• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Road Pilot 5

Lfarling, no one is stopping you from doing your own reserch and buying any tire you want for your motorcycle. I have never had a tire retailer refuse to sell me a tire. You can put a set of motocross tires on you motorcycle if you can find ones that fit.

Color me confused!

What is the big gripe? That a manufacturer recommends a certain tire, but no others? I have been riding for 50 years and buy tires that fit, not what is recommended. I have neve looked at manufacturer's recommendations, just size, speed and weight spec's. Have we all gone crazy since the arrival of the internet?

If the GT was ready for market, we probably wouldn't be so angry...

Well if you have all those things that need your attention, you should not be replying to my post and paying attention to those things.

That is the problem with the world, complicity.

Just stand by and watch things happen and say oh "it does not raise a casual interest in me" well that is until it affects you Dude.

I have no "HAVE TO FIGHT" mentality but by no means will I be bent over when I am spending my money. It came too hard to me. Maybe you trust fund baby's can just say hey support corporate America no matter what.

If you think it is fair business practice and you like the company and it's product buy it for sure.

My POINT is the tire is rated to use on our bike. It is stamped on the sidewall and says it meets the criteria of speed, weight, and size. BUT NO. you need a more expensive version with the SAME stamps on them.

And there must be an echo here, as I said "I vote with your wallet", that does not imply I am in a "I'm outraged! We HAVE TO FIGHT!!! mental state." That means I do not support a business that I feel is ripping people off.

Maybe at my age I should not be surprised by corporate greed and consumers willingness to follow like sheep to the slaughter.

Go scrub off some more tire and wear off your attitude. Who’s making you buy their tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did live the Pilot IV Tires. I just put a RoadV on my Multistrada and it feels different than the Pirelli GTs that we’re on the front before. I went for the V because it was only $5 more at Cycle Gear. If your interested in getting two tires for the price of one. Cycle Gear has the Pirelli ST tires at a close to half price! So I put an ST Pirelli on the rear and a Road V on the front of my Multistrada 1200. How do you think that bad boy feels all cranked over with your knee out there? Go for a ride, maybe your brain will fix itself.

load ratings

Here is some load rating data for the Michelin Pilot Road 4 and Road 5 tires, size 180/55ZR17

Pilot Road 4: load rating 55, 481 lbs. max weight
Pilot Road 4 GT: load rating 75, 853 lbs. max weight
Road 5: load rating 73, 805 lbs. max weight

Cheers, Cap

Here is some load rating data...

And for the 120/70ZR17 tires, almost all the brands have the same load rating of 520 lbs. The only exception I could find is the Michelin PR4 GT with a load rating of 739 lbs.

For reference, the GVWR for my 2017 R1200RTW is 1091 Lbs.

Here is some load rating data for the Michelin Pilot Road 4 and Road 5 tires, size 180/55ZR17

Pilot Road 4: load rating 55, 481 lbs. max weight
Pilot Road 4 GT: load rating 75, 853 lbs. max weight
Road 5: load rating 73, 805 lbs. max weight

Cheers, Cap
:scratch Where did you get those numbers?
On their web site, Michelin rates the Pilot Road 4, 4 GT and Road 5 for the rear tire at a load rating of 73 or 805 pounds. (180/55 ZR17 73W)
The front tire, Pilot Road 4, 4 GT and Road 5, have also the same load rating of 58 or 520 pounds. (120/70 ZR17 58W)
Those are the sizes that fit the R1200RT LC.

The only tire with a 75 load rating is the 190/55 ZR17 75W which fits the K1600GT and GTL.

The question nobody has answered, here or elsewhere, is why does Michelin recommend a GT spec tire for the RT-LC if the non GT and the GT Spec have the same weight rating?
The only cue on their site is this:

Increased stability for GT bikes

On your own or with a passenger, the new MICHELIN 2AT Technology will ensure you feel totally safe on the straights and when cornering on your GT bike, even when heavily loaded. With their revolutionary structure, MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tyres provide solidity and comfort so they're perfect for long journeys.

:scratch Where did you get those numbers?
On their web site, Michelin rates the Pilot Road 4, 4 GT and Road 5 for the rear tire at a load rating of 73 or 805 pounds. (180/55 ZR17 73W)
The front tire, Pilot Road 4, 4 GT and Road 5, have also the same load rating of 58 or 520 pounds. (120/70 ZR17 58W)
Those are the sizes that fit the R1200RT LC.

The only tire with a 75 load rating is the 190/55 ZR17 75W which fits the K1600GT and GTL.

The question nobody has answered, here or elsewhere, is why does Michelin recommend a GT spec tire for the RT-LC if the non GT and the GT Spec have the same weight rating?

I don’t see the need for RT tires meant for the K1600s. It looks to be overkill. Maybe if you want the extra mileage you will most likely get from the GT Tires?

If you use a higher load range tire you will get a stiffer ride. You may also gain more puncture protection if they employ more belts, which is most likely. You will most likely loose road feel or grip feel because your not going to be loading the bike to maximum loads every time, unless your two up and big eaters! Just sayin.

A stiffer tire heats up less, lasts longer. Are you really puttin 1000 lbs load on each tire? If your bike is 600 wet plus you 850. Plus rally load 900. That’s 450 per tire. Your still not 50% loaded on the GT tire.

Now add a passenger and a trailer and it’s a different story.

It all depends on what your going to do? Maybe just GT in the rear for Rally RT loads?

What you need is two wheels one for Rally loads and GT rear. One for sports touring ?

That’s what I have for one of my bikes. A touring tire and a sport tire wheel. Cool Hugh.

Increased stability for GT bikes

On your own or with a passenger, the new MICHELIN 2AT Technology will ensure you feel totally safe on the straights and when cornering on your GT bike, even when heavily loaded. With their revolutionary structure, MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tyres provide solidity and comfort so they're perfect for long journeys.

How would any one here know the real reason why it says that? Maybe Michelin in some highly secret meeting decided to put it there to screw with customer's heads. Perhaps Michelin feels it is a better tire for the reasons mentioned above. You could call Michelin for us and find out! That still doesn't say you can not run motocross knobbies if you like. Pretty much all manufacturers will make some claim why some tire is the best. It certainly doesn't mean other tires will not work too.

Personally, I could care less which tire they recommend. I would put more faith in what is said on internet groups as to what rider's have experienced with various tires.

Maybe I am reading between the lines but also maybe not. What we do know is that the GT is supposed to have a stiffer sidewall. Then Michelin opines about how you will feel stability with the GT on heavily loaded bikes.

I thus infer that even though the load ratings are the same that the stiffer sidewall will provide less sidewall flexing and tread squirm thus feeling more stable.

More or less why I run 6 or 10 ply LT type instead of 4 ply P type tires on my truck and jeep.

Load Range weight

As I read that, the max tire capacity is 739 lbs. The whole weight of the bike is not all on one tire. Right?

The weight distribution, front and rear, would mean that the bike is within that load range. correct?

Does anyone know what weight each tire puts to the ground on a bike? (asking for a friend)

I actually asked Michelin about a year ago and got this vague non-answer...

Michelin.jpg

I later heard (and I'm sorry that I can't cite the source) that the actual reason is "handling at the limit". I'm not sure what this is the limit of, however. The limit of adhesion? The limit of how loaded the motorcycle is? The limit of the rider's skills? At least its more of an answer than "GT motorcycles require GT Tires". :confused:

Last edited:
How would any one here know the real reason why it says that? Maybe Michelin in some highly secret meeting decided to put it there to screw with customer's heads. Perhaps Michelin feels it is a better tire for the reasons mentioned above. You could call Michelin for us and find out! That still doesn't say you can not run motocross knobbies if you like. Pretty much all manufacturers will make some claim why some tire is the best. It certainly doesn't mean other tires will not work too.

Personally, I could care less which tire they recommend. I would put more faith in what is said on internet groups as to what rider's have experienced with various tires.

I actually do believe the tire engineers but not sales people. You will find the engineers at an event like Americade or by talking to the manufacturers tech lines. Riders really don’t know the real technical effects of temperature or compound adhesion or rate of wear or how does a Silicone based rubber perform in the rain or in a hot desert condition. But compound and carcass engineers do know. You have to separate pride or marketing in a product from the truth.

I actually asked Michelin about a year ago and got this vague non-answer... (and I did ask about the PR5 vs PR4GT, not the PR4 vs the PR4GT)

View attachment 73247

I later heard (and I'm sorry that I can't cite the source) that the actual reason is "handling at the limit". I'm not sure what this is the limit of, however. The limit of adhesion? The limit of how loaded the motorcycle is? The limit of the rider's skills? At least its more of an answer than "GT motorcycles require GT Tires". :confused:

Another thing is what pressures do you run? Those specs are for max pressures not BMWs recommendation for pressures. BMWs recommended pressures give you a nice soft ride not maximum loading capability. You need to be your own decision maker on what tire to run based on how you use the tires. Just understand the range of capabilities then select the tire that meets those requirements. How much rain riding are you doing? Do you live in Washington State, then you ride in a lot of rain, use a rain biased tire design. Do you live in Phoenix, then use a tire for dry surfaces.

If you ride an ST1300 pr a K1600. You don’t have many options. You need a GT type of load rated tire. If you ride an RT, you have options because your bike is the perfect balanced machine for different types of riding. Now knobby Tires are off the list I would say.

As I read that, the max tire capacity is 739 lbs. The whole weight of the bike is not all on one tire. Right?

Yes, and with any rear tire from any popular brand capable of carrying ~800 lbs., and with any front tire from those same brands capable of ~500 lbs., you already have enough carrying capacity to exceed the GVWR of the motorcycle. So, I think, as others have noted, the recommendations from Michelin are probably related to handling characteristics at high loads (and temps and speeds). For example, running two-up with luggage on the interstate in the summer.

Michelin only introduced the GT variant recently. I have been running heavy loads at high speeds in high temps for lots of years while using non GT tires (from Michelin, Dunlop, Metzeler, and Avon), with no problems. I recently switched to a PR4GT on the rear of my R1150RT, and the only difference I noted was that it lasts a LOT longer than the non-GT. So, in my mind, it makes sense to use GT's on the rear anyway. But I wouldn't have any qualms about installing Road 5's on my motos until the GT version is released.

Cap

called AJ's Cycle in Erving Ma. about new tires and he stated he's been installing the RP 5's on RT's and no complaints. He's a former BMW dealer that still does service and he said he would install the 4's or 5's on my 2016 RT. what is the recommendation from the experts on this thread? I ride solo and don't carry much weight usually.

I ride solo and don't carry much weight usually.

Hello rwl1995 - I think if you look at the specifications for the Michelin Road 5 in the RT's size, the speed/weight capacity of the two tires is W58 (520 pounds for the front) and W73 (805 pounds for the rear) for a total of 1325#. I'm in the same riding mode you are...riding solo with not much extra weight. FWIW, I run the front tire on my 2015 RT at 38# and the rear at 42#. Since Michelin hasn't produced that Road 5 GT yet, the speed/weight rating is unknown. For the PR4GT the rear is W75.

Last July I replaced Michelin PR4GTs with the Road 5s. Now, about 4000 miles later, I've enjoyed the grip the tires have in the rain, the lack of noise and generally pleasant ride. I also ran a track day in Palmer, MA (Tony's Track Days) on these tires, and have been liking them ever since. So the bike weighs, say 615#, the rider (me) 230#, and for a long trip, luggage would add another 50# for a total weight of: 895#. That leaves a margin of 430# of weight capacity.

That said, I have had conversations with other RT riders who've spoken about the excessive noise the Road 5s make, their observations that they feel "squirmy" in corners, and that they wear out quickly. I have not observed that. Of course, it's all anecdotal, both their observations and mine. Clearly, Michelin does not recommend the standard Road 5 for RTs.

Back