• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Road Pilot 5

rwl1955

I'll be needing new tires on my 2016 RTW soon and it appears the 5's still aren't available for the RT's. Any one with any info? I went to the Michelin website and the 5's are available for jusr about every other BMW model.

Pilot Road 5 GTs are on hold right now for the RT. Michelin said this summer last year but they are on indefinite hold right now from all the scoruces I have looked.

A few people (me included) have tried Road 5s on RTWs. I never ride with a pillion, tour around mostly, and keep 38# front/ 42# rear. The weight-bearing capacity of the Road 5s is the same, front and rear as the Pilot Road 4 GT.

The two RTW riders I know who've switched away from Road 5s have cited handling issues. I have not observed this, and rode a track day in July 2018 and thought the Road 5s handled the track day very well. I think they're a little noisy, but I wear earplugs all the time, so it's a non-issue with me. They do seem to handle rain very well. I think I spend 50% of my riding time in the rain, so this is a good thing.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

A nit - the Michelin rep at the rally last summer said they've removed the word "Pilot" from the name, apparently people found it too easy to confuse the Pilot Power (sportbike) and the Pilot Road (sport touring) series. Plus the whole Pilot Road vs. Road Pilot issue. You can imagine they are really interested in people calling their products by their proper names.

So although the PR2, PR3, and PR4 are still in their lineup, the improved Pilot Road 4 is not the Pilot Road 5, it's just the Road 5.

I talked to the Michelin rep for the US, he stated that the GT version (which is what he said we should be using on our RT's) won't be available until "late fall of 2019."

I talked to the Michelin rep for the US, he stated that the GT version (which is what he said we should be using on our RT's) won't be available until "late fall of 2019."
Damn, thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to stick to the 4's.

It might just be legal mumbo jumbo but no one says you need GT spec tires. They recommend GT Specs. You decide what is good for you.

Another example of running to a lawyer to solve a problem. There are lots of other motorcycle tires out there. Go buy one of those.

Oh brother. Dude, you need to get unwound from that axel. Life ticks inexorably by and I've got friends, family, and work that need my attention. That some faceless corporation allegedly baits and switches a product I can easily avoid doesn't even raise a casual interest in me. I suspect that I spend a lot less time in an "I'm outraged! We HAVE TO FIGHT!!!" mental state.

Be The Dude, Dude.

I'll be needing new tires on my 2016 RTW soon and it appears the 5's still aren't available for the RT's. Any one with any info? I went to the Michelin website and the 5's are available for jusr about every other BMW model.

Hmm, that's odd.

My current set of tires are the "Road 5"s (went out and double checked the sidewall) and currently have 15,000 miles on them.

Granted I did get the first set into the dealership and it just turned out I needed tires around 69,000 miles so I gave them a try.

So far so good.

AD (2014 RTW)

<snip>...It came too hard to me. Maybe you trust fund baby's can just say hey support corporate America no matter what.

Make assumptions much? If I had a trust fund I'd riding a brand new Beemer, not a 6 year old used one I bought last year. You really do need to chill out a little Dude.

Jeeeezzz, this thread is turning into a new darksiders thread. To Road 5 or not to Road 5. :jester

:lol

:laugh

I'm The Dude, then there's Walter (you all can decide who's playing him), and the rest of you are Donnie.

"This aggression will not stand...man..."

"...you know, that PR5 really tied the room together...man..."

thebiglebowski-anniversary.jpg

If I were in the market, and if the sidewall says the tire meets specs I would buy the tire, mount it, and ride happy. I have used probably 20 or more tires not specifically recommended by BMW but which met specs with no ill consequences. Sometimes we just have to be the adult in the room. Sometimes not. :)

Color me confused!

What is the big gripe? That a manufacturer recommends a certain tire, but no others? I have been riding for 50 years and buy tires that fit, not what is recommended. I have neve looked at manufacturer's recommendations, just size, speed and weight spec's. Have we all gone crazy since the arrival of the internet?

MAX BMW in CT. is storing my bike for the winter so in a few weeks I will call Kyle and ask him if he has any additional info. The OEM 4's on the bike are fantastic, best MC tires I've ever ridden on.

Back