire is to spec and will work on the bike as it is stamped and rated. 2 it is not built to the rating stamped onto the side wall and the company has mislabeled the tire and have committed fraud of service to upsell you a GT style.

So Dude I am done with replying to you as you have done nothing to explain how this can be a honest and fair marketing and sales practice.

I am chill and it is not like I do not like their product. I am running the Dunlop out on my factory wheels but have my spare wheels in Trail 5 tires on my GS. I scrubbed them in and love them to death before I put the TrailSmarts 3's back on. So again dont go there on me hatting on this manufacturer.

Spend your money as you see fit. But please do not try and tell me how to spend mine. I will not support a dishonest company.

This is not new stuff went through all this with Metzler and the 880 on the LT model bikes many years ago.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Jeeeezzz, this thread is turning into a new darksiders thread. To Road 5 or not to Road 5.

Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    Jeeeezzz, this thread is turning into a new darksiders thread. To Road 5 or not to Road 5.

I'm The Dude, then there's Walter (you all can decide who's playing him), and the rest of you are Donnie.

"This aggression will not stand...man..."

"...you know, that PR5 really tied the room together...man..."

thebiglebowski-anniversary.jpg
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

If I were in the market, and if the sidewall says the tire meets specs I would buy the tire, mount it, and ride happy. I have used probably 20 or more tires not specifically recommended by BMW but which met specs with no ill consequences. Sometimes we just have to be the adult in the room. Sometimes not.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If I were in the market, and if the sidewall says the tire meets specs I would buy the tire, mount it, and ride happy. I have used probably 20 or more tires not specifically recommended by BMW but which met specs with no ill consequences. Sometimes we just have to be the adult in the room. Sometimes not.
    Exactly!

I had a set of Road 5's for my 15 RT for stock and was going to run them. I then sold the RT and returned the tires. I would have NO issue running a tire rated for my bike and the Road 5 as it stands IS rated for a RT.

My issue is not will the tire hold up to a RT. My issue is a company putting out a spec tire then telling a group of bikes in that weight/speed/size ahh no you cant run them they do not fit your brand of bike.

If I was still on a RT I would be running them without a thought.

As a matter of fact my set of Trail 5's came from Ireland. You cant buy Trail 5's in GS size in the USA yet.

The interesting thing is why are they taking so long and with delay's to bring the Road 5 GT to market?
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Color me confused!

What is the big gripe? That a manufacturer recommends a certain tire, but no others? I have been riding for 50 years and buy tires that fit, not what is recommended. I have neve looked at manufacturer's recommendations, just size, speed and weight spec's. Have we all gone crazy since the arrival of the internet?

MAX BMW in CT. is storing my bike for the winter so in a few weeks I will call Kyle and ask him if he has any additional info. The OEM 4's on the bike are fantastic, best MC tires I've ever ridden on.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Color me confused!

What is the big gripe? That a manufacturer recommends a certain tire, but no others? I have been riding for 50 years and buy tires that fit, not what is recommended. I have neve looked at manufacturer's recommendations, just size, speed and weight spec's. Have we all gone crazy since the arrival of the internet?
    And my biggest point. It is not BMW saying the tire wont fit on a RT. It is the tire manufacturer saying even though it is spec for your bike you cant use it, you need to buy this GT spec tire in the EXACT size/speed/weight, but paying more for a GT designation.

Like I said I ran many PR3 tires and there was never a problem, they wore good, the least amount of cupping I have seen on a tire on a RT, they handled great no issues. And NO GT spec.

Then comes the PR4 and a GS designation. The only 4's I ran were ok but cupping was a issue.

Again there must be an issue for them taking so long to bring the Road 5 to market with a GT designation.

Again not bashing the tires themselves as the Road 3 was a fantastic tire and the Trail 5 in the few miles I have on them are a great tire also.

But my Dunlop TrailSmart's are wearing super well, no cupping, little flat spot coming on the rear at 6200 miles. I have a set of Perille sitting in stock for when I wear the TrailSmart out on the stock wheels. And the Trail 5 on my spare set of wheels.

A bunch of tires to try out there and one may work for you and another for me in what we want from tires.

What I dont want is to have to pay more for a tire that is the same as another tire in my size but has a GT designation. But it goes back to you marked this tire is my size/speed/weight but you say it will not work on my bike.

I can move right down the tire rack and pull a Dunlop or a Conti or a Shinko or any other brand tire and it works on my bike.

I am with you or anyone else if the tire is in my size/speed/weight rating I will run it.

As long as consumers do not speak up, manufacturers will continue to take advantage of consumers to make even more money.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Lfarling, no one is stopping you from doing your own reserch and buying any tire you want for your motorcycle. I have never had a tire retailer refuse to sell me a tire. You can put a set of motocross tires on you motorcycle if you can find ones that fit.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Color me confused!

If the GT was ready for market, we probably wouldn't be so angry...
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558